Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Lee on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:33 pm

I was pleased to see Errin Wasley-Black 'looked after' on his first night by a senior player, too, Harts Wink

How difficult is it for a senior SANFL player to balance footy, work and home life, Harts?

_________________
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
avatar
Lee

Join date : 2011-12-05
Posts : 6779
Location : Talking footy
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Lee wrote:I was pleased to see Errin Wasley-Black 'looked after' on his first night by a senior player, too, Harts  Wink

How difficult is it for a senior SANFL player to balance footy, work and home life, Harts?

Haha, yes, I like to make the young/new fellas feel comfortable. He seemed to fit in really well I thought.

The balance of work and footy isn't overly tough, with all training scheduled outside of normal working hours. I guess all it really comes down too is your dedication and drive to get to every session, and do above and beyond what's expected from you. If you have the excuse of "training is too hard" or "there's too much training" then maybe SANFL football isn't for you?! It's a semi-professional industry and there is level of commitment associated with playing good SANFL football. Some sacrifices do need to be made.

I also think support from your family and friends plays a huge part in being an SANFL footballer. Obviously with our training loads on top of part-time or full-time work, there is a lot of time you are away from family and friends, and you need their full backing to be able to commit to the time required to play at this level. And it's not just the time you need to go and train, it's the physio, massage, rehab, recovery sessions that you also need to allow for.

You can't afford to miss any sessions, and if you do, you need to make sure you're finding the time to make them up. Because each club are training just as hard as another, and you can't afford to fall behind. Our skipper, Chris Schmidt, was overseas for the first 6 weeks of our pre-season, he returned on a night we had our beep-test, and he won it. There's no denying his professionalism away from the club as he knows what it takes to be an A-grade midfielder in the SANFL.
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Harts, what do you do outside of footy?

Was it something you had planned ( as part of the modern day player post career programs ) or was it simply what worked for you and your footy?

What other sports are your passion?
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Booney wrote:Harts, what do you do outside of footy?

Was it something you had planned ( as part of the modern day player post career programs ) or was it simply what worked for you and your footy?

What other sports are your passion?

I work at Century 21 Urban in North Plympton as a property manager. My mum bought into the franchise and we manage around about 600 properties here as well as sales.

I've had several jobs since returning from Melbourne: landscaping for Australian Property and Gardens, customer service for Adelaide Metro, teachers aid at Immanuel College, personal training, sales consultant at TURNkey Australia. I also started Uni earlier this year to become a teacher, but soon realised Uni wasn't for me and found the time commitment to Uni difficult to juggle on top of footy and work. I also applied to join the Australian Defence Force at the beginning of 2014, but with a little girl on the way in a few weeks time my partner and I thought it be best I stay based in SA.

I've always wanted to serve and protect my family and friends so that was the reason for applying for the defence force. I believe one day I'll become a police officer or join the defence force, but for now am quite happy doing what I'm doing here at Century 21 Urban.

The past couple of years I've played cricket in the Adelaide and Suburban Cricket Association for South Road Cricket Club. I enjoy having a hit of golf with my brother and mates. We also head out on our kayaks off Somerton and go fishing. And I've also started following the Detroit Red Wings in the National Hockey League and will head over to the Ice Arena to watch the Adrenaline play when their season starts.


Last edited by Harts7 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:28 pm

South Road Cricket Club? Unfortunate, you could play for Western Youth Centre who have a proud history of West Adelaide Footballers playing there. Very Happy

Youngster, Bear, Rechers....etc etc.

Once again, thanks for your honesty and input here.
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Flag No.10 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Adam,
Do you think playing footy at AFL level is still fun?
Or does, e.g., being told to just run in certain patterns take a lot of the fun out of it?

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 1907
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Adam,
Do you think playing footy at AFL level is still fun?
Or does, e.g.,  being told to just run in certain patterns take a lot of the fun out of it?

Hi Flag No. 9,

Yes, I absolutely think playing footy at AFL level is still fun, but I can understand where you're coming from.

AFL football is certainly a lot more structured and organised than it is playing at lower levels, or coming from junior programs where you're entitled to basically do what ever you want on the football field. It can be overwhelming at times playing at the top level trying to remember where to structure up at each center bounce, offensive kick-in, opposition kick-in, boundary throw-in, ball-up etc. instead of focusing more on just relaxing and playing the game of football. An element of flare I think is lost at times, especially by younger players because they are more worried about doing what they're told, instead of playing their natural game.

I think you'll find that the best teams in the AFL have players who are able to defensively stick to their teams structures, but offensively still play with that natural flare and can bust games wide open. The guys that spring to mind for me are Buddy Franklin, his forward pressure (chasing and tackling) for a bloke his size is incredible, and some of the goals he's kicked over the years speak for themselves. Isaac Smith and Cyril Rioli are both defensively outstanding but have a license and natural flare to break games open. And I think Port Power as a team have really developed a strong offensive aspect to their game. They're able as a team to strangle their opponents through pressure and numbers around the ball, then run, spread and link up to consistently kick winning scores.
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Scrunch on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:09 pm

Hey Harts, whats the deal with SANFL players and beers? I'm guessing it's a lot less strict than AFL level, so are you lads (for those who so desire) allowed to have a bit of a sesh on a Saturday night after a game?
avatar
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:31 am

Scrunch wrote:Hey Harts, whats the deal with SANFL players and beers? I'm guessing it's a lot less strict than AFL level, so are you lads (for those who so desire) allowed to have a bit of a sesh on a Saturday night after a game?

Hi Scrunch,

Yes, having a few quiet drinks is certainly more relaxed in the SANFL system than it is at AFL level. We don't have any restrictions on drinking and nights out at West Adelaide, but I think it'll certainly be addressed once our leadership group is selected this week.

Having spoken to various players from differing AFL clubs on how they control/monitor they're social events, it seems most clubs follow the same guidelines. They sit down as a group, both players and coaches, at the start of a season and figure out when they can and can't have a few beverages. An 8 day break or a weekend off is generally when the boys can have a bit of a crack. 6 day breaks are a definite no no, and a 7 day break is generally a no also, unless the senior coach or leadership group think that the playing group deserve some reward for their efforts; either a few hard weeks on the training track (pre-season) or after a hard fought win. Most clubs in the SANFL will have a recovery session the morning after a game, and it's quite obvious who's had a decent nights sleep and done the right thing, compared to those who have come straight from town
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Flag No.10 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 am

Adam, what's the hardest thing to deal with for a player returning or coming to the SANFL off an AFL list? And what sort of things can guys like you say or do to help with the transition?

Flag No.10

Join date : 2012-01-07
Posts : 1907
Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Scrunch on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Harts7 wrote:
Scrunch wrote:Hey Harts, whats the deal with SANFL players and beers? I'm guessing it's a lot less strict than AFL level, so are you lads (for those who so desire) allowed to have a bit of a sesh on a Saturday night after a game?

Hi Scrunch,

Yes, having a few quiet drinks is certainly more relaxed in the SANFL system than it is at AFL level. We don't have any restrictions on drinking and nights out at West Adelaide, but I think it'll certainly be addressed once our leadership group is selected this week.

Having spoken to various players from differing AFL clubs on how they control/monitor they're social events, it seems most clubs follow the same guidelines. They sit down as a group, both players and coaches, at the start of a season and figure out when they can and can't have a few beverages. An 8 day break or a weekend off is generally when the boys can have a bit of a crack. 6 day breaks are a definite no no, and a 7 day break is generally a no also, unless the senior coach or leadership group think that the playing group deserve some reward for their efforts; either a few hard weeks on the training track (pre-season) or after a hard fought win. Most clubs in the SANFL will have a recovery session the morning after a game, and it's quite obvious who's had a decent nights sleep and done the right thing, compared to those who have come straight from town

Brilliant, thanks mate!! I'll bet that has resulted in a lot of blokes with SANFL potential never making it, or even having a crack, due to not wanting to compromise their social life.
avatar
Scrunch

Join date : 2013-02-10
Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:Adam, what's the hardest thing to deal with for a player returning or coming to the SANFL off an AFL list? And what sort of things can guys like you say or do to help with the transition?

I'd say the hardest thing about returning to league level (SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc.) from AFL level is the time commitment and professionalism still required to play at league level. It's certainly a shock to the system, working 9-5 then training 2 to 3 hours on top of that. I must admit, I found it extremely difficult after returning from Melbourne after 5 years in the AFL system, to finally start working, then structuring my footy around work. After 2 years back in the SANFL, after being injured for most of that time, struggling to find a balance between work, footy and my social life, I almost took the easy way out and threw in the towel. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't. It's a huge honor to be in the position us league footballers are currently in.

Personally, I love rocking up to Westies for training, I love the club, I still enjoy the physical contest, and I love heading out to battle on match day with my close mates. But footy isn't for everyone, and other people get their kicks out of other things in life. There's no doubting that there are more talented players out their playing in Amateur Leagues or Country Leagues that don't have the desire or work ethic to become a senior league footballer.
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Big Phil on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:54 am

Hey Harts,

Have you ever been approached by a rival SANFL club to switch over?

If you'd rather not answer that, no issue at all...

Cheers,

BP

avatar
Big Phil

Join date : 2012-01-30
Posts : 4164
Location : at an SANFL game

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:10 am

Big Phil wrote:Hey Harts,

Have you ever been approached by a rival SANFL club to switch over?

If you'd rather not answer that, no issue at all...

Cheers,

BP


Hi Phil!

I've spoken to players from different SANFL teams and they've asked if I'd ever consider making a switch. I'll be in the Red & Black until either a) my body can no longer withstand the rigors of SANFL football, or b) Westies decide to move me on. Or c) I accrue too many suspensions Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Laughing
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:32 am

C) it is then. Very Happy
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by bayman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:56 am

Booney wrote:C) it is then. Very Happy

lock it in Eddie Laughing
avatar
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 6429
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Big Phil on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 am

Hey Harts,

I thought that would be the case, thanks for the answer...

Another one for you...

What is the BEST game of footy you can remember playing in and why?

Cheers,

BP
avatar
Big Phil

Join date : 2012-01-30
Posts : 4164
Location : at an SANFL game

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:35 am

Booney wrote:C) it is then. Very Happy

Haha set myself up there didn't I!!!
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Big Phil wrote:Hey Harts,

I thought that would be the case, thanks for the answer...

Another one for you...

What is the BEST game of footy you can remember playing in and why?

Cheers,

BP

Any time you run out in a final is a great experience. I have been lucky enough to play in some big finals for Westies in 2012/2013 on Footy Park, is something I'll never forget. Playing in losing state league Grand Finals in 2008 with the Northern Bullants, and again in 2012 with West Adelaide was still a great experience even though we lost the matches to two outstanding sides.

I have been lucky enough to taste Premiership success right through my junior days at Edwardstown Football Club and in the U19s at Westies, but would love to win one at league level for the Bloods.

All in all, you can't beat playing finals footy.
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Big Phil on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, Harts...

Next question...

Have you had that goal you kicked at Woodville a measured out?

If so, how long was it?
avatar
Big Phil

Join date : 2012-01-30
Posts : 4164
Location : at an SANFL game

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Harts,

Anything you can offer me in way of backyard nicknames, good family stories or the like that I can throw at Hamish the next time I'm watching the lads train, would be great. Something to make him think "How the **** does he know that!"

Cheers
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:43 am

Big Phil wrote:Thanks for the reply, Harts...

Next question...

Have you had that goal you kicked at Woodville a measured out?

If so, how long was it?

BP!

No, have never measured that goal at Woodville. The goal you're talking about was my first kick coming back from a knee injury through the reserves back in 2011. I was playing at Centre Half Forward and had pushed up to just past the wing and received a switch kick out of defence. Aided by a pretty strong breeze I kicked the ball out in front of our Ruckman (Pete Nelson) and our Full Forward (Brad Eagle) to run on to. The ball landed about 25m out and continued to bounce and roll through for a goal.

Was very lucky!
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Harts7 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 am

Booney wrote:Harts,

Anything you can offer me in way of backyard nicknames, good family stories or the like that I can throw at Hamish the next time I'm watching the lads train, would be great. Something to make him think "How the **** does he know that!"

Cheers

YESSSS! I love quality banter...

Hammer has picked up a new nickname of late. Every Tuesday night we have family dinners at Mum's joint. There was a period of time where all he and his girlfriend would do is sit on the couch and cuddle all evening. It was sickening. So we started nicknaming him "Cuddles".

He also preferred to wear girls clothes when he was younger. Much to Dad's disgust.
avatar
Harts7

Join date : 2014-11-12
Posts : 74
Location : Morphettville
Teams : Bloods, Power, Red Wings
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Harts7 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Thanks for the reply, Harts...

Next question...

Have you had that goal you kicked at Woodville a measured out?

If so, how long was it?

BP!

No, have never measured that goal at Woodville. The goal you're talking about was my first kick coming back from a knee injury through the reserves back in 2011. I was playing at Centre Half Forward and had pushed up to just past the wing and received a switch kick out of defence.  Aided by a pretty strong breeze I kicked the ball out in front of our Ruckman (Pete Nelson) and our Full Forward (Brad Eagle) to run on to. The ball landed about 25m out and continued to bounce and roll through for a goal.

Was very lucky!

Google Earth men, use Google Earth.
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Re: Get a Player's View - Ask Harts

Post by Booney on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Harts7 wrote:
Booney wrote:Harts,

Anything you can offer me in way of backyard nicknames, good family stories or the like that I can throw at Hamish the next time I'm watching the lads train, would be great. Something to make him think "How the **** does he know that!"

Cheers

YESSSS! I love quality banter...

Hammer has picked up a new nickname of late. Every Tuesday night we have family dinners at Mum's joint. There was a period of time where all he and his girlfriend would do is sit on the couch and cuddle all evening. It was sickening. So we started nicknaming him "Cuddles".

He also preferred to wear girls clothes when he was younger. Much to Dad's disgust.  

He'd knock me flying, I'm not mentioning that! Laughing

And that is just the type of stuff I'm after.

I'd imagine if getting called "Cuddles" by some bloke on the boundary was over heard by the lads, it just might stick. We could be onto something here. Laughing
avatar
Booney

Join date : 2011-12-12
Posts : 1969
Location : Alberton.....literally.
Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum