2016 Rule Changes

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2016 Rule Changes

Post by Lee on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 am

The new rule has nothing to do with 'deliberate' out of bounds. It is merely a free kick if it's not touched before it goes out. Most of these frees will be as a result of skill errors. I don't have much of a problem with that, it's in the players' hands to stop it.

The occasional 'unlucky' one is something that will happen with all rules. There are 'unlucky' holding the ball frees, 'unlucky' too high frees, etc.

The increase in holding the ball frees is a deliberate instruction along with the other rules.

It's all designed to give the play a bit of flow.

Having often seen 36 players in one attacking 50 in the trials, I think the coaches will still win.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 am

mickyj wrote:
Scrappy wrote:
If you shoot for goal and score a point , a team concedes a kick off to the opposition
If you shoot for goal and kick out on the full , you concede a free kick to the opposition
If you shoot for goal and it bounces out of bounds , should the same logic apply ?

What I'm saying is it a deliberate out of bounds the ball is going for a score but bounces across and rolls out . Is that deliberate try to go out ?

And if it is a yes then there were a few that were not paid that should have been . and not the same one more like stepping out side the line handballing etc etc if the shot for goal is a deliberate then stepping across the line is also a free .

Holding the ball I dont have an issue with as both sides are forced to adapt which is a good thing IMHO,

The logic
Nothing is deliberate when shooting for goal and not scoring a goal
If you score a point that is not deliberate
If you kick out on the full that is not deliberate
Should it be any different if it bounces out of bounds ?

I hear both of Mickey and Bayman it is a tough tough rule when shooting for goal
But there is another way of looking at it
The skill level of the player needs to be higher
A good enough kick that scores a goal will be done without conceding possession
A bad enough kick that is a bouncy out of bounds will become a penalty
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 am

Lee wrote:The new rule has nothing to do with 'deliberate' out of bounds.  It is merely a free kick if it's not touched before it goes out.  Most of these frees will be as a result of skill errors.  I don't have much of a problem with that, it's in the players' hands to stop it.

The occasional 'unlucky' one is something that will happen with all rules.  There are 'unlucky' holding the ball frees, 'unlucky' too high frees, etc.

The increase in holding the ball frees is a deliberate instruction along with the other rules.

It's all designed to give the play a bit of flow.

Having often seen 36 players in one attacking 50 in the trials, I think the coaches will still win.
After watching basically two trials I think that the holding the ball rule now will cause Players to speed up a bit , nothing wrong with that .
Both sides of fans should hopefully see it goes both ways .
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:34 am

Scrappy wrote:
mickyj wrote:
Scrappy wrote:
If you shoot for goal and score a point , a team concedes a kick off to the opposition
If you shoot for goal and kick out on the full , you concede a free kick to the opposition
If you shoot for goal and it bounces out of bounds , should the same logic apply ?

What I'm saying is it a deliberate out of bounds the ball is going for a score but bounces across and rolls out . Is that deliberate try to go out ?

And if it is a yes then there were a few that were not paid that should have been . and not the same one more like stepping out side the line handballing etc etc if the shot for goal is a deliberate then stepping across the line is also a free .

Holding the ball I dont have an issue with as both sides are forced to adapt which is a good thing IMHO,

The logic
Nothing is deliberate when shooting for goal and not scoring a goal
If you score a point that is not deliberate
If you kick out on the full that is not deliberate
Should it be any different if it bounces out of bounds ?

I hear both of Mickey and Bayman it is a tough tough rule when shooting for goal
But there is another way of looking at it
The skill level of the player needs to be higher
A good enough kick that scores a goal will be done without conceding possession
A bad enough kick that is a bouncy out of bounds will become a penalty
I understand what your saying Scrappy . I guess we as fans will need to see if the rule goes ahead in the season proper .
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:42 am

NORWOOD V PORT ROUND 1
* And the Redlegs stood their ground , giving as good as they got
What was obvious early was the stricter interpretation of holding the holding the ball rule
As for the new out of bounds rule, it is simply awful.*

By
Warren Partland
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Scrappy wrote:NORWOOD V PORT ROUND 1
* And the Redlegs stood their ground , giving as good as they got
What was obvious early was the stricter interpretation of holding the holding the ball rule
As for the new out of bounds rule, it is simply awful.*

By
Warren Partland

after watching 2 games this year & a couple of trial games it is ridiculous, i wont name him but a high ranking Norwood official has sent an email overnight to the SANFL pushing for it to be abolished, we need blokes like Warren publishing his thoughts (the thoughts of most people, them being the people around me last night & today) rather than being a scribe that ''tows the party line''
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 am

The last touch rule is crap players get tackled handball free and the ball rolls of out bounds free kick.A player leads up the ball drops short and bounces at right angles and goes out free kick.Even talking to players they dont want the rule its garbage.
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:49 am

southern bulldog wrote:The last touch rule is crap players get tackled handball free and the ball rolls of out bounds free kick.A player leads up the ball drops short and bounces at right angles and goes out free kick.Even talking to players they dont want the rule its garbage.
I still wonder over kicking for goal it's bounces in front of both goals and points and goes out of bounds free kick .
Not on the full but still free kick or it was last week in a trial
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:16 pm

OK someone please explain to me the deliberate out of bounds rule .
In front of myself on the boundary line a south runner ran in front of the ball halting one eagles player and one south player from getting near the ball ,
Yet it was a south free kick the runner impedes the players from reaching the ball .
Surely the umpire can change the ruling
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 am

Saw the South/Eagles reserves game on the weekend and South were not given an out of bounds because the player shepherded the ball over the line.The umpire could be heard telling the players why only problem the players didnt know that was a rule.
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:23 am

southern bulldog wrote:Saw the South/Eagles reserves game on the weekend and South were not given an out of bounds because the player shepherded the ball over the line.The umpire could be heard telling the players why only problem the players didnt know that was a rule.
yep that was in front of me
South players at times would pick the ball up and kick away the umpires would call the ball back to be thrown in .
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by William on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Over the 3 games I have seen I have heard a number of players shouting leave it or don't touch it to team mates when the ball looks like going out.

It also seems like there are fans who have no idea about the out of bounds rule, I heard a number at Noarlunga on sunday that didn't seem to know the new rule had been introduced.

A suggestion could be to inform fans before the game that there has been a change in rules, this could be done on the public address system, specifically for sunday where it will be the Eagles first home game of the year, Supporters who may not have gone to the first two away games may not know the new rules have been introduced.
William

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 pm

William wrote:Over the 3 games I have seen I have heard a number of players shouting leave it or don't touch it to team mates when the ball looks like going out.

It also seems like there are fans who have no idea about the out of bounds rule, I heard a number at Noarlunga on sunday that didn't seem to know the new rule had been introduced.

A suggestion could be to inform fans before the game that there has been a change in rules, this could be done on the public address system, specifically for sunday where it will be the Eagles first home game of the year, Supporters who may not have gone to the first two away games may not know the new rules have been introduced.  

Agree that grandstand was full of people who had no clue
Holding Redden in front of goal he had no hope of reaching the ball but being held is a free from any year . that upset the south grandstand fans for some reason
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by scott on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Even though the frees ended up 37-21 our way (12-2 from the OOB last touch rule and one CB infringement, so really 24-19), I thought we were stitched up early on.

Hayes and Wundke received dubious frees early on and duly goaled from them, then Petrenko was tackled and dropped the ball in the goal square, umpire called play on and he hands it off for Wundke's third. That fired up the Southies that never relented from then onwards.

Honestly though, the Eagles definitely seemed to cop the raw end of the stick from quarter time onwards (23-12 the frees from qtr time onwards South's way, removing the last-touch frees). We seemed to win the 50:50s more often than not.

Not the biggest fan of this new last-touch rule still but the rule is at least back-and-white  and has essentially eliminated the confusion/outrage from the traditional deliberate out of bounds definition lottery that changed from umpire-to-umpire, match-to-match.
scott

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Its the players who may need to fully understand the rule because talking to them they didnt know it was a throw in if deliberately shepherded over the line.
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:33 pm

William wrote:

The Budget had the new rule changes in the opening round editions, including the bit where if players shepherd the ball over the line it will be a throw in.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
William wrote:

The Budget had the new rule changes in the opening round editions, including the bit where if players shepherd the ball over the line it will be a throw in.

All I can say is after Saturday's game south Adelaides players had no idea
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 pm

scott wrote:Even though the frees ended up 37-21 our way (12-2 from the OOB last touch rule and one CB infringement, so really 24-19), I thought we were stitched up early on.

Hayes and Wundke received dubious frees early on and duly goaled from them, then Petrenko was tackled and dropped the ball in the goal square, umpire called play on and he hands it off for Wundke's third. That fired up the Southies that never relented from then onwards.

Honestly though, the Eagles definitely seemed to cop the raw end of the stick from quarter time onwards (23-12 the frees from qtr time onwards South's way, removing the last-touch frees). We seemed to win the 50:50s more often than not.

Not the biggest fan of this new last-touch rule still but the rule is at least back-and-white  and has essentially eliminated the confusion/outrage from the traditional deliberate out of bounds definition lottery that changed from umpire-to-umpire, match-to-match.

Well I won't rubbish you for that it makes sense
At least I don't think you are or were the loud mouth south fan in the stand going ape when redden had no hope of reaching the ball . And the south player grabbed him stood in front of him free kick to redden . Even my eldest yelled back to him you can not grab a player not near the ball
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Article on SEN:

AFL needs to follow SANFL’s lead on last touch rule: Ralph
John Takemura | 06 Apr 2016, 12:25PM

image: http://www.sen.com.au/media/7387/gibson-spoil-1.jpg
Gibson spoil (1).jpg (1)

The AFL should introduce a rule currently used in the SANFL, where a free kick is awarded to the opposition if the ball is kicked or handballed directly out of bounds, says Jon Ralph.

Some people, including SEN’s own Kevin Bartlett have suggested players should be penalised for deliberate out of bounds if their only intention is to fist the ball to the boundary.

However, Ralph says the SANFL rule is more important to implement.

“I would bring in the SANFL rule in, before lack of spoiling, because I still think the defender has to have the ability to spoil,” he said on Hungry for Sport.

“This year interchanges were reduced to 60, initially 50, the coaches argued it back to 60 and the last handball or kick over the boundary line results in a free kick to the opposition.

“One SANFL coach said before the year it’s the worst rule I’ve ever seen, Chad Cornes who’s coaching said it would make the game ugly as a spectacle.

He believes the modifications have worked in the opening rounds of the SANFL season, highlighted by bigger scores and more play through the corridor.

“Two weeks in the clubs are using the central corridor like never before, they’re petrified of giving away those free kicks,” said Ralph.

“We’ve seen a spate of bumper scores, some one-sided, but a spate of bumper scores. You can still spoil the ball over the boundary, you can still rush it over in a tackle where the ball spills over.

“Those modifications are working, I think they’re great.”

Ralph believes anything that incentivises attacking footy through the centre corridor will continue to encourage more scoring.

“It might only be five, or six, or seven free kicks in the SANFL, but I reckon anything which incentivises central corridor play is fantastic,” he said.

“I still think we can crack down even further, it’s just how we do it.

“It’s not as dramatic as some people would say, because let’s face it how many times is the ball handballed towards the boundary? Not often.

“I think all it does is encourage higher scores and that’s what we want in the AFL.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/04-16/afl-needs-to-follow-sanfl-s-lead-on-last-touch-rule-ralph#sv7U8FOmEYlSGrgT.99

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by William on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Dispute having finished week 3, still hearing people don't know about the new rules, having said this I thought there was a improvement on the weekend, still hearing players instruct others when the ball is near the boundary, this may have had something to do with Adelaide playing as some of the players may not be used to the rule.
William

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm

ok, i've seen it for a month or so now & i've changed my mind somewhat, lets start by saying most footy rules/laws have grey areas & this could be another one (if i had my way) i'd suggest if a player has a shot at goal & it bounces over the boundary line then a throw in should be called, around the ground then yes use this rule, it has definitely made teams go down the middle & as a result we've seen attacking high scoring games, which i'll admit is much easier to enjoy watching than the flooding/defensive press or whatever else you want to call it
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:33 am

bayman wrote:ok, i've seen it for a month or so now & i've changed my mind somewhat, lets start by saying most footy rules/laws have grey areas & this could be another one (if i had my way) i'd suggest if a player has a shot at goal & it bounces over the boundary line then a throw in should be called, around the ground then yes use this rule, it has definitely made teams go down the middle & as a result we've seen attacking high scoring games, which i'll admit is much easier to enjoy watching than the flooding/defensive press or whatever else you want to call it

Does raise the question of a runner standing in front of two on coming players and blocking both teams from attacking the ball
Runner from south did this in front of me week 2
He blocked the path of one south one Eagles player
Result umpire gave south a free
What is the difference with south shepparding the ball out throw in
South runner blocks players path and ball goes out free kick to south
Isn't the runner shepparding the ball for a free

Just a point
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:53 am

That should've been a free to the Eagles. If the runner or a trainer is deemed to be in the way of play unless tending to an injured player it is supposed to be a free kick to the opposition.
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 am

BloodnTars wrote:That should've been a free to the Eagles. If the runner or a trainer is deemed to be in the way of play unless tending to an injured player it is supposed to be a free kick to the opposition.

I would have accepted a throw in
he was just running messages out not a trainer
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm

INTERCHANGE
60 + a maximum of 3 per quarter breaks
Total maximum of 69 per game

Should a team go over the limit the following applies
This being the 70th Interchange

*An automatic free kick to the opposition

*A 50 metre penalty measured out from the centre bounce area if the ball is in the attack of the offending team

* If it is in the attack of the non offending team it becomes an automatic shot for goal

*The player that is deemed the 70th interchange will be eliminated from the match*
This means the offending team will complete the match with 17 players on field

This was explained and confirmed by Shane Harris
Shane Harris is the South Australian umpires manager

Seems a harsh penalty if a team has to play one short
Probably will mean that sides will not get too near the 69 rotation cap
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum