Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post new topic   

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by Scrappy on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:50 pm

mickyj wrote:I'm home now .
I had a feeling it would be a close game .
Eagles did in the fourth what they'd done against South earlier in the year went Ultra defensive . Which mostly stopped Sturts run .
If Sturt couldn't run over the Eagles they may not beat North .
I want the Eagles to beat Norwood and as a great Norwood fan told me they may struggle on a large oval .

The 2 longest SANFL football grounds I reckon are Woodville Oval and Elizabeth Oval
Norwood in the last 2 seasons , in 4 games,  are undefeated on those BIG Ovals
In the 4 wins, they have won easily on the BIG grounds
The opinion on that NW may struggle on a large oval  is a flawed argument on whats happened the last 2 seasons
Norwood struggled on small grounds last season at home, and did better on the BIGger away oval games

Adelaide Oval is a reasonable length , but not wide
Its not wide as they have short square boundaries when they play cricket there

If Norwood are beaten at Adelaide Oval, it is not because Adelaide Oval is a BIG ground
If they get beaten , it will most prob be by a better team on the day
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3572

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by rocket_rooster on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:04 am

Norwood did really struggle on Prospect Oval which is a long but skinny oval and at Noarlunga which is a big ground.. Norwood supporters I know think that the only way Norwood can be beaten is by pace and quick ball movement.


Last edited by rocket_rooster on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
rocket_rooster

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by bayman on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:25 am

I think one of the reasons Norwood lost at Noarlunga last week was because of the very hard, tough physical match they had the week before against North, North also seemed to struggle to shake off the Power reserves last week, so much that they had a shot after the siren to steal that match, obviously Norwood had a few out that day & South are a decent team that it wasn’t a certain victory to start with, I think rr is on the money pace could be their Achilles heel & I’ll add maybe a lack of a spearhead although I’ll concede Surman does a very good job at it
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7217
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by mickyj on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:15 am

Scrappy wrote:
mickyj wrote:I'm home now .
I had a feeling it would be a close game .
Eagles did in the fourth what they'd done against South earlier in the year went Ultra defensive . Which mostly stopped Sturts run .
If Sturt couldn't run over the Eagles they may not beat North .
I want the Eagles to beat Norwood and as a great Norwood fan told me they may struggle on a large oval .

The 2 longest SANFL football grounds I reckon are Woodville Oval and Elizabeth Oval
Norwood in the last 2 seasons , in 4 games,  are undefeated on those BIG Ovals
In the 4 wins, they have won easily on the BIG grounds
The opinion on that NW may struggle on a large oval  is a flawed argument on whats happened the last 2 seasons
Norwood struggled on small grounds last season at home, and did better on the BIGger away oval g

Adelaide Oval is a reasonable length , but not wide
Its not wide as they have short square boundaries when they play cricket there

If Norwood are beaten at Adelaide Oval, it is not because Adelaide Oval is a BIG ground
If they get beaten , it will most prob be by a better team on the day

I only mentioned what a Norwood fan who writes a lot for Norwood told me .
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 2013
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by Scrappy on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Ooops !
I mentioned AO as a thinish oval, but I reckon the oval is wider now after the redevelopment 
So its wider than before
It still aint what I would consider as a BIG oval though
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3572

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Norwood have lost their last 2 (at least) on Adelaide Oval, both in finals against Central. Both those sides were inferior to the current one, and I’m not sure it was the ground that did them in, moreso the physical nature of the opponent I think. That’s the area with the biggest question mark for mine.
avatar
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1473

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by mickyj on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Scrappy wrote:Ooops !
I mentioned AO as a thinish oval, but I reckon the oval is wider now after the redevelopment 
So its wider than before
It still aint what I would consider as a BIG oval though

Scrappy I had no intentions of upsetting Norwood fans .
We all know Norwood are the best team in the league this year so far.
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 2013
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by mickyj on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Scrunch wrote:Norwood have lost their last 2 (at least) on Adelaide Oval, both in finals against Central. Both those sides were inferior to the current one, and I’m not sure it was the ground that did them in, moreso the physical nature of the opponent I think. That’s the area with the biggest question mark for mine.

Slightly different response
I watched the South v North game after the 6 goals straight were kicked . Or if it's easier from part way through the second term . That game was both teams were attack attack by both teams .
Sturt and Eagles game was totally different a game of defence defence defence .

What this means will Sturt next week be able to combat non stop attack.
And will the Eagles be able to shut down Norwood and go all out defensive as they did against Sturt.

I hope that makes sense .
Two totally different ways to win yesterday.
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 2013
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Qualifying Final: Eagles v Sturt - Sunday 2 September @ Adelaide Oval

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Scrappy wrote:Ooops !
I mentioned AO as a thinish oval, but I reckon the oval is wider now after the redevelopment 
So its wider than before
It still aint what I would consider as a BIG oval though

Yes the ground is now an oval shape and not a rectangle with rounded corners.
It is 125m wide x 167m long.

So I think that is mid-sized by other grounds comparisons.

It was pushed out about 15m on each wing from the original shape.
From memory I think the length shortened slightly from the original but only about 10m.
avatar
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2911
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


Post new topic   
 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum