Footy Budget

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Footy Budget

Post by FootyBudget on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:51 pm

bayman wrote:i went today but used Thursdays budget & it has to be a misprint because surely no one could make this mistake, for Michael Wundke  it states GP 110 & GK 101

i'm not sure whether the games played is correct or not but i'll bet anything that he's kicked a lot more than 101 goals

That one is definitely an error.

The team lists that are printed each week are supplied by the clubs which are then proofed by us before printing, so that is my fault, an error that I more often than not pick up but missed this time.
FootyBudget

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Welcome Patrick, we appreciate your comments and engaging with our posters.

We hope there is a good, constructive exchange of ideas.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Patrick,
firstly i appreciate the opportunity to ask questions & i'm sure we all do (plus it saves an email) so if this idea continues & i pray it doesn't, can you at least have room in there to write down the quarter by quarter scores of all the games, i know not many go to neutral games but a few do & having to buy 3 or 4 budgets ends up an expensive exercise, not that i did this week & i'll put this to you, do you think race clubs would sell 4 race books (Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) separately or have it condensed into one book ?

thanks for taking the time, bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:06 am

I felt that the round one budget was well worth the cost.

Welcome and thankyou for posting mate
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Please revert to the old format combining the info from all 5 editions

The wafl have a great format
Maybe have a look st how they do it and make it oart of the entry cost as they do
mark beswick

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by mark beswick on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:49 pm

In its present format, I will wait and download the pdf files and not bother buying 5 copies a week to get all the information for all five clubs and on this, I am far from alone.

Eg - If you want to record the umpires for each game, you need all 5 versions.
If you wish to resd player profiles from other clubs, you need all five printed versions.
There are many people who collect football budgets going back many years who are now out on a limb. Along with another historian, we are pdf scanning footy budgets from 1914 to make them text searchable. Having 5 versions sharing 70% of the content will make scanning these as searchable volumes in the future pointless as you will get the same page five times for one volume. It would have been good to have such a change included in recent surveys of where people see the SANFL,

I like the idea you are trying to improve content but not this way.
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:59 am

waddayamean wrote:Well done for trying something different . It seems the SANFL cannot do anything right when reading the forums. Yes I feel there have terrible decisions made but at least give credit when something is being tried .

So just try something and even if it's no good it was worth doing?
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by FootyBudget on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:07 am

bayman wrote:Hi Patrick,
             firstly i appreciate the opportunity to ask questions & i'm sure we all do (plus it saves an email) so if this idea continues & i pray it doesn't, can you at least have room in there to write down the quarter by quarter scores of all the games, i know not many go to neutral games but a few do & having to buy 3 or 4 budgets ends up an expensive exercise, not that i did this week & i'll put this to you, do you think race clubs would sell 4 race books (Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) separately or have it condensed into one book ?

Hi Bayman,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, we did not realise that this would be an issue for people going to multiple games.
There will be room to write down the quarter by quarter scores of all the League games this week and beyond.
We don't have access to information which tell us how many people go to multiple games each round, so it is difficult to determine what is necessary for each edition and what is not.
Obviously we don't expect people to buy multiple Budgets, but I feel there is enough information on each team, with the main game you get the player number, name, age, height, weight, games played and goals kicked along with space to write down goals/behinds. Then with the other games for that round it is the same but missing age, height and weight.
We feel this is enough information for someone to buy a Budget at one game, then take it with them should the choose to attend another that round.
FootyBudget

Back to top Go down

Post by FootyBudget on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:18 am

mark beswick wrote:Please revert to the old format combining the info from all 5 editions

The wafl have a great format
Maybe have a look st how they do it and make it oart of the entry cost  as they do

Hi Mark,

Including the Budget as part of the entry cost is something you would have to speak to the SANFL about, my area is just editorial.

What features of the WAFL magazine in particular do you benefit the Budget?
FootyBudget

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Footy Budget,

One thing they (WAFL) does include is the full squad with DOBs, Height, Weight, Captains AND vice-captains, previous junior club/school in a section towards the back of their weekly editions with Guernsey numbers. This is helpful when late changes are made. They also list their U18's squad with similar details in another section which is a great reference. Like us, they also have the game day players (I haven't seen their budgets this year so I am not sure if their content has changed - Will get a copy of their state budget when the WAFL play Tassie later this year and see what they include in that issue.)

They have a lot more written content and far less white space, I understand the entry cost associated with a footy budget is not something you can control but maybe something the marketing department could consider. I don't think season ticket holders are given a budget over there but I could be mistaken.

They have the advantage of their league historian being on a small retainer who works closely with their publication on a part time basis. At least that was the case last year.
Hence their statistics are usually very accurate - They have finished their gameXgame player database and have been able to separate Night/Cup game stats from H&A stats.

We need to address Port Adelaide Magpies Data. They became a new stand-alone entity in 2011 when they forfeited their league delegate and became the "One Club" entity. This is confirmed in the Sturt Annual Report and I was advised by the then league CEO that their stats were to start from 2011. I can assist with this if you like in terms of games played - won and lost. I also brought this up at a WAFC direcotrs meeting with the SANFL league delegates on one of their slides and they agreed they needed to correct the error for Port Adelaide,

The WAFL have a history focus at times where WAFL clubs engage the public to find past players which they do stories on and announce when players pass away with a compiled list in their GF edition.

Maybe others who get sent WAFL budgets can add to this to help spread ideas - I know a few blokes who may or may not be on this forum have WAFL budgets posted to them and their input would be good.

Regards
Mark
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:00 pm

mark beswick wrote:Hi Footy Budget,

One thing they (WAFL) does include is the full squad with DOBs, Height, Weight, Captains AND vice-captains, previous junior club/school in a section towards the back of their weekly editions with Guernsey numbers.  This is helpful when late changes are made.  They also list their U18's squad with similar details in another section which is a great reference. Like us, they also have the game day players   (I haven't seen their budgets this year so I am not sure if their content has changed - Will get a copy of their state budget when the WAFL play Tassie later this year and see what they include in that issue.)

They have a lot more written content and far less white space,  I understand the entry cost associated with a footy budget is not something you can control but maybe something the marketing department could consider.  I don't think season ticket holders are given a budget over there but I could be mistaken.

They have the advantage of their league historian being on a small retainer who works closely with their publication on a part time basis.  At least that was the case last year.
Hence their statistics are usually very accurate -  They have finished their gameXgame player database and have been able to separate Night/Cup game stats from H&A stats.

We need to address Port Adelaide Magpies Data.  They became a new stand-alone entity in 2011 when they forfeited their league delegate and became the "One Club" entity.  This is confirmed in the Sturt Annual Report and I was advised by the then league CEO that their stats were to start from 2011.  I can assist with this if you like in terms of games played - won and lost.     I also brought this up at a WAFC direcotrs meeting with the SANFL league delegates on one of their slides and they agreed they needed to correct the error for Port Adelaide,

The WAFL have a history focus at times where WAFL clubs engage the public to find past players which they do stories on and announce when players pass away with a compiled list in their GF edition.

Maybe others who get sent WAFL budgets can add to this to help spread ideas - I know a few blokes who may or may not be on this forum have WAFL budgets posted to them and their input would be good.

Regards
Mark

You can download them from the WAFL website.  I, too, like the content they have in them.

What's more, not only have they got Budgets on there going back to 2008; they've got ones you can download from 1921 and 1922!
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:38 pm

FootyBudget wrote:
bayman wrote:Hi Patrick,

Hi Bayman,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, we did not realise that this would be an issue for people going to multiple games.
There will be room to write down the quarter by quarter scores of all the League games this week and beyond.
We don't have access to information which tell us how many people go to multiple games each round, so it is difficult to determine what is necessary for each edition and what is not.
Obviously we don't expect people to buy multiple Budgets, but I feel there is enough information on each team, with the main game you get the player number, name, age, height, weight, games played and goals kicked along with space to write down goals/behinds. Then with the other games for that round it is the same but missing age, height and weight.
We feel this is enough information for someone to buy a Budget at one game, then take it with them should the choose to attend another that round.

thankyou Patrick, i appreciate that you've given us space for upcoming weeks & i understand your trying things & so forth, i also feel for those paper shops in town that sell the budget, how many & which ones will they sell ? but remember as an old adage says ''don't fix what isn't broke''

the one thing i used to enjoy reading was (without remembering the exact title) ''what happened with this round 10, 20 & 25 years ago'' sometimes it was 5,10,20 years ago, but you know what i mean

thank you for your time & opportunity to have our/my say
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm

without sounding too picky i would have thought the last bloke to wear number 2 & win the Magarey Medal would have been the easiest to find, after all it was in 2006
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 am

BUDGET ROUND 3
Outstanding edition
Steve Barretts blast from the past was a great read
Patrick Keams insights in on the edge were educational

BOOF
Outstanding tipping by Boof Lehmann tipping the 4 winners
One of the selections Sturt, were $4-00+ with the bookies

FROM THE VAULT
Page 11 From the Vault photos
The tackler looks like Dennis Sasche [NA]
The other player looks definitely like Glen Pill [WT]

UMPIRES SA V WA
This might be a first in the umpiring panel for the SA V WA match
Of the 8 umpires , 3 of them listed are named Matthew
Both Goal Umpires listed were Matthew[this might be a first?]
One of the Matthews would be just about the tallest goal umpire Ive seen
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Footy Budget

Post by footyscanner on Sat May 28, 2016 7:03 am

spell_check wrote:
mark beswick wrote:Hi Footy Budget,

One thing they (WAFL) does include is the full squad with DOBs, Height, Weight, Captains AND vice-captains, previous junior club/school in a section towards the back of their weekly editions with Guernsey numbers.  This is helpful when late changes are made.  They also list their U18's squad with similar details in another section which is a great reference. Like us, they also have the game day players   (I haven't seen their budgets this year so I am not sure if their content has changed - Will get a copy of their state budget when the WAFL play Tassie later this year and see what they include in that issue.)

They have a lot more written content and far less white space,  I understand the entry cost associated with a footy budget is not something you can control but maybe something the marketing department could consider.  I don't think season ticket holders are given a budget over there but I could be mistaken.

They have the advantage of their league historian being on a small retainer who works closely with their publication on a part time basis.  At least that was the case last year.
Hence their statistics are usually very accurate -  They have finished their gameXgame player database and have been able to separate Night/Cup game stats from H&A stats.

We need to address Port Adelaide Magpies Data.  They became a new stand-alone entity in 2011 when they forfeited their league delegate and became the "One Club" entity.  This is confirmed in the Sturt Annual Report and I was advised by the then league CEO that their stats were to start from 2011.  I can assist with this if you like in terms of games played - won and lost.     I also brought this up at a WAFC direcotrs meeting with the SANFL league delegates on one of their slides and they agreed they needed to correct the error for Port Adelaide,

Regards
Mark

You can download them from the WAFL website.  I, too, like the content they have in them.

What's more, not only have they got Budgets on there going back to 2008; they've got ones you can download from 1921 and 1922!

Hí there. Ive been scanning the WA Budgets for the last 4-5 years. They were meant to add more years, but unfortunately only had one person working on it. With all the other tasks being assigned to him, it was just impossible to add more seasons. They are available on a thumb drive up to 1986, as well as the Westside Football, WA's version of the Football Times. I'll be resuming the scanning next year with the aim of completing the years 1987-2007, as the Budgets from 2008 onwards are available as a download.

The one query I have with the SA Budget is why is there a 6 week wait to download them? Surely the Monday after the game would be better. The WAFL Budget can be downloaded on the Thursday before the game.
footyscanner

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 pm

a great state budget today & a lot better than the state budgets passed down on North Terrace
bayman

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum