2015 Attendance Comparison Thread

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2015 Attendance Comparison Thread

Post by Booney on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I don't discount that for a minute.

As noted, I'm not looking for any sympathy or a shoulder to cry on, I'm simply adding my 2 cents worth as to where the people have gone and why.

Crowd numbers are down, it won't just be one reason why people have turned their backs either.
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Updated to Round 9

spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:18 pm

I think supporters from the other 8 clubs who are unhappy about the AFL presence in the SANFL would make up the vast majority of the missing fans. 
Perhaps the increase in Port's attendances at Adelaide Oval has been partly at the expense of some former Port SANFL supporters who can't do both games.
And I know you're not looking for sympathy Booney, and I don't condone abuse but I have to say that if supporters didn't go to games because of abuse from other supporters, no one other than Port fans would ever have gone to Alberton.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Thank you, No.9....I thoroughly concur! (big smile!)
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:54 pm

well no one from ANY TEAM should have to put up with threats & abuse, humorous banter with a willing person to banter with is obviously no problem, (i think most of us would recall an ederly gentleman getting hit or kicked at Alberton several years ago, no person deserves that), anyway i can't see this being a big percentage of people missing from previous years, i know 35 people that just gave up cold turkey, i also threatened to do this & while i had every intention to do so, when it came to the crunch i just couldn't let go of supporting & watching my team, others i know from various teams will go & watch their respective sides except when they play Port or Adelaide.....i can't believe that it was believed that the Crows would attract 4,000 to games, forgetting Port the other 8 clubs a lucky to get 800 people for the reserves in the first two weeks of the finals when played at suburban grounds & lets face it, the crows are their reserves team, not league team
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 am

bayman, do you think those people are lost to the SANFL or would they return if the AFL Reserves were ejected from the comp?

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:16 am

Flag No.9 wrote:I think supporters from the other 8 clubs who are unhappy about the AFL presence in the SANFL would make up the vast majority of the missing fans. 
Perhaps the increase in Port's attendances at Adelaide Oval has been partly at the expense of some former Port SANFL supporters who can't do both games.
And I know you're not looking for sympathy Booney, and I don't condone abuse but I have to say that if supporters didn't go to games because of abuse from other supporters, no one other than Port fans would ever have gone to Alberton.

Once again, I don't discount that for a minute. I'd also like to know in your visits to Alberton have you ever been threatened with physical violence? Directly or indirectly?
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 am

Flag No.9 wrote:bayman, do you think those people are lost to the SANFL or would they return if the AFL Reserves were ejected from the comp?

My humble opinion.

If they've walked away from the clubs they supposedly love so easily I doubt they'll be back.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:19 am

Booney, I can't recall being threatened with physical violence at Alberton.

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:33 am

Could it simply be that people are sick and tired of the same teams constantly dominating the SANFL?

We had the Port Magpies 1990's era, the Central District 00's era and now the Norwood 10's era. All with the Salary cap to make the competition apparently even..

2015, standard formula, Norwood win the Premiership over West Adelaide, Eagles and Port finish third and forth, the rest of the also rans battle it out for fifth., no surprises here if a number of spectators simply could not be bothered to turn up.

In this case I think the AFC and PAFC reserves team are a side issue, I think that lack of investment into the SANFL over the last 10 years is also contributing to a decline in interest along with the failure to expand the league with representation from the Hills and North Eastern Suburbs. If the SANFL administration continue with the same myopic attitude then the competition will continue to be run into the ground as is currently the case.
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 am

Ben W wrote:Could it simply be that people are sick and tired of the same teams constantly dominating the SANFL?

We had the Port Magpies 1990's era, the Central District 00's era and now the Norwood  10's era. All with the Salary cap to make the competition apparently even..

2015, standard formula, Norwood win the Premiership over West Adelaide, Eagles and Port finish third and forth, the rest of the also rans battle it out for fifth., no surprises here if a number of spectators simply could not be bothered to turn up.

In this case I think the AFC and PAFC reserves team are a side issue, I think that lack of investment into the SANFL over the last 10 years is also contributing to a decline in interest along with the failure to expand the league with representation from the Hills and North Eastern Suburbs. If the SANFL administration continue with the same myopic attitude then the competition will continue to be run into the ground as is currently the case.

Excellent post.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:32 am

Ben W wrote:Could it simply be that people are sick and tired of the same teams constantly dominating the SANFL?

We had the Port Magpies 1990's era, the Central District 00's era and now the Norwood  10's era. All with the Salary cap to make the competition apparently even..

I don't agree at all. Port averaged a premiership every three years for the lifespan of the SANFL and it didn't deter people from going.
And to say that the admission of two 'new' teams not competing on the same terms is a side issue beggars belief.

Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:54 pm

It's also a compliment to the people who have stuck by South, West, Glenelg, North and a lesser extent Sturt as these sides have now been decade after decade in the premiership wilderness.

If, for instance, I was a Westies fan who had a mate who was a Norwood fan who left because of the reserves debate I'd give him a giant "Booo ****** hooo".

( Admin, my starred out word wasn't picked up by the filter.... Laughing )
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

I think Norwood could have had a greater casualty rate had the change come in, in any number of the previous 30 years. 1 flag between 1985-2011 is still a fairly lengthy dry spell.

I think the whole point for this to work, was that the SANFL looked at the crystal ball and effectively said "right, we're stuffed when the rusted-on diehards keel over" - So made the decision to lose a percentage of supporters prematurely in the hope of attracting new supporters through the Crows, and then growing those numbers. And that right there is precisely where it falls down. For it to succeed they MUST tap into the Crows fanbase, and they haven't been able to thus far.

They probably didn't anticipate the level of drop from Magpie fans, but it's hard to blame the fans - How many of us would put going to watch our reserves teams ahead of watching our senior team? Same can be said for Crow fans too I guess.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:18 pm

I've followed Westies for 50 odd years - I have no interest in going to watch them play a cobbled together Port team, next Saturday - my choice, and a lot of other peoples choice also, by the look of things!
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:31 pm

The Crows could be doing things to encourage their supporters along. We were promised community based activities to promote the games, I haven't seen any. A half a dozen guys hiding at the back of the grandstand doesn't really cut it.

If the Crows AFL team is playing in Adelaide what is wrong with
- getting their AFL players along to sign some autographs at the game
- having a kick to kick at half time with some kids
- touring some local zoned schools with the local SANFL players in the week prior to the SANFL game.

Perhaps we would then get more then 400 free entry Crows members to a game.
Given that they don't pay for entry anyway, playing the Crows reserves is not going to be a money spinner for any club unless the Crows get proactive to put some bums on seats.
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:00 pm

RODH2 wrote: I've followed Westies for 50 odd years - I have no interest in going to watch them play a cobbled together Port team, next Saturday -  my choice, and a lot of other peoples choice also, by the look of things!

And thus is further lost revenue to a club who has had to sell itself to itself in order to survive. You're right, it's your choice. It's also your club that suffers.

I'd go watch Port play against the 36'ers development squad in half a game of footy half a game of basketball. That's me and how I see my club though.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Easy to say for you, but Port has pushed the envelope of the integrity of the SANFL competition consistently, and in the view of many, unfairly. So, WHICH Port team are you going to watch play the 36'ers.......? (I might go to as many games this year as last, can't make it to them all - It just won't be Port or Adelaide!)
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm

RODH2 wrote: Easy to say for you, but Port has pushed the envelope of the integrity of the SANFL competition consistently, and in the view of many, unfairly. So, WHICH Port team are you going to watch play the 36'ers.......? (I might go to as many games this year as last, can't make it to them all - It just won't be Port or Adelaide!)

Laughing

Whichever one my club sends to represent it. You see, despite the wrong doings of the past and despite the current situation we all find ourselves in I'll support my club against anyone. Anywhere. Anytime.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:08 pm

And that's fair enough, Booney, I respect that. Many of us feel the competition has been degraded, we certainly weren't consulted, re the current situation, and can only voice our concern in the only way possible. And as loyal to your Club as you are, it ain't the Port Adelaide that has frustrated us all so much, over the years. (Respect that you think it is!)
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't think it is,in fact I know it isn't. I know the Magpies are diluted, I know their existence ( as they are now ) is for the purposes of our AFL sides benefit, but they're still running around the local ovals in the SANFL wearing black and white....so they're still my team.

Just as the Power in the AFL is my team. Nothing will change that. How I view them, what their purpose is however has changed. No doubt.
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

"Diluted", Ha, I would have said "concentrated" !!! LOL.
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Two points,

Flag no 9, - I would put it to you that the SANFL was already declining before the advent of the reserves in the SANFL. I went to various SANFL grand finals that were sell outs whilst the Crows had entered the SANFL yet how long has it been since we have seen our Grand Final sell out all public tickets, the writing has been on the wall for some time now IMO.

Secondly in the case of people being devoted to their club and the expectation of loyalty is fair enough, yet considering the attitude that several SANFL clubs showed for their own jumper during the foxtel cup series, I would raise questions as to the message that sends to the supporter base in general? You cannot expect to have your cake and eat it as well, if the club wants to put up a poor quality side with no regard for their own jumper and colours on the national stage, one might think that they should not be too surprised if the same attitude begins to be shown back to them when people cant be bothered to turn up to matches or functions. Imagine the SANFL sides of the 1970's - 80's putting on their colours for a match against a VFL rival and simply putting up the bulk of the reserves list for a thrashing at Football Park.. Something to be really proud of...
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Drawing a long bow using the Foxtel Cup competition in an example
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:29 pm

The SANFL has always had a bit of a dynastic feel to it - Glenelg/North of the 1980's, Sturt in the late 60's/early 70's, numerous Port dynasties. It could be Westies turn next. If people were tired of the SANFL dynasties, attendances probably would've dropped well before this year.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum