Indonesia

Go down

Indonesia

Post by Lee on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 am

The new President's cabinet was announced today.

I'll miss Marty Nagatiwala as Foreign Minister.
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Re: Indonesia

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 am

Now that Indonesia has achieved what it set out to do in killing this Bali 9 duo in a very messy, very public and very undignified way, what backlash will now be felt both politically and socially?

Julie Bishop outlined a range of possibilities from a political point of view.

TV presenter, Cosi is asking people to conisider boycotting Bali as a tourist destination.

I must confess to thinking they (the Indonesian Govt) are very publically hypocritical with this execution policy, given their good track record in saving their nationals abroad with death penalty sentences.

Personally, I hope our government is quite strong in its protest measures including what Abbott hinted at earlier in reviewing the level of foreign aid to Indonesia.

However, I hope the media is measured in how it reports this event. I hope they refrain from sensationalising the plight of these 2 guys in making them out to be heroes in some way. They were found guilty of a serious crime and nothing that follows thereafter changes that.

But in watching and reading a few stories from around the globe this week, brings home just how troubled the world is with radical groups perverting both religion and justice.

Examples:
- Four Corners episode interviewing ISIL prisoners held by the Kurdish resistence. Their brand of Islam is extremely disturbing and from their own words. They look forward to death in battle and the promise of 72 virgins in the afterlife. FFS? However, if a Kurd woman fighter shoots them, alas, no virgins!
- The "wisdom" of Boko Harem in Nigeria in detaining 200-odd girls and women and their reasons for doing so.
- The frequency of race riots occurring in the US. That a Baltimore incident can happen so easily is frightening in a supposed first world community.

The thing that is most disturbing is that these incidents seem to be increasingly met with resigned acceptance.

Without getting too political about it, our political system only seems able to offer "measured" response to most of these individual events for fear of a worse fallout that may hurt inter-country relations.

So in short, we can be horrified about such abominations, but just not too horrified....
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:20 am

Agree, great post.
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:57 am

"peace in our time" he said.

The same argument happens over and over. Just what is a 'civilised' and appropriate response to acts of aggression or barbarism, particularly against civilian populations?

At what point does a domestic issue become an international issue?

At what point does diplomacy give way to more aggressive forms of action?

At what point does political correctness end up being a mask for the truth?

Are we naïve or arrogant in believing that our forms of democracy are the best forms of government for all civilisations?

In this particular instance I can't see how the Australian government could do any more than they did.

I am against the death penalty, mainly because my beliefs dictate that no human has the authority or right to take the life of another.

That said, these men should not be made into martyrs. They did some hefty stuff. I also don't think that the fact that they were 'rehabilitated' makes any difference either, as a strong argument could be made that the threat of death provided the motivation for them to rehabilitate.

However the heat should definitely be applied to Indonesia for their conduct on the matter. The executions themselves were barbaric, their judicial system flawed and corrupt, and the grandstanding and dicking around of these peoples families for the last month or so is completely unacceptable.
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum