Glenelg Coach

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by bayman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Chambo, my reasoning is the others would have higher ambitions, not sure Backwell would, Glenelg need stability which is the main reason Lokan had a contract extension during his tenure in the first place, if Glenelg signed a “big name for 2018-19 & he left (like Hocking at South) what’s the point? Backwell spent time under Brad Gotch who I rate highly
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 6742
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by mickyj on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:42 pm

bayman wrote:Chambo, my reasoning is the others would have higher ambitions, not sure Backwell would, Glenelg need stability which is the main reason Lokan had a contract extension during his tenure in the first place, if Glenelg signed a “big name for 2018-19 & he left (like Hocking at  South) what’s the point? Backwell spent time under Brad Gotch who I rate highly

Good points I think your correct Bayman .
Big names don’t always stay around if the afl calls out .
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1544
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by bayman on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:31 pm

By the way I doubt Backwell would be considered highly enough, but a football person without any real afl ambition is the way to go imho, make no mistake Lokan has that ambition & believes he is better than he actually is, I’ll admit he took over Glenelg in unusual circumstances & has done a reasonable job but not an outstanding one
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 6742
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 pm

I see your point, however, if Sturt adopted that, we wouldn't have 2 flags.
I think everyone knows Marty is bound for bigger things.

However, what he has done to date has been nothing short of amazing. 3 years out of him and I think the club would consider it a winner.

I think I can see both arguments.

I think Edwards and Thompson are as yet unproven so they would realistically need at least 2 years with a sanfl club before they're likely to have decent cred in the afl system. If you look at it another way, Mattner is a good 2 years ahead of them both.

They are also going to need 2 years of good results to push that cred in front of afl clubs' noses.

I reckon that coaching the Port and Crows sanfl sides is almost a dead end job if coaching an afl side is your goal.

It will be interesting to see which way the Bays go.
Both West and South have gone the "Backwell" type route.

Perhaps the ex-afl career coach is a bit on the nose to the sanfl clubs?
avatar
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2788
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by bayman on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:31 am

There is a difference when comparing Mattner to some others, Mattner spent time in Sydney already as an assistant, he then came home to Sturt to start a coaching career in his own right & that was a great decision by him & Sturt.....personally given the reports from people I know at both Norwood & Sturt i’d earmark David Oatey to start with & I doubt the Glenelg board would even know of David Oateys’ reputation
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 6742
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by mickyj on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm

bayman wrote:There is a difference when comparing Mattner to some others, Mattner spent time in Sydney already as an assistant, he then came home to Sturt to start a coaching career in his own right & that was a great decision by him & Sturt.....personally given the reports from people I know at both Norwood & Sturt i’d earmark David Oatey to start with & I doubt the Glenelg board would even know of David Oateys’ reputation

I’ve seen online a south fan saying Glenelg are talking to Blackwell . Either that or they are reading your online posts Bayman
avatar
mickyj

Join date : 2012-02-21
Posts : 1544
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by bayman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Apparently Mark Clayton having an interview this afternoon, also apparently Jade Sheedy & Sam Lonergan are in the mix....presumably others are too

Personally I think we need a respected & experienced coach
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 6742
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm

I really think a coach needs an assistant gig in either sanfl or afl as the main apprenticeship to be a coach at senior level.

Sheeds has been coaching bush and ammos but needs to get up to speed in the sanfl system before I think he would be a serious contender.

Similarly for other candidates.

I would have thought someone like Edwards is above those others. At least in where he's been working over the last 5 years.

Just out of interest is Luke Norman a possible? He's been at the Bay last season and around a bit. In a senior gig at Sturt (1 GF appearance) and assisted at 3 clubs I think. Or has his ship sailed?
avatar
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 2788
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Re: Glenelg Coach

Post by Scrunch on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 am

bayman wrote:Apparently Mark Clayton having an interview this afternoon, also apparently Jade Sheedy & Sam Lonergan are in the mix....presumably others are too

Personally I think we need a respected & experienced coach

From what Ive heard over the years, Clayton is very well regarded and respected in footy circles (the other lads might be too, I just haven't heard much about them)
avatar
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1358

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum