SA Football the early years 1843-1899

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Re: SA Football the early years 1843-1899

Post by bayman on Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm

does anyone know the ''Port Natives'' story ?
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 pm

bayman wrote:does anyone know the ''Port Natives'' story ?

Obviously no one knows the story
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster on Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 am

bayman wrote:

The following is from the official Woodville West Torrens website.

The West Torrens Club, as the fans knew it, had its beginnings from a group of players known as the Port Natives. This was a splinter group of dissatisfied members of the Port Adelaide Football Club, who, in 1894, broke from that Club when unable to get games with Port, and formed their own team known as the Port Natives. This Club was accepted into the Adelaide and Suburban Association and won two Premierships in a row. The success was cut short when the Adelaide and Suburban competition went into a recess. The Port Natives, at their Annual meeting in March 1896, renamed themselves simply “Natives” and were accepted into to South Australian Football Association for that season.
The Natives Club first secretary was John Carr, a member of the Legislative Council and the colours that the Club adopted were Blue and Gold.
G Rimes was the Captain of the team and they finished in fourth position out of five teams. Ironically the team finishing last in that year was Port Adelaide.
With the introduction of district football in 1897, the Club changed its name to West Torrens as it realised that a major number of its players resided in that area. Thus was born the West Torrens Football Club.
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 am

Thanks rr, now I know
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Wed May 16, 2018 8:13 am

rocket_rooster wrote:
bayman wrote:

The following is from the official Woodville West Torrens website.

The West Torrens Club, as the fans knew it, had its beginnings from a group of players known as the Port Natives.  This was a splinter group of dissatisfied members of the Port Adelaide Football Club, who, in 1894, broke from that Club when unable to get games with Port, and formed their own team known as the Port Natives.  This Club was accepted into the Adelaide and Suburban Association and won two Premierships in a row.  The success was cut short when the Adelaide and Suburban competition went into a recess.  The Port Natives, at their Annual meeting in March 1896, renamed themselves simply “Natives” and were accepted into to South Australian Football Association for that season.
The Natives Club first secretary was John Carr, a member of the Legislative Council and the colours that the Club adopted were Blue and Gold.
G Rimes was the Captain of the team and they finished in fourth position out of five teams. Ironically the team finishing last in that year was Port Adelaide.
With the introduction of district football in 1897, the Club changed its name to West Torrens as it realised that a major number of its players resided in that area.  Thus was born the West Torrens Football Club.

I missed this post busy being a school Boy again lol.
I knew about Port Natives
At some stage either all those five teams or some played at Alberton oval
I'm not sure if Port Natives or Natives or west Torrens moved to Hindmarsh oval .
At some time the club did .
Could it be said the wheel has come full circle or almost Alberton Oval while Port Adelaide's Home oval is now in fact in the Woodville West Torrens Zone.
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

Those Natives are involved in the course of history
From 1877-1896 Port Adelaide was kept quiet with only the 1 premiership in 1884

Natives ended in 1896
Port Adelaide finished last in 1896
West Torrens became the 1897 entity

Port Adelaide recovered from the 1896 flop and won their 2nd flag in 1897 and then gradually formed into a 'power'house

Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum