Post by Adelaide Hawk on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:08 am

"It's been a BIG week in footy" Smile
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Re: Football jargon that needs to go.

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 am

I must say I can cop Dennis Commetti's "nothing doing".
He invented that and a whole host of other word plays, that I find very amusing.

The sayings that irk me, are the ones rolled out by players and coaches time after time, basically because they have nothing interesting to say.
Or especially in the afl, they are coached how to speak in public along club lines.

It is so goddam boring, I don't know why they keep getting interviewed.
Maybe we should run totem poll for any player who manages to say something worth listening to.

They treat the footy public like fools.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambridge Clarrie on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:20 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I must say I can cop Dennis Commetti's "nothing doing".
He invented that and a whole host of other word plays, that I find very amusing.

The sayings that irk me, are the ones rolled out by players and coaches time after time, basically because they have nothing interesting to say.
Or especially in the afl, they are coached how to speak in public along club lines.

It is so goddam boring, I don't know why they keep getting interviewed.
Maybe we should run totem poll for any player who manages to say something worth listening to.

They treat the footy public like fools.

Yep, have to agree. I've never been insterested in listening to a player being interviewed. Rather watch grass grow, paint dry, etc...
Cambridge Clarrie

Back to top Go down

Post by chief on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:55 am

I was in Sydney a while ago and was watching a post match interview with a player. I didnt, for a long time, know which sport he had played because he was using universal sporting language.
Players being interviewed are collectively useless.
I am coming to the view that the worst interviews are with assistant coaches. These defensive minded lunatics are always using the latest buzz phrases to sound relevant.
chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:04 am

"Structure up."

Translation:Play where you've been told to play.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by chief on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:08 am

I have been considering whether we should start a campaign to Save Football . The sanfl was for a long time able , ironically, to market itself as playing traditional football. Unfortunately with the influx of AFL influenced coaches we now see that being eroded. You only have to go to see a Norwood v Westies game to see everything that is wrong with this version of the game.
chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:The sayings that irk me, are the ones rolled out by players and coaches time after time, basically because they have nothing interesting to say.

It's the main reason I stopped listening to 5AA. It was bad enough that 90% of a so-called "sports" show was devoted to AFL, but each night they would interview a player from each of the two clubs. Same questions, same answers, only the player's name differed. Funny how a footy interview would last nearly 30 minutes, and an interview for any other sport would be lucky to last 5 minutes.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 pm

chief wrote:I have been considering whether we should start a campaign to Save Football . The sanfl was for a long time able , ironically, to market itself as playing traditional football. Unfortunately with the influx of AFL influenced coaches we now see that being eroded. You only have to go to see a Norwood v Westies game to see everything that is wrong with this version of the game.

Very, VERY true chief. And the funny thing is, that style simply isn't successful in the SANFL, and yet some coaches persist with it. Bass nearly pulled one out the bag in 2010, but he had ready made AFL players such as Puopolo, Lower, Duigan, etc, in the midfield and could make it work. A Norwood v West game is not exactly a showcase for how good the game can be. It pains me to say that as a Redlegs supporter, but no point in being less than honest.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

• 'The playing group'
  • 'The leadership group'
  • Ending a sentence with '... for mine'.
  • Any string of three words or more uttered by KG, Rowey or Skeletor.
Captain Centrals

Teams : Centrals, Rangers, Villa
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by rover on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:19 pm

That's a very good point about the players. Their hands are tied. They can't really speak their mind. Some of them are nervous and others have a very limited vocabulary. A couple of them will be live in the studio for half an hour taking calls which are first vetted by the producers thus sugar coating any meaningful debate. It is without doubt the most boring and mundane radio of the entire week.
I prefer the senior coach or the CEO particularly if they are aggressive and will not take any crap from the interviewers.

The same applies to the print media. Columns by present day players(similarly hogtied) are only about singing the praises of their teammates,training and diet routines. I couldn't stand Dick Jones but the long defunct "Football Times" was worth buying for his articles alone.
rover

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
chief wrote:I have been considering whether we should start a campaign to Save Football . The sanfl was for a long time able , ironically, to market itself as playing traditional football. Unfortunately with the influx of AFL influenced coaches we now see that being eroded. You only have to go to see a Norwood v Westies game to see everything that is wrong with this version of the game.

Very, VERY true chief. And the funny thing is, that style simply isn't successful in the SANFL, and yet some coaches persist with it. Bass nearly pulled one out the bag in 2010, but he had ready made AFL players such as Puopolo, Lower, Duigan, etc, in the midfield and could make it work. A Norwood v West game is not exactly a showcase for how good the game can be. It pains me to say that as a Redlegs supporter, but no point in being less than honest.

I was about to say something along similar lines.
The sanfl is essentially about tradition. That has allowed it to prevail, but without necessarily firing on big marketing razz a mattazz. it could be argued that this tradition has allowed us to subsist, taking a bit of the gravy train science from the afl without the marketing baggage. I think that has improved the product.

I guess it is a two edged sword, we don't really want the neon lights and froth and bubble show that the afl is hell bent on perpetuating. But we do want a bit of respect and sustainability.

If the sanfl had tried to emulate the afl albeit in a smaller way, I reckon it would have imploded (there's a term for the bin) a long time ago.

If we can just garner the competition around that tradition whilst, keeping things relevant and fresh, then the sanfl will be ok.

I have digressed a lot here, so time to stop.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I think we are all on the same lines here guys.

It's terrible the way footy in general is going.

I know in media training the players are basically "robotic" in they way they are told to sit in front of a white board and given "key" words to remember.

Calls to radio are "screened" and even "set up" by clubs sometimes.

If you ever watch some old You tube clips from the 80's you might see how much the game has changed in the way they interview players and how they answer the questions.

Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:39 pm

I think that ethos applies to all sports and all players, not just Aussie Rules.
some of the after match interviews in the EPL are just as cringeworthy
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 am

Rebounds from inside 50...
The dictionary says ... To spring or bounce back after hitting or colliding with something.
Basket ball term... To retrieve and gain possession of the ball as it bounces off the backboard or rim after an unsuccessful shot.
scratch
firstblood

http://chaletos.4rumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:17 am

Captain Centrals wrote:'The leadership group'

Yep. Isn't that a ridiculous concept? Over the past 100 years, senior players have always been looked upon to provide leadership both on and off the field, but in the 21st century, for some reason it has become necessary to appoint these players to a ficticious leadership group. Just another fine example of how convoluted the game has become.
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 pm

There's a lot to be said for the old system many of us grew up with.

ie: The captain was No 1, the vice-captain No 2.

Unfortunately now it's not good to 'hurt players' feelings' Wink

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 pm

The touchy feely society we live in.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Westies Till I Die on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:27 am

Last night on the Ch 7 coverage, Bruce called 'Under arm kick' for a kick that went along the ground........ i must be getting old because when i was growing up it was the old 'Worm Burner' Smile
Westies Till I Die

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 am

"Clunked it."

Translation: 'Marked it.'

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:41 am

"Spots up".

Translation: 'Kicks it to'.

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 am

Its not so much jargon, but this trend, over the last few years, of playing the National Anthem before games at an increasing frequency is a concern. It should be reserved for very special days only, and shouldn't be some sort of "badge" to make a game more special.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:14 am

Yes, agreed, to have it played at Glenelg last night was unnecessary.

Having said that, the kid's choir did a great job.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 am

Agree with playing the national anthem ... I was only saying to mrs . Southee last night that I can't believe they are playing it at every AFL game in round 1!!

Maybe for Anzac day and grand final only ... That's it !!

Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:51 am

Must say its been said before here but " the journey" is really giving me the s..ts ATM !!!

Drives me mad!!!
Southee

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum