Round 12: North v West - Sunday 19 June @ Prospect Oval

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Round 12: North v West - Sunday 19 June @ Prospect Oval

Post by rocket_rooster on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:19 am

Lee wrote:It was from a free kick moments after Mason Middleton wasn't paid a clear mark.  

It is shown on the SAMFL highlights.

rig, I wish you'd told me he was 100/1 before the kick.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Middleton appeared to mark in the last minute.

Which brings me to a point I have always thought about umpires. They seem to be hugely influenced by the crowd. North are the classic "middle-of-the-road" supported team. We certainly have a lot more support than West, South, probably the Eagles and maybe Central but nowhere near the same support as Port of previous years or generally Norwood, other than occasionally at Prospect when we are playing well. I have always thought we get a good run from the umpires against the lesser supported sides and a rotten run against the sides with larger supporter bases. This seems to occur even in finals with the better umpires officiating.
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 12: North v West - Sunday 19 June @ Prospect Oval

Post by rocket_rooster on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:25 am

robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:NA 7-3 [45]
WA 13-4[82]
That was the score at almost 6 minutes into the last quarter

NA 12-5 [77]
WA 13-4 [82]
That was the score before George Thring scored a behind

NA 12-6[78]
WA 13-4[82]
Final score

West had 4 more disposals and won by 4 points

Decent sort of a finish by the roosters
The last Thring score , was it a easy or hard scoring opportunity ?

Man on the mark was on the 50 metre arc and at least a 45 degree angle. George Thring was about 100/1 to kick it. Lewis Hender was standing next to him and we expect him to take a handball and having a running shot. Given his longer, more powerful kick he would have been about 5/1 to kick it.

As someone else said, it would have been grand larceny.

No one around me gave Thring a chance from there knowing his kicking capabilities especially since all of his leg injuries. We too thought he should have either handed off to Hender or just tried to hit the top of the square and hope for a mark, a free or a crumb.

If the bald umpire, who looked as though he would have given himself the three Magarey medal votes, was in charge at the time he would have been certain to pull out a controversial free to one side or the other just so he could be the centre of attention.

God I hate that sort of umpire. Laurie Argent was their king and he has had a few disciples since.
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum