Vale Fred Bills

Post new topic   

Go down

Vale Fred Bills

Post by mickyj on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

I have only just seen this online I don't have any information .
Vale Freddie Bills
A great West Torrens footballer
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1809
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by bayman on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 am

My main memory is the famous “count” & Fred jumping over the fence & putting a coat on to cover up his jumper, I think a few players did something similar...this from a distant memory

RIP Fred Bills
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7014
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by mickyj on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 am

bayman wrote:My main memory is the famous  “count” & Fred jumping over the fence & putting a coat on to cover up his jumper, I think a few players did something similar...this from a distant memory

RIP Fred Bills

I was watching the game
And I got that totally wrong


RIP Fred


Last edited by mickyj on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1809
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by Flag No.10 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:31 pm

I was there too and Fred wasn't on the stretcher, John Cassin was the injured player and Fred came on to the field as his replacement while Cassin was still on the ground. Norm Dare did jump the fence and hide in the crowd.
But Fred Bills was a great servant of West Torrens and a big character in footy in those days.


Last edited by Flag No.10 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2058
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by mickyj on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:I was there too and Fred wasn't on the stretcher, John Cassin was the injured player and Fred came on to the field as his replacement while Cassin was still on the ground. Norm Dare did jump the fence and hide in the crowd.
But Fred Bills was a great servant of West Torrens and a big character in footy in those days.

Oops **** I got that wrong
Your right Flag 10
I was there to a younger version of me
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1809
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by Scrunch on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Wonderful man was Fred, one of those people that would light up a room. May he rest peacefully.
avatar
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1421

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I remember meeting Freddy when I was a little tacker playing school footy. We were entertained for dinner after at a West Torrens training session at Thebby one evening. I think Freddy helped me out with my pea and ham soup.

Great clubman
avatar
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2851
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by Scrappy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:40 pm

R.I.P Freddie Bills

That game involving the count

It was in the last quarter, with the scores
12-10 West Torrens
10-7 West Adelaide

Johnny Cassin was STRETCHered off the field
Freddie Bills did come off the interchange
Therefore a count would have had 1 extra West Torrens player on the ground

Had the count been administered the West Torrens score would have been back to 0-0
The final score ended up
15-10 West Torrens
12-10 West Adelaide

Before the match
West Torrens were bottom of the ladder
West Adelaide were 7th and were still a rough hope to catch North Adelaide or Centrals for the 5th spot

At seasons end
8-10 North Adelaide 44.78%
7-11 West Adelaide 48.37%

On face value it cost West a finals spot by not having the count
But who knows how the last 3 rounds would have panned out if West Adelaide did win this match
West Adelaide did win 2 of the last 3 matches in 1975 , only losing to Norwood, the 1975 Premiers
West Torrens lost their last 3 games, and conceded a total of 86 goals in those matches


As for Freddie Bills
A few of my mates back then were West Torrens supporters , they idolised Freddy
He played over 300 games, captained West Torrens and played state football
My memories of Freddie, were that he was a ruck rover, who played a kick behind the play, and took a lot of marks
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3460

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by Flag No.10 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Scrappy wrote:

Johnny Cassin was STRETCHered off the field
Freddie Bills did come off the interchange
Therefore a count would have had 1 extra West Torrens player on the ground


Not quite Scrappy. Cassin was still on the ground and there was no interchange, Bills just came on as one of the reserves. The issue was that Torrens hadn't sought permission from West's captain, Bob Loveday for Bills to come on before Cassin was removed. If they had there wouldn't have been a problem.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2058
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by rocket_rooster on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

Johnny Cassin was STRETCHered off the field
Freddie Bills did come off the interchange
Therefore a count would have had 1 extra West Torrens player on the ground


Not quite Scrappy. Cassin was still on the ground and there was no interchange, Bills just came on as one of the reserves. The issue was that Torrens hadn't sought permission from West's captain, Bob Loveday for Bills to come on before Cassin was removed. If they had there wouldn't have been a problem.

The problem as I saw it was that if a count had been undertaken Torrens would have only had 18 players. Norm Dare had also left the field on the outer side of the ground and no one would have been able to prove whether he had left the ground before the incident or not. What I don't know is whether Torrens had used both of their reserves or not. If they had, Torrens would have had to finish the game with 17 men on the field otherwise Cassin and Dare would have been replaced by Fred Bills and the 20th man.
It is important to remember that there was no interchange or gate in those days and players could leave the ground anywhere on the oval.
avatar
rocket_rooster

Join date : 2016-04-03
Posts : 241

Back to top Go down

Re: Vale Fred Bills

Post by mickyj on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 am

rocket_rooster wrote:
Flag No.10 wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

Johnny Cassin was STRETCHered off the field
Freddie Bills did come off the interchange
Therefore a count would have had 1 extra West Torrens player on the ground


Not quite Scrappy. Cassin was still on the ground and there was no interchange, Bills just came on as one of the reserves. The issue was that Torrens hadn't sought permission from West's captain, Bob Loveday for Bills to come on before Cassin was removed. If they had there wouldn't have been a problem.

The problem as I saw it was that if a count had been undertaken Torrens would have only had 18 players. Norm Dare had also left the field on the outer side of the ground and no one would have been able to prove whether he had left the ground before the incident or not. What I don't know is whether Torrens had used both of their reserves or not. If they had, Torrens would have had to finish the game with 17 men on the field otherwise Cassin and Dare would have been replaced by Fred Bills and the 20th man.
It is important to remember that there was no interchange or gate in those days and players could leave the ground anywhere on the oval.

As I found out decades later I met a lady one of who helped Hide Norm Dare.
I for one am glad the rules have changed
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1809
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Back to top


Post new topic   
 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum