Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

State of the SANFL

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 pm

The sanfl is rooted.
last one out turn off the lights.
dark days ahead people, dark days.
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Re: State of the SANFL

Post by saintal on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Seems more and more players are 'retiring' each year who still have some league level footy left in them, opting to chase the $. Really hurting the depth of clubs/the league.
saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 pm

We have the ludicrous situation now where the SANFL Premiership has now become a Handicap race.
For whatever reason we have the 10 teams operating on about 5-6 different salary caps... its an absolute bloody joke.
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am

The decision to impose salary cap restrictions on West (and I believe South) is, assuming it's well intentioned, idiotic. West have won 7 games in our last 36 so the most important thing for our club's survival is to win more games and to do that we need to improve our playing list, which the SANFL is essentially preventing us from doing.

We can't compete with other clubs for recruits and we are left vulnerable to opposition clubs preying on our players by offering them more than we can pay. Combine this with the allocation to West over many years of zones with some of the poorest participation rates, and it's hard to see how the SANFL expects us to be competitive.

The popular retort to this is "Well Sturt did it on a reduced salary cap." And maybe we could too if we were given zones of the quality of Sturt's for a few years. But what sort of competition is it when you introduce two teams with multi-million dollar salary caps and reduce the already dwarfed salary cap of others?

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 am

Shouldn’t the title of this thread be renamed

“State of AFLSA”
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Pretty much writing on the wall of a merger (yes, that dirty word!) SANFL seem hell bent on cutting down clubs slowly to justify it !

I’m just about done with it all. Absolute balls up !
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:The decision to impose salary cap restrictions on West (and I believe South) is, assuming it's well intentioned, idiotic. West have won 7 games in our last 36 so the most important thing for our club's survival is to win more games and to do that we need to improve our playing list, which the SANFL is essentially preventing us from doing.

We can't compete with other clubs for recruits and we are left vulnerable to opposition clubs preying on our players by offering them more than we can pay. Combine this with the allocation to West over many years of zones with some of the poorest participation rates, and it's hard to see how the SANFL expects us to be competitive.

The popular retort to this is "Well Sturt did it on a reduced salary cap." And maybe we could too if we were given zones of the quality of Sturt's for a few years. But what sort of competition is it when you introduce two teams with multi-million dollar salary caps and reduce the already dwarfed salary cap of others?

Hey Flag
You may see posted elsewhere it’s West south and Glenelg having the cap cut
West and Glenelg were GIVEN the entire West Torrens city zone
Now Eagles were given the port city zone after losing their heart land
Saying that part of that new eagles zone was or is given to centrals closer to them .
And Glenelg had issues keeping part of their new zone and it’s goibg or has been made an Eagle area .
My understanding West has an area that has given the Eagles players instead of moaning be a positive club go out and bring them in make them welcome surely that helps west better .
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Southee wrote:Pretty much writing on the wall of a merger (yes, that dirty word!) SANFL seem hell bent on cutting down clubs slowly to justify it !

I’m just about done with it all.  Absolute balls up !
I know I forget stuff these days
Wasn’t the merger done to death like Glenelg joining South it was mentioned on sports radio no factual evidence and both teams denied it .

Let’s face it with South gifted that oval
They should be a top team
But fail

The eagles yeah can make finals can’t win a Flag even with me almost dying they couldn’t win one so it’s not plain sailing at oval ave .
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 pm

mickyj wrote:
Southee wrote:Pretty much writing on the wall of a merger (yes, that dirty word!) SANFL seem hell bent on cutting down clubs slowly to justify it !

Wasn’t the merger done to death like Glenelg joining South it was mentioned on sports radio no factual evidence and both teams denied it .

But fail

The eagles yeah can make finals can’t win a Flag even with me almost dying they couldn’t win one so it’s not plain sailing at oval ave .

Sorry i was unaware that the WWT FC owned and paid for Woodville Oval....are we are the only club that has negotiated a generous lease for our Oval from a Council or government..?......
..So how much did you pay the council for Woodville Oval..and how much does it cost your club to maintain it? ' or does the council maintain the Woodville Oval for you at their cost..?
I can honestly say that the Onkaparinga council has done absolutely zero for the SAFC since we moved to Noarlunga. That is zero, nothing ,diddly squat with regard to finance, sponsorship, or anything else.They have far more important priorities...like paying their CEO's golf fees at Kooyonga.
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

But fail

Sorry i was unaware that the WWT FC owned and paid for Woodville Oval....are we are the only club that has negotiated a generous lease for our Oval from a Council or government..?......
..So how much did you pay the council for Woodville Oval..and how much does it cost your club to maintain it? ' or does the council maintain the Woodville Oval for you at their cost..?
I can honestly say that the Onkaparinga council has done absolutely zero for the SAFC since we moved to Noarlunga. That is zero, nothing ,diddly squat with regard to finance, sponsorship, or anything else.They have far more important priorities...like paying their CEO's golf fees at Kooyonga.

No idea
South allegedly gifted the oval by ex premier for an acorn rent
Is cricket played on that oval like it is at Woodville oval
I live a kick away from city Mazda oval two coaches ago I could tell you exactly when pre season training began under Collins
You can’t moan about price
I was told years ago by a south seconds player the sign on fee paid to those Victorians that south used to recruit and the free cars they were given
You can’t blame other clubs
You got to learn to manage the club better
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

But fail

I feel for your club. Love the ground. Every time I go there improvements have been made.
Isn't that the council who's mayor took the rate payer funded trip to china to watch port power. Council business or such.????
I watch a little GSFL games. Not to many improvements being done at those grounds .
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 pm

mickyj wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

But fail

No idea
I live a kick away from city Mazda oval two coaches ago I could tell you exactly when pre season training began under Collins
I was told years ago by a south seconds player the sign on fee paid to those Victorians that south used to recruit and the free cars they were given

I think you will find I was being a tad cynical. Woodville, like Richmond, Glenelg and Prospect are grounds owned by their respective local councils that are leased to the respective clubs for a minimal fee. Often the agreement will include maintenance ie mowing watering etc.The councils in most if not all cases also own the improvements ie Grandstand changerooms etc. as well.
In South Adelaides case...yes we were able to negotiate a favorable lease agreement with the state government. However we had to build and pay for all the infrastructure out of our own coffers.
As for your comment re free cars etc.....lesson 1a in obtaining sponsors for any football club, is to obtain a car dealer as a sponsor.. and a WWT supporter complaining about another club paying too much for players............please!!!!!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:48 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:
mickyj wrote:

But fail

No idea

I think you will find  I was being a tad cynical. Woodville, like Richmond, Glenelg and Prospect are grounds owned by their respective local councils that are leased to the respective clubs for a minimal fee. Often the agreement will include maintenance ie mowing watering etc.The councils in most if not all cases also own the improvements ie Grandstand changerooms etc. as well.
In South Adelaides case...yes we were able to negotiate a favorable lease agreement with the state government. However we had to build and pay for all the infrastructure out of our own coffers.
As for your comment re free cars etc.....lesson 1a in obtaining sponsors for any football club, is to obtain a car dealer as a sponsor..   and a WWT supporter complaining about another club paying too much for players............please!!!!!

Wasn’t actually complaining just sayING what a south player told me years ago
You know it doesn’t matter what happens happens
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Who cares who pays what for ovals ? I know for a fact that the eagles are or are going to train on Wingfield oval over the summer & the fee is $1.00 (can’t recall if weekly or monthly) so their relationship with the council is great, other clubs do not get the same generosity from their respective councils
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:17 pm

bayman wrote:Who cares who pays what for ovals ? I know for a fact that the eagles are or are going to train on Wingfield oval over the summer & the fee is $1.00 (can’t recall if weekly or monthly) so their relationship with the council is great, other clubs do not get the same generosity from their respective councils

Which council Bayman ?
I was telling a friend they were moving summer training Thebarton oval went up in price I understand .
And Wingfield would be Port Adelaide Enfield council not Charles Sturt council that Woodville oval is in .
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Whoever is the council that has Wingfield oval in its domain, the deal was done months ago, I didn’t think it was that interesting so I never posted it, still don’t think it’s that interesting as each council is different with different philosophies
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 pm

bayman wrote:Whoever is the council that has Wingfield oval in its domain, the deal was done months ago, I didn’t think it was that interesting so I never posted it, still don’t think it’s that interesting as each council is different with different philosophies

That’s true
Thought I knew about it last year
Port Adelaide is the Eagles city zone can’t hurt doing preseason there

And I do recall seeing Glenelg had issues with their council last year
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Our council has 3 “I don’t like or want sports around” members that have made things very difficult & expensive, these bozos will turn up for a free feed though
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:42 pm

bayman wrote:Our council has 3 “I don’t like or want sports around” members that have made things very difficult & expensive, these bozos will turn up for a free feed though

Believe me I get it .
When I fish the pat and locals talk to me and they do .
Before last winter started there was a leak in the watering system not for a day or a week or two months . Then it would get better then pipes break again .
Seen that council in action .
And whoever cleans the rubbish in the water they don’t lol . I took a picture after a big storm the moorings in the marina section you could have done a JC and walk across the water it was just seaweed
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 am

shows the state of things with such little interest about the draw here

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sanfl-to-play-more-sunday-games-in-season-2018/news-story/fd3c917f58daebeaedff0b9dff1776b7
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am

Now that each team just plays each other twice, the draw is less 'interesting' than it used to be?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 pm

Lee wrote:Now that each team just plays each other twice, the draw is less 'interesting' than it used to be?

Or because there are two professional franchised organisations playing the competition is less interesting or as important as it used to be
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Lee wrote:Now that each team just plays each other twice, the draw is less 'interesting' than it used to be?

Or some people need to just accept what SANFL footy is now .
That’s life
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm

That theres been 4 days without a SANFL post here and not much better elsewhere should say a bit about the state of the league and how much interest is lost by many fans.
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Ok, just for you, the bays chatting to a player originally from Port Lincoln.....I’m not sure if I’m allowed to name him so I better not
bayman

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum