Re: Footy Media - good and bad

Post by Lee on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 am

Obviously 4 times as good as Shane Birss' 40 possessions. Shocked

Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:36 am

An article on the SANFL site about the finals launch talks about West's 5-year finals drought. In the next sentence it says West haven't played finals since 2004 and then repeats that it's a 5-year drought.
In that case, journalism is the first estate.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am

Flag No.9 wrote:An article on the SANFL site about the finals launch talks about West's 5-year finals drought. In the next sentence it says West haven't played finals since 2004 and then repeats that it's a 5-year drought.
In that case, journalism is the first estate.

The same article that refers to the Gowan brothers, skips between capitalising finals and Finals throughout, and, when referring to the Eagles v North Elimination Final, states that the "Eagles have won all three of their meetings this year" (North Adelaide won the Round 5 match by 79 points)?

Not a good look for the official SANFL website.
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 am

I reckon I've sent the SANFL site 3 emails over the years pointing out that on their site, in the list of leading goalkickers for each year (i.e Ken Farmer medallists) they have Bradshaw as kicking 88 goals. I assume that's his total at the end of the minor round, but he ended up with 97 for the year. They must count major round goals as Davies's 151 in 1983 includes major round goals. Needless to say I have never received a reply.

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 am

The leading goalkicker is not necessarily the Ken Farmer medallist. My understanding is the Ken Farmer Medal is only up to the end of the minor round. Why they have Davies at 151, I cannot imagine.
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:27 pm

That's my understanding too AH, but if the Ken Farmer medallist then goes on and kicks a bunch of goals in the finals, that should be recorded as his total, as was the case with Davies.

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:12 pm

I agree. I wish they had restrospective Farmer medallists because my favourite Norwood player of all time, Ian Brewer was the leading goalkicker in 1966 but Eric Freeman booted 6 goals in the finals to pass him.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 am

Roo and Ditts had the scoop today on the 'Rush Hour' when they interviewed King Andy D.

But are they fair dinkum or what?

Sure they asked some hard questions, but then didn't really press Andy on things he should have answered more clearly. Roo's line "pushing along because we have lots of questions".

However, more frustratingly in the middle of this we have to play a Midnight Oil song and then after a few more questions we cut to another song!

Andy comes back to finish off, but seriously why bother? It was all froth and bubble. The show is for lightweights.

They had a golden chance to at least get a reasonable answer but let him off the hook bigtime.

I find their show a tease in general. Just when you get into something worthwhile, they pull back, or cut to a break, or go to song and it's all gone.

Cornesy and Rowe are not really getting much competition methinks.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 am

yeah i hate the song breaks

but as you also highlighted AA are also about looking after there mates
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:06 pm

I haven't listened to AA in many years because, although they are a couple of decent people personally, put a microphone in front of Cornes and Rowe and they become two very annoying people. I also don't understand why a 3 hours "sports" show should be a 2.5 hour discussion about the AFL, particularly Crows and Power, every damned night.

In our office we have Triple M playing in the background all day because of the music. Most times it's switched over at 3pm because, quite frankly, we're just not interested in Dittmar's crap.

If the program starts at 3pm, by 3.03 you've usually heard a mention of the Alma Hotel, or any other business interest they may have getting their free plugs. And Ricciuto is just plain boring, let's face it.

And how's the footy discussion ... "Can the Crows win the flag?". Then we sit there while Crows fans say "yes", and Power fans say "no way". Reporting of sports in Adelaide is infantile.

I'm convinced the Triple M sports shows only exist to give breakfast comedian John Blake some material for his routines.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I haven't listened to AA in many years because, although they are a couple of decent people personally, put a microphone in front of Cornes and Rowe and they become two very annoying people. I also don't understand why a 3 hours "sports" show should be a 2.5 hour discussion about the AFL, particularly Crows and Power, every damned night.

I find this amusing, especially when Rowe is chairman of selectors of the SA State Team. He would have to show some keen interest in SANFL footy to be involved.

I wonder if they are told to what to broadcast instead of following perhaps their own interests. After all, the whole system works on ratings.

howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:53 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:I haven't listened to AA in many years because, although they are a couple of decent people personally, put a microphone in front of Cornes and Rowe and they become two very annoying people. I also don't understand why a 3 hours "sports" show should be a 2.5 hour discussion about the AFL, particularly Crows and Power, every damned night.

I find this amusing, especially when Rowe is chairman of selectors of the SA State Team. He would have to show some keen interest in SANFL footy to be involved.

I wonder if they are told to what to broadcast instead of following perhaps their own interests. After all, the whole system works on ratings.

cornesy and rowey say they just talk about what the callers ring up about which is predominantly afl. so if all us posters rang up to talk sanfl they will talk sanfl BUT the listeners who would be afl biased would switch off.

so i think they are directed to follow bosses orders.

have they discussed the dire straits of some sanfl clubs at length????
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:41 pm

I can't answer that as I haven't listened to 5AA since moving over here.
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 am

The Emperor wrote:cornesy and rowey say they just talk about what the callers ring up about which is predominantly afl.

This is true. The reason? Because the only people who listen to them are Crows and Port fans. The rest of us have given up and have switched off.

They created their audience because it's all they wanted to talk about.

For instance, whenever they do have a departure to another sport, that conversation always turns to AFL at some stage. They used to interview Phil Smyth, coach of the 36ers, they'd talk basketball for 2 minutes, then the Power for the next 10.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:02 am

They do call themselves 5AAFL, that says it all.
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:20 am

i think you'll find it is a business decision & not necessarily what they want to talk about, my lad has rung up 4 or 5 times to talk about various sports & they take his number & have not once got back to him not even a call saying something like sorry mate we haven't got the time to fit you in tonight
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:42 pm

bayman wrote:i think you'll find it is a business decision & not necessarily what they want to talk about, my lad has rung up 4 or 5 times to talk about various sports & they take his number & have not once got back to him not even a call saying something like sorry mate we haven't got the time to fit you in tonight

Bayman is indeed correct, and to be fair (whilst Im not their biggest fan) GC & SR Rowe have often made mention of time shares being roughly allotted toward the market shares of sport audience in the state.

On the few occasions I have called to discuss something, I have always been asked what I wish to call about before being put through.

The station has a commercial interest/purpose, so it should come as no surprise that it will doctor the programme to serve that interest.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17 am

How biased are the TV commentators?

Describing a game from a Melbourne point of view.
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:16 am

I watched some of the West v Central game on video, with the radio commentary.

John Nankivell was excellent, Don Cooper was good, but perhaps I could be constructive about Doug Oakley(?).

Doug, you need to spend some serious time improving your player identification. Listeners get abit tired of 'a Central player' or a wrong identification.

Secondly, when you watch the video, large swathes of the game are not described, while you talk about something else. I would think listeners would be screaming at the radio wondering what the crowd noise is about and how the ball went from full back to the half forward line, without any description.

It would also be wise to do a bit of homework on some players: eg: Daniel Webb is no longer a Port rookie.

I think if you worked on those things, you'd be a good caller, because you have other attributes which just need the above to come to the fore.

As I said, John Nankivell was really good with ID and description.

I also have to say that Phil Aspinall is very good with player ID and description.

I continue to get good feedback about the ABC TV coverage and good to see Kym Morgan make a good start with the always excellent CK on the boundary.
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 am

Todays 14/4/2013 Sunday Mail had some interesting SANFL article headlines

NW 9-6
CD 7-9
* REDLEGS SURVIVE SERIOUS SCRAP.*
Yes , I was concerned that my Redlegs almost got beaten !

PA 16.10
GL 15.14
* MAGPIES FINALLY WIN IT FOR KEN.*
Yes, Port win after a frustrating start to the season , but dont say the last 2 words loudly !

NA 17.16
ST 14.8
* AT LAST, NORTH GETS AHEAD OF THE COUNT.*
This is a quote in the first paragraph
* with yesterdays 27 point win*
Yes North gets ahead of the count, they won by 26 points not 27 !

All 3 articles on these games were very good reads
The SANFL media does a good job, reporting the facts
Reece, Kym and Jai and others are good SANFL journos

I do feel sorry for the AFL journos who have to more or less invent stories on a weekly basis
They surely are under the hammer trying to find enough AFL things to write about

Scrappy

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Big Phil on Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm

waddayamean wrote:I am critical of the overall quality in the media for SANFL Footy but I thought James Gallagher was very good on the ABC yesterday. Spoke well I thought.

Gags has been very impressive the last couple of times, on ABC. Speaks very well and has very good analytical comments...
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks for the Recovery Session this week, Phil and John.

Enjoyed it here in Austria.
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod on Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 am

Big Phil wrote:
waddayamean wrote:I am critical of the overall quality in the media for SANFL Footy but I thought James Gallagher was very good on the ABC yesterday. Spoke well I thought.

Gags has been very impressive the last couple of times, on ABC. Speaks very well and has very good analytical comments...

I am probably being over sensitive but do we really need to know that Gags never liked North Adelaide.

I thought that commentators must necessarily be impartial and not air their likes and dislikes.
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

yeah imho a bit sensitive there rig, no different to a bay bloke saying he doesn't like Port etc etc, just adds a bit of rivalry to the viewers at home
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum