NEW WIN LOSS FIGURES IN BUDGET EXPLANATION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEW WIN LOSS FIGURES IN BUDGET EXPLANATION

Post by mark beswick on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm

During the week as Official SANFL Historian, I asked the budget to reset Port Adelaide WIN/LOSS records from 2011-2017.

In 2010, The Port Adelaide Football Club wanted to formalise a Reserves team in the SANFL. In doing so, it gave up its share in Football Park, its place on the Football Commission, its Junior Zones and signed up to an agreement with the SANFL under its AFL Parent Licence as the “Powers” seconds side and had agreements to run an Academy Side in the SANFL Reserves competition. The Old Port Adelaide amalgamated its assets (Prince of Wales Hotel) under its “One Club” drive and achieved its aim.
It is therefore time to realise that the stats for this side needed amending on official SANFL records and publications. it was incumbent to make sure that we record our history with accuracy and note that Port Adelaide (Magpies) must be seen as a new SANFL entity since 2011 seeking to win its first Senior Football Premiership.

The revised win / loss stats should be adopted in this weeks Football Budget and wasnt a decision made by the editor or the budget so please don't hassle them.
mark beswick

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW WIN LOSS FIGURES IN BUDGET EXPLANATION

Post by Lee on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Very interesting

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:53 pm

It should be changed & it's about time, however I'd have it changing when the power reserves started in the competition
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Interesting, the problem is there are at least 5 different start dates.

1877 - when SAFA association commenced

1907 - the consensus start date for stats for every record book done since the 1970's

1997 - when the Port Adelaide Football clubs elite team played AFL, new Magpies entity formed

2011 - as outlined above

2014 - when Magpies became Power reserves

All of these have reasonably strong arguments attached to them.

I should add as the one who produces the weekly stats report for media covering SANFL (Inc Football Budget) which includes head to head stats.

The instructions I received back in 2014 was to keep records of Port Magpies in SANFL league back to 1907.

Should I be advised to change by the SANFL officials I co-ordinate with then I will act accordingly.
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Green Bay Packers, Happy Valley U10 Black
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 pm

I discussed this with 2 commissioners recently and at sanfl wafc board mtgs. Happy to chat with you phil.
I also let two sanfl employees know at beginning of the week.
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm

only ''one group'' will bitch & moan about it....while your at it Mark how about getting them to wear a ''reserves Power jumper'' rather than the magpie jumper which is nothing more than a shambolic gesture
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Think ill need to upgrade from lowly wafc board member to get that to happen AND i agree, they should wear the power jumper.
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 am

bayman wrote:only ''one group'' will bitch & moan about it....while your at it Mark how about getting them to wear a ''reserves Power jumper'' rather than the magpie jumper which is nothing more than a shambolic gesture

i agree they should wear a power reserves jumper

Sorry i wont run down either AFL seconds teams but honestly two AFL teams playing under different rules to each other
Time they both played by the same rules in the SANFL
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:07 pm

The longer they wear the prison bars, the more it dilutes their rich history pre-afl entry. I'm not sure which one of the above dates is most correct that Phil has offered, but 2014 is the version that has p!ssed me off the most and continues to do so.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:32 pm

PhilH has missed the most important date in the history of SA footy and that is 1897. That is the date most historians use. I am more than surprised that Phil states that 1907 has been used since the 1970s. That is not true. It was used up until the 1970s when Dr. Bernard Whimpress proved that 1907 was an insignificant date. All that happened in 1907 is that the SAFA changed its name to the SAFL. You might as well use 1928 when the SAFL became the SANFL. It has only been in the past few years that 1907 has been used again. Prior to Dr Whimpress' research premierships prior to 1907 were not recognised! I have been in touch with a NAFC historian who assures me that he has been in touch with Mark Beswick about correcting this mistake.
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:25 pm

My stats go back to 1870 BUT I agree with Win/Loss records beginning in 1897. I havent had time owing to health yet to update these but its on a long list of things to do.

I do love Phil's stats and the way he presents them by the way!
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Also, I posted this on the other site - FYI

Ports new annual reports start 2011.
Sturts annual report at end of 2010 talks about the new Port Adelaide as do some other club annual reports.
The 2010 Port Adelaide annual report was the last time it reported as a separate entity.
From 2011 on, you will note all Magpie accounts are part of the AFL/Powers accounts and the magpies cease to have their own separate annual report. You wil also see tokenistic references to the Maggies which gets smaller each year although still much larger than what the crows present in their year-book/report.

I have all the Power and Magpie annual reports from this period as well as all other sanfl clubs from 1970 onwards. While 2014 would sit well, historically the new Port Club starts 2011 which I agree is messy but accuarte.
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum