Trotting

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm

bayman wrote:
Scrappy wrote:I can see Fattys point of view
$300,000 prizemoney for the Fremantle Cup
$100,000 prizemoney for the SA Pacing Cup

the plan for the horse is Melbourne, so they stay in Perth a month or so & then travel over the nullarbor & straight to Melbourne in likely high temperatures, yeah that'd be great for the horses welfare & preparation Embarassed Embarassed given our heatwave i was surprised he didn't scratch......they are animals not machines



I read the press release before I posted
The connections of the horse would know better than me, and how to place the horse
They didnt run in the Fremantle Cup, instead are racing in Adelaide in the SA Pacing Cup
This course of action is stated to have the horse better prepared for an upcoming Victorian campaign

However Fattys has raised a good point
The connections are giving up 200,000 difference in prize monies by running in SA and not WA this weekend
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:24 pm

money is not God, the welfare of the animal is paramount & i'll bet Mr Purdon is better trainer of a horse than fatty, you & me combined
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by fatty on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:52 pm

where is jim jacques?
fatty
fatty

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 91
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:52 pm

fatty wrote:where is jim jacques?


I've edited my post as I was told one thing last night but I can verify he was at his nieces wedding


Last edited by bayman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Smolda was a terrific win, what we would have expected
I reckon Jilliby Jagger should have won the race though, in hindsight
Smolda dodged the early interference , as a result found a reasonably cheap death seat position
Smolda nailed Jilliby Dollar on the line
Had Smolda been made to run wide and work around the field to find the death , perhaps the champ may have lost ???

Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:13 am

The horsemanship of Mark Purdon was outstanding when the leader put the hand brake on & disorganized the field, yes he got to the death cheaply after being held up a bit in the kaos, however while jilliby Jagger was very brave in a smart driving tactic I think you'll find Mark Purdon nursed the horse & just did enough to win, decent crowd in the vicinity of 2,500
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by testy on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 am

The photo in today's paper of Smolda winning last night is not correct.
Mark Purdon the driver wore blue silks and the photo shows a horse winning by a much bigger margin than was the case last night.
Very ordinary by the sunday mail.
testy
testy

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1432
Location : Dog House
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Every punter Ive asked, amounting to half a dozen opinions have said Smolda would not have , or struggled to win , if Smolda didnt find the death seat so quickly

One opinion
* Huge effort from the death, given the sectionals. Entitled to drop dead.
If it had to work to get there, given the close finish, it would have reversed the placings.*

Another opinion
* It won mainly because of the interference. Would have really struggled if it had to go around the whole field to find the death seat.*

My opinion
Dont get me wrong
It was a great win by Smolda , and deserved to be the winner
The run it had to put up made it a very very deserving winner
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm

bayman wrote:The horsemanship of Mark Purdon was outstanding when the leader put the hand brake on & disorganized the field, yes he got to the death cheaply after being held up a bit in the kaos, however while jilliby Jagger was very brave in a smart driving tactic I think you'll find Mark Purdon nursed the horse & just did enough to win, decent crowd in the vicinity of 2,500

You have mentioned the kaos
Smolda, just evaded the kaos , great driving by Purdon
Indeed Mark Purdon to miss kaos had to be alert and get smart
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Lee on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Thank you, 99.
Lee
Lee

Join date : 2011-12-05
Posts : 7144
Location : Talking footy
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm

The horse as I said was nursed up the straight & like in any sport champions find a way to win, as for the scrimmage it balked smolda but Mark Purdons' horsemanship was sensational, as we've all said, now had that scrimmage not occurred smolda would still have got a "cheap" death seat because only messini would have gone in front of it & would have been happy to let smolda by & take a one out one back position to have the last crack at the leaders, (source from a mate that works for that stable) none of the locals would have gone 3 wide early as that would have given them less hope than they had
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:02 pm

By the way smolda won officially by 2.3 metres so it didn't "just win on the line"
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by firstblood on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am

bayman wrote:By the way smolda won officially by 2.3 metres so it didn't "just win  on the line"

I went to Globe Derby and watched this race... a great win by Smolda, apparently he broke the track record so i don't think it was a lucky win.

I just wish some of the other horses i backed did the same. Apart from Pocketfullofcash (my only winner on the night) . Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Join date : 2011-08-24
Posts : 1353
My club : west

http://chaletos.4rumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 am

Agree FB
Smolda
Irrespective of IFs it was a awesome win
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by fatty on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 pm

bayman wrote:money is not God, the welfare of the animal is paramount & i'll bet Mr Purdon is better trainer of a horse than fatty, you & me combined

money is not god, really? so the horse goes and bows on tendon or breaks a bone in trackwork and is finished............which has happened to champions plenty of times, make hay while the sunshines is the motto surely
fatty
fatty

Join date : 2012-02-03
Posts : 91
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 pm

They are not machines, while the standard bred is a tough breed if you over race horses they'll eventually burn out & lose desire to compete, i'd much rather look after a horse rather than a short 2 or 3 years of racing, as for injuries they occur in every sport
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by testy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:05 pm

fatty wrote:
bayman wrote:money is not God, the welfare of the animal is paramount & i'll bet Mr Purdon is better trainer of a horse than fatty, you & me combined

money is not god, really? so the horse goes and bows on tendon or breaks a bone  in trackwork and is finished............which has happened to champions plenty of times, make hay while the sunshines is the motto surely

Fatty, the horse's health is paramount and while there was more money in Perth on the weekend (Freemantle Cup) Smolda's race campaign for this summer would have been mapped out by the connections months ago.
He flew from Melbourne to Perth to compete in the interdominion where he raced 4 times in two weeks culminating in a tough win in the final. He then flew back to Melbourne where I believe he has been based in ballarat having a short let up.
The Adelaide trip on the weekend fitted in perfectly with his race plans (less travel) which Include the Ballarat cup and the Hunter cup.
Keep in mind the horse has won over 2 million dollars and he is a rising 9 year old.


Last edited by testy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
testy
testy

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1432
Location : Dog House
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Scrappy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:44 pm

bayman wrote:By the way smolda won officially by 2.3 metres so it didn't "just win  on the line"


www.harness.org.au/photofinish/GD070117/GDC07011701.jpg

2.3 metres ?
Might be official
Can you see why I thought it was close to the line ?
Looks more like a neck win
Scrappy
Scrappy

Join date : 2012-05-15
Posts : 3740

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:35 pm

this is the official margins, as you can see it says 2.3 metres, however after speaking with someone at the trots yesterday this will get changed probably tomorrow given Mt Gambier is on today & i was a told ''obviously it is a typo error'' later in the day i was told it was ''just over 1 metre''


Final Results - Race 7 GLOBE DERBY PARK 7 January 2017 Photo Finish Play Video
2017 UBET SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PACING CUP (GROUP 1)
Race code: GDC07011701 Stakes: $100,000 Gait: PACERS Class: M0 Or Better. (GROUP 1)
2,645 METRES MOBILE START
Pl Horse Prize-
money Row &
Br TAB
# Trainer Driver
( C = Concession ) Mgn
(m) Starting
odds Stewards'
Comments
Expln
1 SMOLDA Add to Blackbook $64,242 Sr5 12 M Purdon M Purdon $ 1.20 fav PRBT C 2 SWAB NTR
BAY GELDING 8 by COURAGE UNDER FIRE NZ out of UNDER THE MATTRESS
Owner(s): G J Kennard, P I Kennard, N Pilcher, M A R Kirkwood
Breeder(s): P B (Paul) Blackshaw
2 JILLIBY JAGGER Add to Blackbook $14,442 Fr5 6 G A Craven G A Craven 2.30 $ 7.80 GS L SWAB D/F$200 EP
3 WHENMECHIEF Add to Blackbook $8,964 Fr1 1 D W Billinger D W Billinger 22.00 $ 24.10 GS 3
4 MESSINI Add to Blackbook $2,988 Sr4 11 B A Lilley A M Butt 30.20 $ 17.90 C 6
5 MARK DENNIS NZ Add to Blackbook $1,494 Sr2 9 L H Holberton R M Hryhorec 31.00 $ 43.20 PRBT C 5
6 BETTOR PARTY Add to Blackbook $1,494 Fr6 7 L B Harding D B Hill 32.80 $ 25.30 PRS RAS 9
7 HICKSTEAD NZ Add to Blackbook $1,494 Fr2 2 J D Justice J D Justice 36.60 $ 47.60 GS 10
8 TEZZ KHORA Add to Blackbook $1,494 Fr4 5 J M Seal G Lang 41.30 $ 42.00 PRBT RAS 7
9 KEAYANG STORM Add to Blackbook $1,494 Fr3 4 L H Holberton W J Hill 46.50 $ 80.40 GS RES LW C 8
10 DESDON MURRUFFY Add to Blackbook $1,494 Sr3 10 M J Craven M J Craven 58.40 $ 84.30 PRBT 4WE HI LW 4
11 ADAM CARTWRIGHT Add to Blackbook $1,494 Sr1 8 G R Norman R W Dunlop 90.40 $ 44.50 CB 17
Scratchings
LOST IN BANGKOK NZ 3
Track Rating: GOOD Gross Time: 3:12:0 Mile Rate: 1:56:8 Lead Time: 77.7
First Quarter: 29.3 Second Quarter: 29.6 Third Quarter: 27.6 Fourth Quarter: 27.8
Margins: 2.3m x 19.7m
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by The Emperor on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am

[quote="bayman"]
The Emperor wrote:Jackpot r1 trify
Box up 3,6,10 and collect.....That's what the paper odds tell me

NOT IF 3 GALLOPS ON THE FIRST TURN, i'd suggest doing this

6,10/6,10/3,7

and for less units

6,10/6,10/1,8,9

actually don't take it as it will shorten the dividend  [/quote

]

Winner winner chicken dinner, and paid alright considering how the market shaped up with the 2 clear cut favs running the Q.

I shouldn't have put my faith in the paper prices.... Crying or Very sad
The Emperor
The Emperor

Join date : 2012-03-02
Posts : 430
Location : At the helm
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by testy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:11 pm

testy wrote:
fatty wrote:
bayman wrote:money is not God, the welfare of the animal is paramount & i'll bet Mr Purdon is better trainer of a horse than fatty, you & me combined

money is not god, really? so the horse goes and bows on tendon or breaks a bone  in trackwork and is finished............which has happened to champions plenty of times, make hay while the sunshines is the motto surely

Fatty, the horse's health is paramount and while there was more money in Perth on the weekend (Freemantle Cup) Smolda's race campaign for this summer would have been mapped out by the connections months ago.
He flew from Melbourne to Perth to compete in the interdominion where he raced 4 times in two weeks culminating in a tough win in the final. He then flew back to Melbourne where I believe he has been based in ballarat having a short let up.
The Adelaide trip on the weekend fitted in perfectly with his race plans (less travel) which Include the Ballarat cup and the Hunter cup.
Keep in mind the horse has won over 2 million dollars and he is a rising 9 year old.

Smolda won last night's ballarat cup, beating the favourite Lazarus and Lennytheshark coming in for third.
testy
testy

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1432
Location : Dog House
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by bayman on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:30 pm

testy wrote:
testy wrote:
fatty wrote:
bayman wrote:money is not God, the welfare of the animal is paramount & i'll bet Mr Purdon is better trainer of a horse than fatty, you & me combined

money is not god, really? so the horse goes and bows on tendon or breaks a bone  in trackwork and is finished............which has happened to champions plenty of times, make hay while the sunshines is the motto surely

Fatty, the horse's health is paramount and while there was more money in Perth on the weekend (Freemantle Cup) Smolda's race campaign for this summer would have been mapped out by the connections months ago.
He flew from Melbourne to Perth to compete in the interdominion where he raced 4 times in two weeks culminating in a tough win in the final. He then flew back to Melbourne where I believe he has been based in ballarat having a short let up.
The Adelaide trip on the weekend fitted in perfectly with his race plans (less travel) which Include the Ballarat cup and the Hunter cup.
Keep in mind the horse has won over 2 million dollars and he is a rising 9 year old.

Smolda won last night's ballarat cup, beating the favourite Lazarus and Lennytheshark coming in for third.

i think it proves that Mark Purdon knows what he & his team are doing for both the horse & the horses welfare & by the way it never looked like losing last night
bayman
bayman

Join date : 2012-02-05
Posts : 7396
Location : on a marx brothers set
Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by testy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 pm


Hunter Cup tomorrow night with a great field lining up.

Smolda is once again going around and should finnish highly in the placings.
testy
testy

Join date : 2012-02-02
Posts : 1432
Location : Dog House
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by The Emperor on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Bling it on wins with a run through on the cheat lane in track record time
The Emperor
The Emperor

Join date : 2012-03-02
Posts : 430
Location : At the helm
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Trotting - Page 7 Empty Re: Trotting

Post by The Emperor on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Why all the scratchings over the weekend??
The Emperor
The Emperor

Join date : 2012-03-02
Posts : 430
Location : At the helm
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum