The Whistle.....

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Whistle.....

Post by RODH2 on Sun May 08, 2016 8:25 pm

Not a Crows Supporter, minor interest in the AFL really, just wondering if some of the AFL Guys had an opinion on the Umpiring in the Crows/WB game .....?? Seemed just a bit inconsistent IMHO! Neutral
RODH2

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: The Whistle.....

Post by Paul on Mon May 09, 2016 12:12 am

Only one of them.
I'm more worried about our turnovers than umpires.
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon May 09, 2016 6:49 am

Agreed Paul. Turnovers and I50s conceded are more concerning.

Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Mon May 09, 2016 8:50 am

Booney wrote:Agreed Paul. Turnovers and I50s conceded are more concerning.

While that is very true there are exceptions
1 Hardigan and Bulldogs forward in a tussle . Bulldog forward puts Hardigan in a headlock bulldog forward while holding this head lock takes the mark .
Umpire pays the mark .... Now commentators mentioned it was a free and all the Bulldogs players leading with their heads getting frees umpire says clearly the head must be protected .
2 Walker couldn't hold a mark if his life depended on it . Yet he drops the mark ball takes 10 to 20 seconds goes straight down to Bulldogs forward who does the exact same thing whistle blown mark . And again conmemtators watch the replay and all say it wasn't held long enough for a mark . So if walkers is play on as it should be shouldn't the same be down the bulldogs forward lne .

But the umpires weren't just wrong in the crows game I was watching part of another game . Umpire didn't make a decision then the ball goes out from a kick the umpire in play was clearly heard asking the main umpire what he should do the reply could be heard pay the decision .
Seems umpires are an issue for the AFL
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 am

Adelaide's midfield were well beaten and second to the footy, so I would've expected us to be down in the free kick count.

That said, It seems to me that there are a couple of teams that are deliberately attempting to draw high tackle and in the back frees - namely Hawthorn (they've been doing it for years) and the Bulldogs.

In both games it seemed to me that players were deliberately getting low and leading with the head and shoulders when heading into contested situations, as well as deliberately propelling themselves forward when getting tackled from behind.

On the radio this morning they were saying that in overall free differential for the season so far, the Bulldogs are 50+ ahead of the nearest team. That's an incredible margin, and suggests something a little more systematic (i.e. they are playing for them).

It's a tricky one as I guess you could call that smart play. It's not really against the rules. To me it's not really in the spirit of the game though, and there are safety concerns for players leading with their heads.

Again though, if we were first to the footy it would've gone a long way to solving the problem.
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 am

mickyj wrote:But the umpires weren't just wrong in the crows game I was watching part of another game . Umpire didn't make a decision then the ball goes out from a kick the umpire in play was clearly heard asking the main umpire what he should do the reply could be heard pay the decision .

Agreed. I can't believe people still carry on like there is an interstate bias, or some deliberate conspiracy to hinder Adelaide. What a load of bollocks.

It's more a general concern for the league that umpires are being inconsistent, and too easily influenced by players trying to draw free kicks, and potentially the crowd.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 am

Adelaide average 45 rebound 50's per game, the most in the competition. Next are Suns, Collingwood, Essendon, Port and Brisbane. Shows Adelaide, even when winning ( as with the Showdown ) are letting teams through. 68-37 against the Dogs ( remarkable to score 100 points with 37 I50's ) 52-52 with Freo, 60-48 with Hawthorn. Certainly more of a concern than the umpires. Albeit Adelaide missed out on some obvious ones and the Dogs got a couple of dubious ones, but all in all, as Ginge notes, be first to the ball and you get the frees.

The Bulldogs, with the least, at just 29 R50's per game.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon May 09, 2016 9:16 am

Adelaide are winning / performing well because they have the best forward line in the comp, and their defence is excellent at generating run.

Their midfield needs improvement to be legitimate top 4 I think.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 am

Gingernuts wrote:
mickyj wrote:But the umpires weren't just wrong in the crows game I was watching part of another game . Umpire didn't make a decision then the ball goes out from a kick the umpire in play was clearly heard asking the main umpire what he should do the reply could be heard pay the decision .

Agreed. I can't believe people still carry on like there is an interstate bias, or some deliberate conspiracy to hinder Adelaide. What a load of bollocks.

It's more a general concern for the league that umpires are being inconsistent, and too easily influenced by players trying to draw free kicks, and potentially the crowd.

Well I think Adelaide got a lucky free from dilberate out of bounds I think you can see Betts may have had a hand in that pun intended
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon May 09, 2016 9:47 am

Gingernuts wrote:

The new deliberate out of bounds rule is the worst interpretation adjustment in recent memory.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

Absolutely. I don't think the AFL makes the umpires job particularly easy to be honest.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Mon May 09, 2016 10:17 am

Booney wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

The new deliberate out of bounds rule is the worst interpretation adjustment in recent memory.

And the SANFLs dilberate out of bounds including a kick is far worse IMHO
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 am

Any rule that relies too much on an umpire's interpretation is fraught with danger IMO.

Just like the players, umpires are making split second decisions while in the thick of the contest.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 am

Gingernuts wrote:Any rule that relies too much on an umpire's interpretation is fraught with danger IMO.

Just like the players, umpires are making split second decisions while in the thick of the contest.

Two at the Port / Brisbane game yesterday the officiating umpire glanced to his counter part to see what he thought.

I clearly, very clearly saw one umpire "nod" to his mate, to call it deliberate and the second one was so obvious it was laughable.

The officiating umpire looked to his colleague, lifted his whistle to blow it and his mate shrugged his shoulders as in "I dunno"....the officiating umpire blew his whistle and called it deliberate. As he went to mark the mark the other umpire ran close enough to him to say something and smile at his mate, clearly saying "That'll be in the review".
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Mon May 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Booney wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:Any rule that relies too much on an umpire's interpretation is fraught with danger IMO.

Two at the Port / Brisbane game yesterday the officiating umpire glanced to his counter part to see what he thought.

I clearly, very clearly saw one umpire "nod" to his mate, to call it deliberate and the second one was so obvious it was laughable.

The officiating umpire looked to his colleague, lifted his whistle to blow it and his mate shrugged his shoulders as in "I dunno"....the officiating umpire blew his whistle and called it deliberate. As he went to mark the mark the other umpire ran close enough to him to say something and smile at his mate, clearly saying "That'll be in the review".

I know I've been hard on umpires but it does seem strange umpires asking each other if it's dilberate or what ever .
And I saw at the bay Friday night an umpire run from 30 to 50 meters to make a decision while the umpire 5 metres away saw nothing
Interesting
mickyj

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum