R2 - Showdown XL

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R2 - Showdown XL

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:50 am

Well discussion in the R1 review has already turned to the Showdown so we'd better get this thread up and running!

Both teams emerge from R1 pretty much as expected with very little light shed on pre-season predictions. Adelaide still settling the line up after some significant off season changes to the playing roster and dropping what probably should have been a win, and Port still working out a few lingering 2015 gremlins.

Post away.
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Re: R2 - Showdown XL

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 pm

I've got the feeling this one might be a bit of a spicy one.

Both sides have a lot of talented players that didn't really perform to optimum levels last week and will be keen to make a mends this week - and what better game to make a statement of intent than in a Showdown.

Yep, this one will be a beauty I reckon.

From an Adelaide perspective I think they have a bit of work to do at the selection table this week. I don't think they got the mix right for Round 1 and it basically cost them the game. Several players pushed compelling cases for their selection in the SANFL on Saturday afternoon to give the selection panel and even bigger headache, albeit a good one to have.

As stated by Booney in the review of R1, I think Van Berlo and Mackay both need to go. They are in for their experience and should be delivering when the game is in the balance like that, but they were both putrid. you can excuse under 100 gamers for burning footy, but not blokes of their experience.

Some concerns in defence as well, but they may well run with the same combination for another week there.

Will be very interesting to see whether they make 4 or 5 changes, or refrain from doing too much work given it was only a 2 goal loss. Personally I hope they make some changes.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:33 pm

We've had a lot of crap players for a very long time and yes the 2 you mentioned are dead set rubbish. Always have been. Henderson was superb when we beat Port late last year and apparently played well in the SANFL on the weekend.

Either Adelaide will win or Port will win by plenty.

Port by 58
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Adelaide by 4 or 5 goals, despite losing i thought they looked more impressive than Port did in their win
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:19 am

Grudge match in round 2 and Adelaide divides this week as mates disown each other, partners get the cold shoulder and a wink and a nudge from either party is a waste of time as the battle lines are drawn. For those who don’t know, Google “Port Road – Alberton” that literally is the battle line. Between the Crows home at West Lakes and Ports base at Alberton that might only be 3km’s a part there’s a shift from apricot slice and a Twinnings to a pie and pint. Pie and pint, thanks. Adelaide looked good then stopped against the Roos while Port didn’t get going until late and then gave the Saints a bake after ¾ time. 7 goals to 1 in the last stanza.

Adelaide have one of the competitions most potent attacking line ups, Betts as one of the game’s premier small forwards, Walker as the big man and captain, Lynch the link from back to front and I think one of the most improved and imposing big men in the game now, Jenkins. Jenkins is slowly building a pretty good CV of performances and he’s becoming more consistent by the week, 5 goals against the Roos but, can they get it in there often enough with system and purpose and can they keep the other side from scoring? I think yes to the first bit and no to the second. The defence leaks, Talia leads it but has little support in the air other than Lever who will be very good, van Berlo, Brown, Cheney and Laird need to hold strong week in and week out for Adelaide to be in front at the end of the day. I think Hartigan will come in this week, didn’t expect it to be for Van Berlo, I thought he’d be dropped, but Adelaide have gone tall in the back with Hartigan, Talia, Cheney and Lever. That leaves Brown and Laird to look after Wingard and Gray. Might stifle Adelaide’s run with Laird tied up, but will perhaps free up Lever to be the third man up at contests.

Port struggled early with the Saints pressure as the ball was turned over in Port’s forward half or midfield and the Saints got 3 easy goals from turnovers in the first quarter and 7 in that style throughout the match. Led by two shades of Gray, Robbie with 26 touches, 5 tackles, 4 goals and Sam, 37 touches the Port forward line got going to hit the scoreboard for 20 goals. Ebert with 3, Dixon with 3, Wingard with 3, all the blokes who get paid to kick goals did so. With S Gray stepping up in the middle Port can now have R.Gray and Wingard inside the F50 looking to feed off the crumbs of Dixon, Westhoff and Schulz who has the licence to leave the area seeking more ball, looks promising. White set to miss most of the year with a torn pec, that must hurt, Melbourne recruit Jimmy Toumpas gets his first run in Port Adelaide colours. Might also be without Hartlett who I suspect the club won’t risk with a tight hamstring, Aaron Young the likely replacement.

Interesting dual here, Jacbos owns Lobbe in their encounters but only has Jenkins as support and Adelaide don’t look as menacing with Jenkins out of the forward line, Port will throw Trengove, Westhoff and perhaps Dixon at Jacobs this week to try and run the big ginger into the ground. Port’s run through the middle will be quicker than Adelaide’s, it’s a matter of getting enough contested ball to stop the Adelaide forwards getting some supply. Fair dinkum 50/50 this one. Port’s midfield to be the difference, Port by 15 points.
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 am

Booney wrote: Betts as one of the game’s premier small forwards

....and there it is. Wink Laughing

No idea what will happen tomorrow, but I do know it will be a cracking game.

I like the move at the selection table. Van Berlo needed to be dropped, and I'm glad they've brought Hartigan in. He was excellent in the last Showdown and played some really good footy in the second half of last season, he deserves a starting spot in defence. Cheney can play small or tall so there is still some versatility there.

Hartlett is a concern for Port and if he doesn't pass the fitness test this morning I'll be feeling slightly more confident of our chances - and by slightly I mean maybe 52.5% Adelaide, 47.5% Port. Laughing

Tomorrow can't roll around quick enough!
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 am

One of....(and still not worth what they are giving up ) Wink
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

I'm hearing that Hartlett & Schulz are OUT

Great news for the Adelaide defence
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 am

I'm hearing it's April Fools Day.

However, it is on the AFL website as well....so I'm not sure now.

Young and Howard in if it is the case.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:33 am

A few calling April Fools, are few calling fair dink.

I think it might be fair dink.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 am

Agreed, not the sure AFL would play April Fools on team selections with wagering involved.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:40 am

Confirmed, turns the table a little, two big outs.

Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:49 am

The Adelaide defence certainly looks to be a little less stretched now, but even still, anything can happen in Showdowns.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:45 am

Fair to say my first remodelled AO experience was very enjoyable. A good all round performance by the crows. We were definitely helped by the two big outs from Port- I think a fit Schulz and Hartlett would have made a massive difference. Was very impressed with Jake Lever- can't wait for him to actually grow into himself. Rory Laird was outstanding and of course Tom Lynch had one of those games when he kept being in the right place at the right time. I think we've got a great bunch of young kids with great experience now so I'm hoping we can go at least as well as last year, if not better.
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:55 am

Well well well – that didn’t really go as expected did it?

It’s too early for me to be throwing out the “I told you so’s” at this point it time, but there is clearly much more talent in this Adelaide line up than most have given credit for in the lead up to the 2016 season.

One win does not make a season (as Geelong fans discovered yesterday), but there was plenty to like about Adelaide’s performance in Showdown XL, and plenty to worry about if you’re a Port fan.

Adelaide’s work rate was top shelf, with a contribution from all 22 players.

I won’t go through all of the positives, but the couple that pleased me particularly:

Defence became Attack – What I expected to be our greatest weakness became our biggest weapon. The way the defence not only thwarted Port’s attacking forays, but looked to immediately play on and catch them on the rebound was superb. I loved the bravery and all out aggressive attack, as soon as they had possession the eyes were up and the ball was on it’s way back towards goal. Brilliant.

Pressure – Constant pressure from all 22 strangling the life out of Port. Even the likes of David MacKay, traditionally an outside player, on the bottom of packs.

2nd & 3rd Efforts – When an Adelaide player dished the ball there was no stopping for a breather, they kept running to provide a second and third and fourth option, making it seem as if there was twice as many Adelaide players out there. Really was incredible to watch.

Loved it.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Bring on Round 3 bitches!
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 pm

And I thought I'd cried all my tears on the weekend...
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Booney wrote:And I thought I'd cried all my tears on the weekend...

Watching the highlights makes me mist up a bit myself actually.... Wink
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:21 pm

That's so last weekend, time to move on mate.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Laughing
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top