Finals

Go down

Finals Empty Finals

Post by Lee on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:29 am

Watched both finals yesterday and saw two totally contrasting games. Right from the start, Adelaide looked to be on a training run aggainst Norwood and that's more about the professional skill level than a very disappointing Norwood. It was a high scoring (for Adelaide) game, seemingly bruise-free at times and Adelaide's top-up players benefited from the talent around them. Norwood obviously had problems and a couple of their prime movers looked to be struggling, apart from individual flashes of brilliance, including one great goal.

The second game was the opposite. Tough, hard, committed footy from both sides. I admired Glenelg's game. They're a good side and took it up to an AFL side right to the end and weren't found wanting. It was great footy and the big question for next week is this: Will Glenelg suffer from the tough game against a fresh Adelaide, or will Adel;aide struggle against a hard-bodied team after a cakewalk? The answer to that will decide whether 2 AFL sides play off in a SANFL Grand Final.

It was interesting to watch as a neutral after my team narrowly missed the finals by 20 points and a swag of percentage. Watching the AFL finals and seeing Will Snelling and John Noble playing AFL finals for Essendon and Collingwood might have explained a little bit of that. I was surrounded by Legs' fans for the first game. They spent most of the game complaining about the umpiring, which was understandable, not from the umpiring standard, but that there was nothing else to keep them interested. Apart from that, they were fine. Not so much for the second game, where I was unfortunate enough to sit in front of a group of Port supporters, who I suspect hadn't been to many SANFL games. This was an early observation when a 'last possession' free kick was long and loudly condemned as 'no way was that f.....g deliberate'. Things didn't improve from there, obscenities in every sentence, fights with Glenelg supporters who dared to say a word and a mouthful of abuse when I turned around once after a particularly vile mouthful. 'We're allowed to barrack, it's not as if we're swearing'!!!!!

A final observation. I well recall being in the tiny changerooms in the Western Stand when we won in 2015. Why is that the fate of all the other SANFL teams if they were playing Glenelg yesterday, but Port (the 'Magpies') run out from the luxury of their own rooms? Probably only a small difference, but in a 4 point game, pethaps a significant difference. Just another instance of SANFL weakness, or is there a good reason?

Good luck to the Bays, but it looks like an AFL premier, as our competition tries to stave off an uneven playing field and irrelevance.

Let's hope not.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Finals Empty Re: Finals

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

The longer this imbalance in the competition continues, the more fans will switch off.

And so the irrelevance will come from both sides of the spectrum - the fan base and the competition hierachy.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Good summary of the games Lee. I didn't have the Crows as a legitimate contender, but even allowing for the witches hats they defeated yesterday, the performance was THAT impressive that I now believe they're a genuine threat.

All that said, if I had to tip the Flag winner from here I'm still comfortably selecting Glenelg. I thought on the balance of play yesterday Port were probably 2-3 goals better even though the scoreboard didn't reflect that, but I think Glenelg will be better for the performance and have greater scope for improvement. They are a fairly complete side.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks Scrunch.  Who kicked that great goal for Norwood (No 3?)_.

What are your thoughts on the 'Legs ATM.  Really reliant on Baulderstone, but not sure there's a lot left there, even though he battled hard yesterday. Mitch Grigg doesn't look in a good space physically & mentally to me.  I'm could understand that and I may be very wrong, just an observation.

Luke Surman looked good as a back up ruckman in the 2's against us, surprised he wasn't used, although I gather he's had some quiet games.

Finally, well done to Brady Dawe after such a good career.  he always seemed to pop up for a couple of goalsquare marks against us over the years and was always effective, in an unassuming, but creditable, way.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm

I missed that goal mate, was probably watching MASH re-runs by then Very Happy

I don't think there's a single glaring issue at Norwood moreso various aspects that all combined meant we were always a few steps behind Glenelg and the AFL clubs. Baulderstone has had a fantastic year, but unfortunately yesterday wasn't one of his better days. It happens, I certainly wouldn't be pointing the finger in his direction. Surman's best is VERY good, but he's had a year interrupted by injury and I think has needed some time to help with headspace. Hopefully he's ft and raring to go for 2020.

Mitch I'm not sure, but you'd think his father's health situation couldn't be helping his own headspace? The cold hard reality is that no club can afford to carry a marquee player but Norwood has pretty much had to do that this year. As you've said completely understandable though.

Brady for most of the year looked like he'd gone on one too many, but his 3 best games of the season were his last 3.

Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Missed the first half of the early game but the second half was ordinary footy to watch. Even though I found myself in the unusual position of cheering for Norwood there wasn't much to cheer about. Apart from a few exceptions like Panos, a lot of the Redlegs had given up. When Talia was beaten in a contest and walked after his opponent I realised that they were just going through the motions.

Thought the Bays did really well and concentrated on the footy despite some questionable tactics by Port. A lack of height in defence hurt, Proud and Curran have been fantastic but neither is particularly tall. I think we can beat Adelaide and get another crack at Port. Just hope McBean's hammy isn't too bad.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:32 pm

It does feel like the comp is getting close to a tipping point, because of the AFL. The bastardisation of the comp with their entry has, as many of us predicted, hurt it immeasurably despite the money. I think genuine SANFL fans would all be happier if it was just the SANFL clubs and the AFL teams went off into their own Reserves comp. The lopsidedness in the comp is frustrating people to the point of turning away from it.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 pm

In future, we'll have two sets of predictions.  One if the AFL clubs have few injuries and one if they have many.

Not an ideal situation.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Lee wrote:Watched both finals yesterday and saw two totally contrasting games.  Right from the start, Adelaide looked to be on a training run aggainst Norwood and that's more about the professional skill level than a very disappointing Norwood.  It was a high scoring (for Adelaide) game, seemingly bruise-free at times and Adelaide's top-up players benefited from the talent around them.  Norwood obviously had problems and a couple of their prime movers looked to be struggling, apart from individual flashes of brilliance, including one great goal.

The second game was the opposite.  Tough, hard, committed footy from both sides.  I admired Glenelg's game.  They're a good side and took it up to an AFL side right to the end and weren't found wanting.  It was great footy and the big question for next week is this:  Will Glenelg suffer from the tough game against a fresh Adelaide, or will Adel;aide struggle against a hard-bodied team after a cakewalk?  The answer to that will decide whether 2 AFL sides play off in a SANFL Grand Final.

It was interesting to watch as a neutral after my team narrowly missed the finals by 20 points and a swag of percentage.  Watching the AFL finals and seeing Will Snelling and John Noble playing AFL finals for Essendon and Collingwood might have explained a little bit of that.  I was surrounded by Legs' fans for the first game.  They spent most of the game complaining about the umpiring, which was understandable, not from the umpiring standard, but that there was nothing else to keep them interested.  Apart from that, they were fine.  Not so much for the second game, where I was unfortunate enough to sit in front of a group of Port supporters, who I suspect hadn't been to many SANFL games.  This was an early observation when a 'last possession' free kick was long and loudly condemned as 'no way was that f.....g deliberate'.  Things didn't improve from there, obscenities in every sentence, fights with Glenelg supporters who dared to say a word and a mouthful of abuse when I turned around once after a particularly vile mouthful. 'We're allowed to barrack, it's not as if we're swearing'!!!!!

A final observation.  I well recall being in the tiny changerooms in the Western Stand when we won in 2015.  Why is that the fate of all the other SANFL teams if they were playing Glenelg yesterday, but Port (the 'Magpies') run out from the luxury of their own rooms?  Probably only a small difference, but in a 4 point game, pethaps a significant difference.  Just another instance of SANFL weakness, or is there a good reason?

Good luck to the Bays, but it looks like an AFL premier, as our competition tries to stave off an uneven playing field and irrelevance.

Let's hope not.

There was another game yesterday too wasnt there....?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm

I don't think so, B & W. Not that I can recall.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am

Any chance of a breakaway Kerry Packer type of competition. It worked well for cricket. Surely it is the clubs and not the commission that are the League?
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am

No one would breakaway whilst there are AAMI Stadium sale dividends to collect over the next 5-6 years.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by whybother on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:41 am

Don't the clubs "own" the League? Seems like the tail wagging the dog. And anyway, when there's money, there's always a good lawyer.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum