Should the AFL govern footy?

Post new topic   

Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm

The premier basketball competition in the US is the NBA. However, the sport's governing body is USA Basketball, a non-profit organisation responsible for the promotion of the sport among players and spectators.

The premier baseball competition in the US is the NBL. However, the sport's governing body is USA Baseball, responsible for the development and health of the sport.

The premier football competition in the UK is the EPL. However, the sport's governing body is the Football Association, responsible for overseeing all aspects of the game at amateur and professional level.

But here, Australian Rules Football is governed by the premier competition, the AFL. And so when we see mid-season drafts, requests for AFL sides to enter State league competitions etc, we shouldn't be surprised, because they have a conflict of interest. Their aim is to make the Australian Football League as strong as possible, whatever the cost to lower leagues. Shouldn't the game (and the strength of lower, grass roots competitions) be protected, as happens everywhere else in the world, by an independent governing body responsible for the health of Australian Rules football, rather than just the Australian Football League?
avatar
Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2141
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by UncleHuey on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 pm

We need an independent body as the AFL basically makes rules that advantage Victorian teams. They don't care about the other leagues at all.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Join date : 2013-03-20
Posts : 1333
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:25 pm

The short answer to your question F10 is, yes absolutely there should be an independent body.

The AFL have proven time and again where their interest lies and it is clearly not the betterment of the sport - no matter how they say they do by disguises like Auskick, U18 comp and other things they throw a few dollars at.

All leagues below them scrap for a living whether it be players, club structures and facilities, junior programs or whatever. They are all fighting against each other in the same melting pot for survival.

If the AFL or any other independent body was doing its job right it would be promoting a proper tiered structure that provided for all levels of the game.

Not going to happen any time soon is it?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2993
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Flag No.10 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Well, yes, I'm not sure how it would come about, but it strikes me that trying to fight off the AFL's destructive influence on competitions like ours would be a lot easier if we could fight them via a body that sat above them rather than from our inferior position. It would probably require a co-ordinated, unified push from lower leagues around the country to make a case to government that our national game should not be left in the hands of the apex competition.
avatar
Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2141
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Scrunch on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Well, yes, I'm not sure how it would come about, but it strikes me that trying to fight off the AFL's destructive influence on competitions like ours would be a lot easier if we could fight them via a body that sat above them rather than from our inferior position. It would probably require a co-ordinated, unified push from lower leagues around the country to make a case to government that our national game should not be left in the hands of the apex competition.

Would only be able to govern over those that accepted and committed to the terms. Never going to happen unfortunately.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1543

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 am

Here is a slight digression of the argument.

Hypothetically, what would happen if the sanfl told the afl to stick it and its money and went its own way?

In the first instance that would mean;
- no more Crows / Power in the SANFL.
- Less money around the clubs I would expect and in turn a lower salary cap.
- Possible impact on sponsor income
- Recruiting of quality and profile players more difficult
Ok, so what?

Would the number of spectators and members reduce or by much?
Would the standard and spectacle reduce that much?

If, for example the competition standard became say a notch above SAAFL, how would the people that are involved in the SANFL at all active levels (Management, players, administrators, volunteers, members and spectators) feel about that?

The 8 remaining clubs would be still the clubs they have always been.

Many die hard supporters I have spoken to or have heard said that when the AFL teams came in said they would still follow their club anyway even though they did not support the 2 AFL clubs' entry.

I suspect they would also still follow their clubs in the above scenario.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2993
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Flag No.10 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 am

Scrunch wrote:

Would only be able to govern over those that accepted and committed to the terms. Never going to happen unfortunately.

Yes, in my imagined scenario you establish a governing body that all competitions are then required to affiliate with. Maybe it's just another version of the old National Football Council which was eventually overpowered by the VFL/AFL.
avatar
Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2141
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Scrunch on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Here is a slight digression of the argument.

Hypothetically, what would happen if the sanfl told the afl to stick it and its money and went its own way?

In the first instance that would mean;
- no more Crows / Power in the SANFL.
- Less money around the clubs I would expect and in turn a lower salary cap.
- Possible impact on sponsor income
- Recruiting of quality and profile players more difficult
Ok, so what?

Would the number of spectators and members reduce or by much?
Would the standard and spectacle reduce that much?

If, for example the competition standard became say a notch above SAAFL, how would the people that are involved in the SANFL at all active levels (Management, players, administrators, volunteers, members and spectators) feel about that?

The 8 remaining clubs would be still the clubs they have always been.

Many die hard supporters I have spoken to or have heard  said that when the AFL teams came in said they would still follow their club anyway even though they did not support the 2 AFL clubs' entry.

I suspect they would also still follow their clubs in the above scenario.

The SANFL clubs would all eventually end up either dead or in a lower league due to lack of funds.

The AFL, as all cashed up businesses do - Would establish their own presence in the territory under the guise of AFL pathway, which would be partly true, but in reality they'd be sending a big FU message as our clubs died.

Money - And a LOT of it - Is the only thing that would afford the SANFL the luxury of true independence.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1543

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by oldfella on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:02 am

Lets not forget that before the AFL that football was controlled Australia wide by the Australian National Football Council (ANFC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_National_Football_Council
oldfella
oldfella

Join date : 2011-12-13
Posts : 262

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Scrunch on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:27 pm

oldfella wrote:Lets not forget that before the AFL that football was controlled Australia wide by the Australian National Football Council (ANFC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_National_Football_Council

I don't think anyone forgets that, it's what most posters would like to see back in place (but not a "toothless tiger" version). It's all a dream though.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1543

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Bugsy+1 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm

The AFL runs an Australian wide football competition with its prime objective to keep the game alive, make $$ and keep Victorian footy fans and tv networks happy. Sadly it's a grim future for the SANFL and WAFL. The 19th AFL team has to be Tasmania and the AFL will want a 20th team very quickly. It will be a battle between the cities of Perth and Adelaide to get a 3rd team in and ensure more home games per season are played on their new modern stadiums. Perth's population in 2006 was 1.42 million and grew to 1.94 million in 2014. Adelaide in 2006 was 1.04 million and in 2014 was 1.27 million - a growth rate well and truly humbled by Perth so you can see where the AFL senses its future $$$ are coming from. Adelaide has to act fast and has already moved quickly getting a new hotel built at Adelaide Oval to cater for the travelling footy fans and it's amazing how fast the State Govt approved that process. Sturt and Norwood fans - if they want their proud clubs to continue to compete in a meaningful competition - should ponder a merger like they did 20+ years ago and become the 20th AFL team. Instant membership of 15000 as they would lure fans from the Crows (not likely to be many Sturt/Norwood fans being Port Power) as well as their current SANFL fans and can use Norwood Oval as it's home base. Plenty of rich eastern suburbs $$$ to support the club and won't even have to change the song. Just design a double blue and red guernsey and can instantly brag about the 45 premierships in their history to quieten the Port Power fans who love talking about their 36 !!
Bugsy+1
Bugsy+1

Join date : 2013-04-10
Posts : 26
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Should the AFL govern footy? Empty Re: Should the AFL govern footy?

Post by Scrappy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Bugsy ! Should the AFL govern footy? 1672671459
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3737

Back to top Go down

Back to top


Post new topic   
 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum