Worst high profile recruit to your club

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst high profile recruit to your club Empty Worst high profile recruit to your club

Post by Lee on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:35 am

Who was the least performing high profile recruit to your club?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Worst high profile recruit to your club Empty Re: Worst high profile recruit to your club

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:27 am

Wayne Johnston at the Blues. I somehow think he didn't really want to be there.

For 1991, Johnston was signed by Sturt and was regarded as a key recruit in the hope of improving the Double Blues from only two wins in 1990, but injuries meant he played just three games for the Double Blues before injury ended his playing career and he was sacked ten weeks before the SANFL minor round ended.

I have the vaguest of memories that there was some controversy about some of those injuries and possibly off-field misdemeanor that led to the sacking.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Worst high profile recruit to your club Empty Re: Worst high profile recruit to your club

Post by Lee on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:13 pm

For West, Nick Trask would have to be up there.

Delisted from the Brisbane Lions after 12 games, I think he arrived at West, shall we say, 'having been in a good paddock' pre-season. From memory, only played a couple of Reserves games at most and left after some alleged off-field issues.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm

The other contenders for West would be John Hayes and Bob Farmer.
Hayes came across from W.A. in about '75, a State player for them, and played CHF. He was a very expensive recruit at the time and really never fired a shot for us.
Bob Farmer was an ex-Collingwood forward who came across in the late 60s or early 70s and also played a year at CHF managing to have very little impact at all.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Trying to think of failed "name" recruits at Norwood. Robbie Ah Mat maybe in the dark years of the early 2000's, although his lack of input might have been due to injury, I can't quite remember. Cant really call Eagleton a failure I guess, although he certainly couldn't withstand the close-checking and opponents getting away with a bit more than they could at AFL level, and his petulance and obvious displeasure for all to see just made it worse for him. I know Andrew Lee was one we were really excited about around about 2008 - Good pedigree, but just couldn't cut it with both us and then North. Always an interesting topic, I think in the main recruiters do a really good job at getting high enough quality output from the name recruits while unearthing a few unheralded diamonds along the way. But all clubs are going to get some wrong here and there for various reasons.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Warren Ralph at Glenelg. Won lotto just before the first game and played like he didn't want to be there. Walked out on the second year of his contract.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Patrick wiggens at westies always remember his last game at prospect playing in the reserves
Got dragged so decided to walk of though the crowd never to be seen again
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:36 am

UncleHuey wrote:Warren Ralph at Glenelg. Won lotto just before the first game and played like he didn't want to be there. Walked out on the second year of his contract.

How unlucky can a club get?? Ralph anywhere near his best should have been somewhere from good to amazing at this level.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 am

An interesting one at West was Marlon Motlop. A very good player before and still, but did nothing in his short time at West.

I suspect we got him at an unsettled time of his footy career?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Lee wrote:An interesting one at West was Marlon Motlop.  A very good player before and still, but did nothing in his short time at West.

I suspect we got him at an unsettled time of his footy career?

He was a whipping boy at both NAFC and Power in his early days from memory. I believe Norwood went after him a couple of years ago, but the Bays offer was better. Good player and had an awesome finals series for the Bays.

Didn't Ronnie Andrews end up at Milner Rd? Can't remember how he went
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:30 pm

He went pretty well I think. An awesome presence up forward.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:34 am

Flag No.10 wrote: He went pretty well I think. An awesome presence up forward.

Cheers F10. Did you guys also grab one of the Collingwood variety Twomey or Weidemann back in the 80's too?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:03 pm

David Twomey played pretty well for us, late 80's, I think. Nickname 'Tickets'.

Murray Weidemann coached and played for us from 1968 to 1971. His son, Mark played several games for us also.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:04 pm

A couple more who were good players, but struggled for us with injury or other problems - Stuart Wigney and Troy Gray.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Did the Blues and Bays have Wigney for a time too?
The fact that I can't remember, probably attests to his impact if so.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:17 pm

The Blues certainly did. I understand your lack of memory of him.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm

... Where do I start..?
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:45 pm

The 2 Victorians you picked i cant think of their names instead of taking the Gowans twins who were going to go to South are probably 2 who didnt really help you.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:32 pm

How do Eagles fans reckon John Cassin and Rod Galt went for them?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:34 pm

southern bulldog wrote:The 2 Victorians you picked i cant think of their names instead of taking the Gowans twins who were going to go to South are probably 2 who didnt really help you.
Ex Collingwood / Hawks utility Jon Hassall and the former Hawthorn ruckman Simon Crawshay, if memory serves me correct?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm

david strooper and leigh tudor spring to mind for the tigers, throw in adam contessa
fatty
fatty

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:54 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:How do Eagles fans reckon John Cassin and Rod Galt went for them?

I was only a kid Cassin seemed ok Galt iirc wasn’t great
But I was a kid so can’t recall much
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:23 pm

fatty wrote:david strooper and leigh tudor spring to mind for the tigers, throw in adam contessa

Noel Avery fatty, did he go all right?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:11 am

fatty wrote:david strooper and leigh tudor spring to mind for the tigers, throw in adam contessa

Kane Tenace make this list?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Big Phil wrote:
southern bulldog wrote:The 2 Victorians you picked i cant think of their names instead of taking the Gowans twins who were going to go to South are probably 2 who didnt really help you.
Ex Collingwood / Hawks utility Jon Hassall and the former Hawthorn ruckman Simon Crawshay, if memory serves me correct?

Crawshay , was an excellent player for South.

South cleverly decided they'd prefer 2 "proven" AFL players (- Jon Hassell and Nathan "Topsy" Turvey both from Collingwood ),over a couple of rough and tumble twin brothers from the Western suburbs of Melbourne............ Rolling Eyes

Turvey had a great kick, only trouble is he couldnt get near the footy.
Hassell...well...where do you start??- allegedly.... flew in on a Saturday morning for a game at Woodville, had no money in his pocket to call someone , let alone a taxi...and walked to the ground..!!!!! ffs!
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum