Sturt 2018 Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sturt 2018 Season

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:19 pm

The outs so far are Kory Beard (back to the Eyre Peninsula) and Scott McMahon (coaching in the River Murray league).
Marty Mattner has signed on for a third tilt at a flag, trying for 3 from 3.

No signings as yet.

Probably some hope that a few double blue ex-pats might return. Monfries, Gore, Trengove. But they may prove hard to entice.

What do the Blues need?
Well the midfield is pretty solid if injuries are kind. That took a long time to smile upon the side in 2017 with early injuries to Battersby, then Riley the prime inside mids.

I reckon a key forward to cover Beard is essential.
Sutcliffe is gathering momentum but may still take another year to fully find his feet up forward as a prime mover.
If Eddy doesn't like heading further down South next year, maybe a stop half way would fit!

Gilfoy is developing as a key defensive stopper, but could develop a rebound game a bit more.
Evans and Stephens are the rock solid defensive generals.

And if Read can get a wriggle on in his development that would help out Ozzie Osborne a fair bit.
Osborne going forward at times this season presented major match-up problems for opposition sides, so if that can continue with Read's influence increasing, that is a win.

You could say if it ain't broke it don't need fixing, but a couple of tweaks here and there will be necessary.

Of those that were on the fringe in 2017;
Crowden - I would say he is gone to the AFL draft. 2 premierships under his belt (U18 and Reserves).
D Wilson - Needs to take the next step to being a regular contributor. Showed some spark early in the season.
Veale - Played a few but also needs to cement his spot.
Voight - Will he or won't he. 2018 will tell.

Player Prediction;
Paddy Wilson to become the next big thing. Has a thumping kick, has a good pair of hands and is pretty versatile in where he can play.

Team Prediction:
Sturt finished the home and away season in third in 2016 and 2017. No reason a regular season top 3 finish can't happen again. It gets ever harder to maintain that standard, but once the expectation gets ingrained it is infectious. As long as the 2 or 3 key players can be recruited to cover the losses, or a few of the 2s emerge as league players, I reckon the Blues will still be right up there.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Re: Sturt 2018 Season

Post by Scrappy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Kory Beard will be a BIG loss

But so will the general of the Sturt defence of the last 2 seasons, Scott McMahon
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Beard maybe in fact is a big loss, that’s the reason he was offered a farm to play on the West Coast
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:37 am

Chambo, would you expect one or two Port Magpies players to join the Double Blues.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm

I've heard some rumours, but not very reliable, just hearsay really.
I'd think a number of clubs could potentially pick up some Port Magpie players.
I have heard more reliably that several of them are not happy with getting demoted quite regularly.

I think it is dawning on those players and those in the Magpies academy side that their opportunities are slim, tenuous and probably not long term prospects.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Lee wrote:Chambo, would you expect one or two Port Magpies players to join the Double Blues.

It seems to be a favourite destination for ex-Magpies at the moment.
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 pm

And rightly so! Very Happy
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Summerton is more than welcome to join us.
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

SANFL EXACTAS
Winning Premierships or being runner up

Sturt
15 flags
11 runner up

Norwood
30 flags
22 runner up

Sturt winning the last 2 Premierships means they have the same strike rate of 73.33% as Norwood in Exactas

The only other 'existing' SANFL club that has more flags than runner up is Central Districts

Centrals
9 flags
5 runner up
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:18 pm

It is going to break my heart seeing Jack in prison bars next year.
Oh well like Eddy, maybe he will just be fodder to the machine and hopefully we will have him in 2019.

However, for Jack's sake I hop he makes the afl side and does well.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum