SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Scrappy on Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 am

spell_check wrote:
Paul wrote:Central 8.1 and Sturt 11.1 on the same day. Very rare for that to happen I'd think.

Two others:
Rd 8 1899
South 5.1 North 4.3
West 1.1 Port 6.5
Rd 1 1900
Port 1.1 North 6.10
West 2.1 South 3.18

It was the first time a side has scored 11.1 in a match

Just a bit more on the 1900 season
SANFL FINALS SERIES 1900
They only played Semi Final and then a Grand Final

SEMI FINAL
SA 3-10
NW 1-8

GRAND FINAL
NA 4-3
SA 1-8

In both finals the losing teams scored 1-8

Interesting to note the dates of the finals
SA V NW [Monday 3/9]
NA V SA [Saturday 8/9]

2 Questions
1 Would the Monday final be the only Monday final ever played in the SANFL
2 Is the 5 day break the shortest time between SANFL finals ever ?
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3502

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Tue May 12, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks Spelly, you're a gem.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Scrappy wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Paul wrote:Central 8.1 and Sturt 11.1 on the same day. Very rare for that to happen I'd think.

Two others:
Rd 8 1899
South 5.1 North 4.3
West 1.1 Port 6.5
Rd 1 1900
Port 1.1 North 6.10
West 2.1 South 3.18

It was the first time a side has scored 11.1 in a match

Just a bit more on the 1900 season
SANFL FINALS SERIES 1900
They only played Semi Final and then a Grand Final

SEMI FINAL
SA 3-10
NW 1-8

GRAND FINAL
NA 4-3
SA 1-8

In both finals the losing teams scored 1-8

Interesting to note the dates of the finals
SA V NW [Monday 3/9]
NA V SA [Saturday 8/9]

2 Questions
1 Would the Monday final be the only Monday final ever played in the SANFL
2 Is the 5 day break the shortest time between SANFL finals ever ?

Possibly, I only have the day the match was played on going back to 1973 (dates are going back to then, so it's something I can do sometime), although there could be another match back in those days played in those days on such a day.

I would suspect that would be the only way for a 5 day break to occur.


Flag No.9 wrote:Thanks Spelly, you're a gem.

No worries Smile
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Scrappy wrote:
2 Questions
1 Would the Monday final be the only Monday final ever played in the SANFL
2 Is the 5 day break the shortest time between SANFL finals ever ?

Had a quick look and have a Semi Final between Port and Norwood played on a Tuesday 1st September 1903, then the Final between Port and South four days after
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Scrappy on Mon May 25, 2015 8:29 pm

2014
The results when Port Reserves and Glenelg met last season

RD2
Alberton Oval
29-15[189] Port Reserves
5-7 [37] Glenelg

R18
Glenelg Oval
13-14[92] Glenelg
8-12 [60] Port Reserves

184 point turnaround in the same season , in sequential meetings
Would that be one of the BIGgest or the BIGgest turarounds in a SANFL season ?
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3502

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Fri May 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Scrappy wrote:2014
The results when Port Reserves and Glenelg met last season

RD2
Alberton Oval
29-15[189] Port Reserves
5-7 [37] Glenelg

R18
Glenelg Oval
13-14[92] Glenelg
8-12 [60] Port Reserves

184 point turnaround in the same season , in sequential meetings
Would that be one of the BIGgest or the BIGgest turarounds in a SANFL season ?

5th highest, record is:
Rd 8 1988 Sturt 28.14 West 6.7 (139 points)
Rd 17 1988 West 23.14 Sturt 12.11 (69 points)
Total - 208 points
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Scrappy on Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 am

Glenelg had this amazing sequence
Rounds 14-18 in 1975 [last 5 games in Minor round]
30-26 WOODVILLE
20-20 SOUTH
27-26 NORTH
49-23 CENTRALS
29-30 WEST TORRENS

Round 1-2 in 1976[first 2 games of season ]
21-13 STURT
27-17 PORT

That is 7 games in a row that Glenelg scored 20 + goals
Would this be a record or near record ?

A most bizzare sequence occurred after that 20+ goals sequence
This was the next 4 Minor round games Glenelg played
Rounds 3-4-5-6 in 1976
17-18 NORTH
17-26 NORWOOD
17-13 WEST
17-14 PORT

That ends up being 4 games in a row when Glenelg could 'only' manage 17 goals !
4 x 17 goals in a row might have only happened once in the SANFL ?

PS
Keep up the good work Spelly
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3502

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Sat May 30, 2015 1:39 am

Are you excluding the major round from the equation?  7 20+ goals is the record, these two are without major round matches in between:
Glenelg from Rd 21 1972 to Rd 6 1973 had 25.17, 20.29, 22.19, 26.12, 20.19, 20.22 and 27.19
Port Rd 3-9 1977: 28.12, 21.9, 26.14, 23.20, 21.31, 26.16, 30.20

The second string of matches is the record.

For any goals, 6 is the record:
Sturt from Rd 13 1907 to Rd 5 1908: 4.11, 4.8, 4.10, 4.5, 4.5, 4.9
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Scrappy on Sat May 30, 2015 9:12 am

Spelly
Finals not included in my Glenelg stats OF 1975-1976
The Glenelg finals scores of 1975 were
17-24 STURT [first semi]
21-9 NORWOOD second semi]
7-10 NORWOOD[grand final]

23/8/1975 Glenelg kicked that mammoth score of 49-23 v Centrals
27/9/1975 Just over a month later scored 7-10 v Norwood
The highs and lows of football !

Glenelgs lowest score in 1975
8-15 STURT

I would assume that the biggest differential of high/low total points in a season would go to Glenelg
49-23 [317]
8-15 [63]
Thats a 254 points difference of high/low in a season
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3502

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 am

Scrappy wrote:Spelly
Finals not included in my Glenelg stats OF 1975-1976
The Glenelg finals scores of 1975 were
17-24 STURT [first semi]
21-9 NORWOOD second semi]
7-10 NORWOOD[grand final]

23/8/1975 Glenelg kicked that mammoth score of 49-23 v Centrals
27/9/1975 Just over a month later scored 7-10 v Norwood
The highs and lows of football !

Glenelgs lowest score in 1975
8-15 STURT

I would assume that the biggest differential of high/low total points in a season would go to Glenelg
49-23 [317]
8-15 [63]
Thats a 254 points difference of high/low in a season

Yes - the next highest score kicked in a match is 250
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 am

Hi Spelly, just wondering where Saturday's big win over North at Prospect ranks in West's history at that ground? Thanks.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by firstblood on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 am

Below are the biggest margins West have defeated North by more than 10 goals (except 1958) at Prospect since the beginning of time. Smile
1946...West 16-17 d North 5-10
1958...West 16-21 d North 10-11
1976...West 19-17 d North 8-7
1981...West 27-23 d North 17-19
1983...West 30-11 d North 18-16
1985...West 31-21 d North 16-11
2015...West 21- 6 d North 8-8
avatar
firstblood

Join date : 2011-08-24
Posts : 1331
My club : west

http://chaletos.4rumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Scrappy on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 pm

North Adelaide won the first game they played in 2015
13-12 North Adelaide
12-15 Adelaide Reserves

They could lose the next 2 games against Woodville West Torrens and  Sturt b4 the season concludes

That being the case
North will have won the first game and then lost every other game of the season

Has this ever happened in the SANFL b4 ?
avatar
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3502

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Scrappy wrote:North Adelaide won the first game they played in 2015
13-12 North Adelaide
12-15 Adelaide Reserves

They could lose the next 2 games against Woodville West Torrens and  Sturt b4 the season concludes

That being the case
North will have won the first game and then lost every other game of the season

Has this ever happened in the SANFL b4 ?
Norwood in 1919 is the only one so far
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:46 am

Spelly, can you advise when is the last time West beat Norwood by more than 69 points? Thanks in advance.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly, can you advise when is the last time West beat Norwood by more than 69 points? Thanks in advance.

Round 16 2000 - 72 points.  That is the highest winning margin at Richmond.  The other two higher winning margins by West over Norwood are 74 points (1983 2nd Semi) and 86 points (Rd 8 1962 at Norwood)
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Lee on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Spelly, is that the highrst score kicked by any team against Norwood for several years?

_________________
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
avatar
Lee

Join date : 2011-12-05
Posts : 6980
Location : Talking footy
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Lee wrote:Spelly, is that the highrst score kicked by any team against Norwood for several years?

1st Semi 2008 - Sturt 19.19. Highest score by West vs Norwood since Rd 21 2006 (23.12)
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by bayman on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Spelly,
              given the pre-elimination final on Saturday between South & Central i'll ask this question, albeit it isn't quite accurate because after round 2 South were sixth but equal second, my question is has any team been in the top 4 or top 5 (depending on whether it was a final 4 or final 5) in every round of the home & away season only to be bundled out in the last round of the home & away season ?
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7015
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

5 - 6th to 1st 1907-08
6th to 1st 1926-27
7th to 2nd 1955-56
6th to 1st 1982-83
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by bayman on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:10 pm

spell_check wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

5 - 6th to 1st 1907-08
6th to 1st 1926-27
7th to 2nd 1955-56
6th to 1st 1982-83

the 1982-1983 one is interesting, in 1983 Westies' had one of the best teams in the last 40 years or so.....how many playing changes were made in that off season & heading into 1983 ? or perhaps it was just a gradual improvement over the previous 2 or 3 years ?
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7015
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by spell_check on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:50 pm

bayman wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

5 - 6th to 1st 1907-08
6th to 1st 1926-27
7th to 2nd 1955-56
6th to 1st 1982-83

the 1982-1983 one is interesting, in 1983 Westies' had one of the best teams in the last 40 years or so.....how many playing changes were made in that off season & heading into 1983 ? or perhaps it was just a gradual improvement over the previous 2 or 3 years ?

If I was able to find statistics for each match for 1982 I could tell you exactly how many premiership matches each player played...I can only go from 1983 onwards
avatar
spell_check

Join date : 2012-02-17
Posts : 627

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:35 am

spell_check wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

5 - 6th to 1st 1907-08
6th to 1st 1926-27
7th to 2nd 1955-56
6th to 1st 1982-83

Thanks spelly, that confirms that this year we have climbed up the ladder more spots than ever before; depending on today's result it's either 6 places (9th to 3rd) or 7 places (9th to 2nd).

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: SPELL-CHECK'S SANFL STATS. Random facts: Questions answered:

Post by Flag No.10 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:42 am

bayman wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Flag No.9 wrote:Spelly,
What is the highest number of places West have improved on the ladder from one season to the next? Thanks in advance.

5 - 6th to 1st 1907-08
6th to 1st 1926-27
7th to 2nd 1955-56
6th to 1st 1982-83

the 1982-1983 one is interesting, in 1983 Westies' had one of the best teams in the last 40 years or so.....how many playing changes were made in that off season & heading into 1983 ? or perhaps it was just a gradual improvement over the previous 2 or 3 years ?
bayman, the new players added to the squad for 1983 were Robbie McKinnon, Bernie Conlen and Mark Dreher. Dexter Kennedy was cleared to Port.
We were a pretty fair side in 1982 and spent a long time in the top five before falling away at the end of the year. The recruits plugged specific holes in the team, and guys like Lindner and Craig Williams (All Australian full back) had their best seasons. Also some of the kids blooded by Trevor Hughes 3 or 4 years earlier (Bennett, Fielke, Kantilaftas) really matured.

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 2075
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum