AFL teams in the SANFL - Revisited

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AFL teams in the SANFL - Revisited

Post by mark beswick on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:35 pm

At this stage they don't pay - This is correct
They forfeited their distribution when they became one club and left the SANFL as a stakeholder with full knowledge that this was to be the case.
mark beswick

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 pm

i'll bet if they got the message pay up or play elsewhere they'd pay up, rather than trying to come up with an alternative competition
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 pm

I think its sanfl clubs intention that they will be paying sooner rather than later
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:10 am

bayman wrote:i spoke to a Port friend who is a bit higher up on the Port scale than our Mr Booney & i was informed that Port do not pay the $50,000.00 per year to each club, however they have no claim on the footy park assets or indeed the sanfl end of year distributions, i believe what this person said as he doesn't tell fibs, i can now see both sides of the argument but think they should be paying 'something' for the privilege of playing in the competition, i'm sure if i lobbed at a motel i'd have to pay 'something' for the use of one of the rooms etc

That's quite demeaning. Of course "your friend" is, I have nothing to do with the club, just a passionate supporter and member.

You didn't need to seek out any club official to tell you that.
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 pm

Booney wrote:
bayman wrote:i spoke to a Port friend who is a bit higher up on the Port scale than our Mr Booney & i was informed that Port do not pay the $50,000.00 per year to each club, however they have no claim on the footy park assets or indeed the sanfl end of year distributions, i believe what this person said as he doesn't tell fibs, i can now see both sides of the argument but think they should be paying 'something' for the privilege of playing in the competition, i'm sure if i lobbed at a motel i'd have to pay 'something' for the use of one of the rooms etc

That's quite demeaning. Of course "your friend" is, I have nothing to do with the club, just a passionate supporter and member.

You didn't need to seek out any club official to tell you that.

i apologize if you felt it was demeaning as i wasn't trying to be that way at all.....i asked the said club official because i wanted it clarified in my mind rather than hear say on a forum, i understood the points made as to why they aren't playing but i think something should be paid regardless of those arguments, the word that came to me today was ''licence fee''.................Mr. Booney i want an honest answer from you, do you think Port should or should not pay to play their reserves team in the sanfl ?
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Don't Port lose their Academy side next year (reserves)?
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:57 pm

I'll chuck this into the thread.  The number of AFL listed players for the Adelaide reserves team by match; the opposition; and the margin of the match. To add colour, yellow is a win, grey is a loss, and the fawny colour is a draw
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:22 pm

So is 14 players the critical mass for a win?
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:So is 14 players the critical mass for a win?

so 66% of listed players win these matches, perhaps that % could be higher or lower depending on the opposition
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Aceman on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:18 pm

The only way the current arrangement will work is if both clubs are capped in regards to AFL listed players.
Maybe a max of 12-14 AFL listed players each week, the others just have to miss out.
Aceman

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Bump...
Watching 7 news tonight, reports are that the 8 SANFL clubs want Port Adelaide (Power) to pay a fee of $50,000 to each SANFL club every year similar to the Crows to have a reserves side in the SANFL... Port are not happy of course. Very Happy
firstblood

http://chaletos.4rumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm

firstblood wrote:Bump...
Watching 7 news tonight, reports are that the 8 SANFL clubs want Port Adelaide (Power) to pay a fee of $50,000 to each SANFL club every year similar to the Crows to have a reserves side in the SANFL... Port are not happy of course. Very Happy
Saw the report. Are the Port reserves in the SANFL at no cost? If yes then some at headquarters needs investigating. The report says that they have a 15year deal.
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Port do not pay a fee. Their rationale (I think) was that they would no longer be receiving a SANFL distribution each year.

I don't think it has anything to do with junior zones..

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 pm

waddayamean wrote:I think you will find that 50k is integrated somewhere is with Ports junior zone. Lee will know.
If true , another example of weak boards.Lets hope it is true and happens.

Ports junior zone in the suburbs is now Eagles junior zones
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Lee wrote:Port do not pay a fee. Their rationale (I think) was that they would no longer be receiving a SANFL distribution each year.

I don't think it has anything to do with junior zones..

from what i can gather in the first year of the Port & Adelaide in the SANFL as AFL entities they didn't pay the $50,000.00 they were let off from this as they didn't have the $$$ (insert rolling eyes) Port have interpreted this by thinking that they never have to pay the $50,000.00 the football park assets is the other major stumbling block & i also believe discussions are taking place but unless the 8 SANFL clubs show some balls & be united in this, Port will walk all over them as they have in any of their forms over the last 100+ years, even back to when they wore pink & white
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:37 am

Well well well, yesterday proved how wrong this set up is, when either afl team are close to full strength they are almost unbeatable, if Adelaide continue with a full strength side they'll steam roll every team by over 10 goals in the next few weeks, so if/when this happens could rumblings start to occur again?
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:29 pm

There have been rumblings pre- match as well with what players the Adelaide Reserves were allowed and unallowed to select

CYE
Firstly Cam Ellis Yolmen by a SANFL ruling was deemed as unable to play
This was over turned and he was allowed to play
Yeah morally right , it would have been a shame for him personally not have played against CD
However rules are rules, and were broken to allow him to play
Very messy , I can see both points of view though

SLOANE + SMITH
Another ruling goes like this, according to a report by Michelangelo Rucci
* Adelaide also had to seek SANFL permission to NOT play new All- Australian midfielder Rory Sloane and crows half back Brodie Smith against the bulldogs.
Under SANFL rules, the Crows were compelled to play both Smith and Sloane- who missed Adelaides last AFL game against WC due to, respectively , injury and suspension- in this weeks State League Finals
This clause was written in the AFL-SANFL interchange agreement- with the introduction of AFL Reserves teams in the state league in 2014- to avert the Crows and Power stripping their SANFL sides of talent during finals.*

So in essence, if all of this is correct , with the SANFL rules
Sloane who had not played a game of SANFL this season could play
CYE who had played almost all season in the SANFL was not allowed to play
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:26 am

Given how many games CEY, Smith and Sloane had played at SANFL and AFL level, I don't really have a problem with how it panned out this week.

However there are many that point toward the rules, and them being bent for all 3 and that is also hard to argue against.

The SANFL really seem to have made a hash of things in recent years.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:06 am

Ditto to that
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:30 am

Scrunch wrote:Given how many games CEY, Smith and Sloane had played at SANFL and AFL level, I don't really have a problem with how it panned out this week.

However there are many that point toward the rules, and them being bent for all 3 and that is also hard to argue against.

The SANFL really seem to have made a hash of things in recent years.

In defence of the SANFL - they have really been forced between a rock and a hard place here.

The SANFL has been in a fairly steep decline for a long time, and has basically lost relevance completely for a generation of South Australians about my age (35yrs - 10yrs at the time the AFC joined the AFL) or under.

The SANFL board was presented with a way to keep the SANFL alive by allowing the AFL reserves teams in - probably the best business proposal to ensure the sustainability of the comp since the Crows & Power entered the AFL. At the same time they would've known full well that their entry would compromise the competition in many ways - but what were they to do? What's better - a compromised competition, or no competition at all?

I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts their hand up to be on a board like the SANFL board. It's easy to be an expert from the sidelines, but IMO they've done what they had to do and made the decisions they had to make.

The situation we have today is not due to decisions made by the SANFL in the last few years - it's still because of the way the AFL was born nearly 30 years ago. There's no way a national competition should've come directly out of a state based competition like the VFL/AFL.

The parochialism of football administrations around the country back in the late 80's has given us what we have to day - a frankenstien national comp, which operates independently of the state based comps and sucks them dry of cash, audiences and talent. If only all of the respective state leagues had got around a table back in the day and constructed a truly national competition, imagine the product we could've had.

The AFL could've been a joint venture of all of the state leagues, with benefits flowing up and down. It could've been anything - and part of me hopes that one day someone comes in and does a 'superleague' number on the AFL so we might still see a better national comp one day. Doubt it will happen though.
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:42 am

I get what you are trying to say GN, but (with respect) I think that's a pretty naive view. No doubt there has been and was always going to be challenges and threats that arose (and would continue to do so) immediately the AFL went national.

I'm not for a minute saying overseeing the local league would be easy, but there are many involved (past and present) who are conflicted by their own self-interests.

In the example we've discussed this morning, the SANFL were ultimately responsible for setting up both the rock and the hard place.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 am

The SANFL didn't (and can't) decide to allow the AFL teams in. Only the clubs have the power to admit new clubs to the comp.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:03 am

Flag No.10 wrote:The SANFL didn't (and can't) decide to allow the AFL teams in. Only the clubs have the power to admit new clubs to the comp.

I still believe the SANFL (or commission) could have brought the AFL clubs in at some point. Of course that's just an opinion though.

Technically though, the SANFL clubs didn't vote them in, 6 of the 8 individuals did.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:22 am

Yes, that's an interesting distinction. On the first point though, the SANFL doesn't legally have the power to do it.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum