I think Booney would be good

absolutely but would have to keep him to non Port games though
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Radio Broadcasts

Post by Booney on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:21 am

And waste these good looks on the radio? lol!
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:04 am

Good point, Booney.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:18 am

waddayamean wrote:
eartotheground wrote:With the final year of the current commercial TV broadcast deal about to start, has concern been raised from interstate regarding the ratings figures versus the cost to the broadcaster?

Yes.

First ratings figures of 2016 are of real concern.
Round 1 28,000 (Good Friday rated 43,000 in 2015), Round 2 Adelaide v Port rated 27,000 (corresponding game rated 44,000 in 2015), a fall of close to 40% over one season.
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:46 am

If you restrict radio coverage, people stop listening, then interest drops off, then people stop watching telecasts?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by William on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:50 am

More advertising may help, Such as advertising TV game times on the SANFL website, Or on the 7 website and more ads on TV.
William

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:57 am

I've seen a heap of SANFL advertising and crowds have started well. Not sure about specific TV or streaming advertising.

Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Lee wrote:If you restrict radio coverage, people stop listening, then interest drops off, then people stop watching telecasts?

Interesting point. The figures I have seen from the League for the streaming are pretty healthy...

Although, with the radio stations not getting involved in the surveys, they never knew their numbers (apart from online) so nothing to compare to...
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Lee wrote:If you restrict radio coverage, people stop listening, then interest drops off, then people stop watching telecasts?

I know many people who don't have access to the stream or are reluctant to use it as they only have access at their p/c or have rubbish laptops with poor speakers, fair to say the stream I listened to sounded like it was coming from the bottom of a cave.

Phil, is it possible to broadcast the streams via digital radio?

If not, the amount of people tuning in will most certainly drop.

As for "the numbers are good but we have nothing to compare it too"..... Laughing

The SANFL / RPH issue, regardless of who is to blame, what caused it is another kick in the guts for the SANFL.

Life doing one game, 7Mate doing one, that's about the extent of peoples listening/viewing of the competition now as it's clear crowds have dropped, so too will people tuning in.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 pm

PhilH wrote:Booney on the Boundary?

I'll need the following :

2 cans before the game.
1 can per quarter.
1 Cabcharge home ( unless I can get a lift with another caller )
Perhaps a bucket of chips about half way through the third quarter.

I think in international diplomacy, that's called getting "negotiations underway". Very Happy
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet on Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:58 pm

has the SANFL even announced anything about streaming being done, or RPH finishing? sounds like you'd have to know to tune in, if nothing said by league or in the Footy Budget
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:10 pm

The Hatchet wrote:has the SANFL even announced anything about streaming being done, or RPH finishing? sounds like you'd have to know to tune in, if nothing said by league or in the Footy Budget

Good point, I've spoken to a few people who had no idea that RPH had ceased its broadcasting of the league. The SANFL itself really isn't doing a very good job of many things at the moment.

Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Perhaps a half page in the 'Tiser on Friday morning explaining to people that RPH no longer cover the games and perhaps a few screen shots of the SANFL website pointing out where people can access the streams from?

Some information on download size too, many people will baulk at the idea of "two hours of internet downloads"....

In fact, why the **** am I thinking of this and not a paid up SANFuL employee? Media department....
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Booney wrote:
PhilH wrote:Booney on the Boundary?

I'll need the following :

2 cans before the game.
1 can per quarter.
1 Cabcharge home ( unless I can get a lift with another caller )
Perhaps a bucket of chips about half way through the third quarter.

I think in international diplomacy, that's called getting "negotiations underway". Very Happy

forget the boundary riding job, its straight to New York City for you Mr Booney & into the building that the United Nation sits in
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 pm

sadly when you get less & less people going, listening or watching on tv, no new whizz bang idea of streaming will work long term, fair enough to try things but not at the expense of tried & proven ways......this is just another reason why i think the SANFL is trying to kill itself, just go back to round 1 there was 3 or 4 totals of the crowd given at Noarlunga, i'm sure they lowered the total as too not 'play up' the interest in the spectators there, sure there wasn't 9 thousand there but there was more than the final tally posted as well.................the way its going i'll bet SANFL football will be like Sheffield Shield cricket, yep everyone has a team & hardly anyone goes & might end up going to a grand final if their team makes it & i'll predict this will be the case in no more than twelve years
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:13 am

It's either have the games streamed or not covered at all...
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by scott on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:30 am

bayman wrote:just go back to round 1 there was 3 or 4 totals of the crowd given at Noarlunga, i'm sure they lowered the total as too not 'play up' the interest in the spectators there, sure there wasn't 9 thousand there but there was more than the final tally posted as well.................
Think the scanners weren't working properly that day as mine couldn't be scanned when I went in.

Absolutely unequivocally over 5,000 no question.
scott

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 am

Big Phil wrote:It's either have the games streamed or not covered at all...

So that's it then I guess.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:22 am

For the most part I think that the community radio or stream broadcast of minor round games is a service to existing members and fans so they can keep track of how their team is going.

Neither channel is designed to be a generator of new fans from those that just happen to be accidentally listening that station or found a stream by accident on the web.

This can happen to some extent with TV due to numbers who watch but even that is limited as can be seen with the difference in viewer numbers on 7 mate compare with 7 main channel.

The change from RPH (radio or web stream) to just streaming still provides a service BUT through less channels.

On the edge of these listener numbers will be some who used to listen and thus were engaged with their club who may now find it too hard, be less engaged and drop their level of support.

It can work in reverse where good promotion of the coverage options to members and supporters along with easy access could enhance listeners and thus engagement.

But overall these numbers I think would be small.

Where I think there is an opportunity lost is club and league promotion to their fans bases that tune into these streams or broadcasts.

As a simple example how many listeners are supporters but not members of their club? Where is the membership promotion to them?

For mine there should be a club corner part of every broadcast where the participating clubs get to directly promote to listeners.

But I am just a commentator here, not involved in any of the behind the scenes organisation.

PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Green Bay Packers, Happy Valley U10 Black

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:55 am

It can work in reverse where good promotion of the coverage options to members and supporters along with easy access could enhance listeners and thus engagement.

Non existent.

Phil, I think the concern for me is for the older listener, perhaps the ones who don't get to as many games as they once did, might have internet access but aren't sure how to use it or it's cost and haven't really been educated on what has happened or what they need to do.

Big Phil, you might have missed my question, can the stream be broadcast on digital radio? I assume the signal sent out is digital.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Booney I agree that some education re accessing the we stream would be handy. Maybe that is up to each club to do in members communications when their games are web streamed.

I disagree with your non existent comment.

Proof would lie in what happened about 10 years ago when the radio started to web stream ... how many interstate and international supporters became more engaged with their club because they could now listen live to games?

Ask the John the Claret who after hearing Life FM's call of the 07 Prelim - North v Eagles hopped on a plane from England to watch the grand final. That would not have happened without the radio broadcast being accessible to him.

I am not saying it happens in huge numbers BUT done right it can happen, i have seen it.
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm

PhilH wrote:Booney I agree that some education re accessing the we stream would be handy. Maybe that is up to each club to do in members communications when their games are web streamed.

I think it's up to the SANFL to let people know what happened, where to find the coverage and how to go about it, myself.

The clubs have plenty of individual stuff to manage, the league should cover the collective issues.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:42 pm

As you wish,  at every Eagles home game we sent out an info flyer to our members promoting what is happening on the day.

We always include the broadcast details.  

As an example this weeks is below.
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:19 pm

it's very strange that the SANFL don't seem.to be promoting it at all, most businesses would want to tell their customers about a new way to access their product, not keep it almost secret. surely wouldn't be hard to have something in their website or the Budget.
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum