Eagles hopes for 2020

Go down

Eagles hopes for 2020 Empty Eagles hopes for 2020

Post by Premiers on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Disappointing 2019 but predictable pre-season when we weren't able to sign any key forward; at that stage, we thought that we may have a dominant midfield with the addition of Jordan Foote, Toumpas and Lonergan. Well, Jordan Foote was very good, Toumpas played only 3-4 games due to injury and Lonergan was only mediocre. Won't write Lonergan off yet because he came into the season with little pre-season (groin problems)and looking unfit.

In recent times, teams have turned things around (bottom - to-top stuff) Westies, North and now Glenelg but can't see the Eagles doing much in 2020 as they rebuild after retirements and hopefully a clean -out. in general terms, we need an injection of pace, especially the midfield, and height all over the ground but especially key positions. And players who can kick the ball, both in field kicking and goal kicking (Jack Hayes dismal goal kicking rips the heart out of the team's efforts and yet, a dilemma where else can you use his talents, Goldsworthy is one of the few players who finds a target from our backline - Allmond hurts us every time).

The best of our successful U18s will be taken by the AFL of course but there may be a few left over - Jamie Coff (195cm CHF), for example, might not be taken by AFL but could be a useful SANFL player. Like the promise of young Seconds player Cooper Gaffney (has some pace too). ? whether Jai Pudney and Friedrichs has done enough to stay on Port's rookie list - they would be handy for us especially with pace. There were hopes for 18 year old Tasmanian Jackson House - was injured for most of the year ? next year. Can't see any other 194cm mobile players coming through from U18s or Seconds next year so we'll need to recruit them.

It will be an interesting time now till Christmas to see if we can set up our season for next year.
Premiers
Premiers

Back to top Go down

Eagles hopes for 2020 Empty Re: Eagles hopes for 2020

Post by mickyj on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 am

Now I know by responding to this post I may get howled down .
As a loyal eagles fan I could see this coming from round 2. 2019 the Eagles were left in the lurch by Godden leaving late . Recruiting was over by the time Sam took over .
Hopefully in 2020 the eagles will have recruited better and moved on from the debacle of 2018 finals .
Imho Eagles need pace and height.
Do the Eagles get the cheque books out when AFL players are delisted maybe .
But I think 2020 might be another year like 2019
However players retiring and leaving Sams game plan will be used and taught from the start of the year .
If we use Glenelg as an example year 1 under their coach wasn’t great iirc.
Eagles fans we need to live in hope
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Eagles hopes for 2020 Empty Re: Eagles hopes for 2020

Post by whybother on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:35 pm

I have....since 1962. Oh those dreadful years until the New Eagles.
whybother
whybother

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum