JOHNSTON
BUCKLEY
POTTER

INT
HYNES
CLIFFORD
D CAHILL

Ive left out a Magarey medalist in Trevor Bubbles Obst
Also had to leave out some great players that include Andrew Obst , Clive Waterhouse, Brett Chalmers, Trigger Trengenza, Eric Fritzy Freeman , Roger Delaney , Darren Smith, Timmy Ginever, Andy Porplycia, Randall Gerlach, Che Cockato Collins, Bruce Light and Milan Faletic
Theres a few more that 'might qualify' as well

So many players I admired
Jack Cahill perhaps my favorite , admired by myself and Michael Kingo Taylor
Fritzy Freeman, who I saw in my first ever sanfl game I reckon he kicked about 6 goals at Alberton v West Adelaide in 1966
Also Fritzy was a BIG hitting bowling allrounder for SA and AU in cricket
The other was Randall Gerlach , whose career was unfortunately  interrupted , who knows how much greater he might have been

In those days there used be a saying, from the PA barrackers
There are 2 types of supPORTers ,those who barracked for Port , and those that wished they did !
For me I admired Port Adelaide footballers
As a kid If I could not get to a Norwood game, I would some times ride my pushbike to Alberton Oval
I would watch in awe at the ability of these PA players
I would marvel at the amazing skills of Johnny Cahill and Russell Ebert
I never had a love/hate attitude to PA as others did back then
The only downside was putting up with the PA barrackers at high school !
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Re: SANFL 1960-1999

Post by Lee on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm

You're doing a fantastic job, Scrappy.

Just a couple of observations. I agree totally with F10 about Daryl Hewitt in that team. Tyson Edwards, Mark Ricciuto and Shaun Rehn gave limited service to West.

Other back pocket players to be considered would be John Kantilaftas, Trevor Hughes, Jeff Bennetts.

Bob Keddie wouldn't be selected on his form for West. I remember him playing well, but his kicking went higher than further and I always thought he got a lot of possession, but didn't hurt the opposition much.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 pm

BOB KEDDIE
For us St Kilda barrackers the name Bob Keddie is #$&*(*&%$#$%^&*&^%$%^&

1971 VFL Grand Final
He kicked all right that day
3/4 time
SK 8-9
HW 5-7

Saints all set to win their 2nd flag
HW coach pulled off maybe the move of AFL Grand Finals history
He put Bob Keddie to full forward in the last quarter
Bob Keddie who had done very little to that point , kicked 4 goals in the last quarter
SK 11-9
HW 12-10

The move was even more significant than just the 4 goals Keddie kicked
The move was also great because the full forward until 3/4 time was one of the greatest ever forwards in Peter Hudson
Peter Hudson kicked 3 goals in this game and  finished the season with 150 goals

Other players to have played in the SANFL that played in that GF included :
Robert Day [WA-HW]
Bruce Stevenson [HW-CD/WA]
Rod Galt[SK-WT]
Glenn Elliot [SK-PA]

TREVOR HUGHES
He played for WA until 1971
I will bow to posting pressure and include him in my WA team, he fully deserves to be
Back pocket was his spot

Last edited by Scrappy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Loving these teams Scrappy, as a SANFL history tragic.

On Woodville,  I reckon Negri has to make it on the bench at least - couldn't displace McKellar in that respect.

On Port - very glad to see Evans at full forward. With great respect ti the outstanding Hodges, I saw a lot of the great full forwards from the modern era and Evans is the best I saw. Vice like hands, quick on lead, small turning circle and deadly accurate kick. Cut Norwood apart at times.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:52 pm

To think Tim Evans spent most of his  4 year VFL GE career in defence
He then played in defence for PA when he first came over
Whoever then had the brainwave to make him a full forward is genuisesque
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Golden move by Jack Cahill.

You touched on Trevor Pierson at Woodville. Much as that was an incredible achievement in 1982, I personally wouldn't have him in the Woodville team. Amazing to think that less than 25 games after that unique achievement in SANFL, his SANFL career was over after Malcolm Blight sacked him in the infamous 10 player purge after 1983 (apart from a later attempt with West Torrens). I believe he had the nickname "The Unmade Bed" among some Pecker fans.

Bob Beecroft unlucky but hard to leave out any of that forwardline.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 pm

IIt may be inadvertent with West Torrens but in my opinion, Lee Robson comfortably makes CHB ahead of Cox. Brilliant defender rarely beaten.

Rene Van Dommle unlucky at Central.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 pm

C.K wrote:Golden move by Jack Cahill.

You touched on Trevor Pierson at Woodville.  Much as that was an incredible achievement in 1982, I personally wouldn't have him in the Woodville team. Amazing to think that less than 25 games after that unique achievement in SANFL, his SANFL career was over after Malcolm Blight sacked him in the infamous 10 player purge after 1983 (apart from a later attempt with West Torrens). I believe he had the nickname "The Unmade Bed" among some Pecker fans.

Bob Beecroft unlucky but hard to leave out any of that forwardline.

Trevor Piersons 1982 season was simply amazing
This is why
RD 19 Thebarton Oval
23-13 WEST TORRENS
29-11 WOODVILLE
It was a significant win by the Peckers, it was their only win of the season
They played 22 games, so they lost the other 21 games
Woodville scored a total of 2047 points and off course won the wooden spoon
Trevor Pierson scored 104 goals
Trevor Pierson would have scored  close to a 1/3rd of the goals scored by Woodville in 1982
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Pierson was an exceptional kick for goal. I can remember when he broke into West's Reserves, he kicked something like 20 goals (in a handful of games) before he kicked his first point.

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am

Just a couple more changes to my selected teams for West Torrens
Glen Pill FB to CHB where he played most of his career
Doug Cox CHB to FB

Ive ended up with Trevor Hughes in a back pocket
How do I compare him with the other WA back pocket players ?
John Kantilaftas and Kevin Beswick were very good back pockets from what I saw

As an aside , my mob got a good back pocket off WA , Greg Nicholson
Greg Nicholson was also a good rover at West and Norwood, he won a BF at Westies
Top marks to whoever decided to make Greg Nicholson a back pocket player , he became an exceptional defender
On his BP form, if he stayed at WA , who knows, purely speculative, he might have ended up in my WA selected team
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:46 am

Great Norwood side Scrappy, agree with most of it.

Personally I'd have Harvey on the bench instead of Anderson and having not seen G Molloy or Ron Kneebone, I'd have Jimmy Thiel at CHB.

Shows the change in landscape of football these days, usually players like McGuiness, Phillips and Zorsi would be in that side given the contributions made in relation to Premiership success, but hard to fit them in.

Could actually make a case for McGuiness at CHB and Zorsi.

And if Burns qualifies I'd imagine Martin Pike and Paul Puopolo do too, but still I don't think I could squeeze them in.

Other thing you could do is move Tommy to CHB with Bruce Winter at FB. Splitting hairs I guess though, reckon you've done an excellent job.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Im glad someone spotted Richard Anderson
Sensational footballer , his career curtailed and pre-maturely ended by injury
Reckon he had  both back and leg problems or either, but stand corrected
One the cleanest fastest skilfull footballers to play at the parade

This is a massive statement , injuries may have stopped him from winning a Magarey Medal or being a star in the national competition

Paul Pup Puopolo is out of the 1960-1999 time, he  is prob the best of the 2000-2018 Norwood brigade that I can think of

Martin Booga Pike is an interesting call, his Norwood form was sound, he stepped up and played even better in the AFL

Zorzi, Phillips and McGuiness are also outstanding players of this century for Norwood

Been an enjoyable club to follow Scrunch
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Sorry Scrappy, I was thinking of my time and forget about the cut off year, d’oh! Richard Anderson was lightning quick and absolutely elite by foot. Struggled against the physical teams though as was purely an outside player. Tim McNeil another speedster who could have been anything but for injury, Matthew Kelly another cut down.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:17 pm

rocket_rooster wrote:
Scrappy wrote:North Adelaide from about Late1960s to 1999
Basically from a time I remember players from that team

D.HART.........D.SACHSE.....PARSONS

FRANCOU......LINDNER......D JARMAN

B STRINGER...A JARMAN.....PHILLIPS

J RILEY..........N SASCHE.....JAWORSKI

PAULL...........HAMMOND.....CLOKE

REDDEN
B ROBRAN
VON BERTOUCH

INTERCHANGE
ANTROBUS
J PHILLIPS
R ROBRAN

So many to choose from
Could have also included ,Allan ,Dietrich, Rebbeck, Campbell, Hearl, John Roberts and Sims- and several others
Im not sure if Nick Holland and Ben Hart played enough good games before being AFL drafted, to be considered
If I had a 1960 onwards team, I would have selected Barbary , Gilbourne , and considered Bob Pascoe

I didnt know what position to play Barrie Robran in
Centre and Centre Half forward perhaps, but I chose him as a ruck rover

Imagine seeing Barrie Robran take a high mark, as he is falling back to planet earth , handballs to Darren Jarman
Darren Jarman from 70 metres out dobs a goal

I agree with most of your selections, but no way could I have Darel Hart in front of the Ant. Interestingly in North's team of the century, Antrobus was chosen in front of both Hart and von Bertouch.
The North team of the century is considered by most historians to rank with Port as the strongest team of the century with West a close third. These teams of course are subjective.
I am thrilled that you put Peter Cloke in the team. I don't think that I have ever seen a more courageous high mark. Tommy Hafey, who coached him as a young man, once said that he ranked with Royce Hart as the greatest mark he ever coached.
I was wondering what "rover klller" Maurie Francou or his more skilled brother, Ken were doing in the side, until the penny dropped that it was actually Josh Francou. Where did Josh get his skill from?

Peter Cloke was a star footballer and brilliant 'marker' of a football
He was that good he ran 2nd in the 1979 Magarey Medal
Started at Richmond, played superbly at North Adelaide
Ended up coaching at Bordertown , then his life travels had him ending up in the Clare Valley during this century
Peter bides his time setting up bed and breakfast locations in the Clare Valley regions

One of Peter Clokes projects is the Riesling studios
www.rieslingstudios.com.au

The Cloke name is synonymous in Australian Rules football
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm

1983 SANFL GRAND FINAL

WA ...2-4...12-7....15-10...21-16
ST....3-4.....7-7.....12-11...16-12

WA were down at quarter time
Was it nerves ?
Was there a breeze ?
Was it something else ?

The something else might be because of what Ive read in the Messenger Press
Apparently the WA players were using a bus for transport to Football Park that day
There was traffic congestion , the players got to the change rooms late
The players only had about 10 minutes lee way to prepare for the game
They were down at 1/4 time, and then went on to win easily

It was a dynamic forward line 

THE NAMED LEEthal FORWARD LINE

HF ...M SMITH.........LINDNER....MORRIS

FF....C WILLIAMS....LUDERS...GROSSER

Im not suprised WA won
The named starting interchange  was Grantly Fielke and Peter Meuret  !
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:43 pm

There was a very strong wind to the southern end, Scrappy, so although West were behind at the last break, they never looked like losing at that stage.

I always remember Mike Smith's first game. I think I still have tghe Budget with my goals marked. First game of the year, I think, against Torrens.

Mike came from Richmond and I'm pretty sure he started on a half-forward flank.

Had a reasonable first game, kicked 8.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 am

Scrappy,

West adelaide tragic here --- my late father once gave me a clip across the ears for booing barry roberan -- his comment was if you do not look at the good players in both teams then you are missing half the game -- good advice

I have read your teams and it has brought back so many good memories of so many great player.

Thank you and well done mate
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

That 83’ West side is still comfortably the most devastating SANFL side I’ve seen, with all due respect to the other great teams over the years.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm

That sagely advice Oldfellas father gave him is so relevant
" If you dont look at the good players in both teams , you are missing half the game."
So so true
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Scrunch wrote:That 83’ West side is still comfortably the most devastating SANFL side I’ve seen, with all due respect to the other great teams over the years.

What many forget is that the 83 sturt team was also a truely outstanding team as well with raw talent dripping of each line --- 18 of the 21 sturt players were outright champions imo

Recently rewatched the 83 grandfinal and many have forgotten how in the third quarter legendary player michael graham  went too close to winning the grandfinal of his own boot --- truthfully it is the most sensational grandfinal quarter by any footballer i have ever seen -- just an outright champion imo

Any other year this 83 sturt side would have easily won the grandfinal with daylight second ==== i find it hard to remember a grand final with both teams being so outstand

Last edited by oldfella on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Detail)
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm

oldfella wrote:
Scrunch wrote:That 83’ West side is still comfortably the most devastating SANFL side I’ve seen, with all due respect to the other great teams over the years.

What many forget is that the 83 sturt team was also a truely outstanding team as well with raw talent dripping of each line --- 18 of the 21 sturt players were outright champions imo

Recently rewatched the 83 grandfinal and many have forgotten how in the third quarter legendary player michael graham  went too close to winning the grandfinal of his own boot --- truthfully it is the most sensational grandfinal quarter by any footballer i have ever seen -- just an outright champion imo

Any other year this 83 sturt side would have easily won the grandfinal with daylight second ==== i find it hard to remember a grand final with both teams being so outstand

I was going to post something along these lines too Oldfella. Graham was our only real standout forward that day. The Jumbo was well held and didn't really have any influence. .Peter Winter exacting revenge (?) for that day in May at Footy Park when Davies nabbed a quiet 15 majors.

I posted it recently that I thought the 83 Sturt side was better than the 78 side. As you say it did have champs all over the place. This is why what West did and the side they had that year raises their cred a couple of notches.

Michael Graham still attends quite a few Sturt home games along with Peter Motley from that side. A very personable fellow and rightfully in the Team of the Century (along with Motley).

West Adelaide
B: John Kantilaftas Tony Burgess Peter Winter
HB: Larry Watson Mark Dreher Greg Summerton
C: Robin McKinnon Richard Hamilton Randall Bennett
HF: Mike Smith Bruce Lindner Geoff Morris (vc)
F: Craig Williams Roger Luders Leon Grosser
Foll: Dirk de Jong Ian Borchard (c) Bernie Conlen
Int: Grantley Fielke Peter Meuret

Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Chambo,
Quote "Peter Winter exacting revenge (?) for that day in May at Footy Park when Davies nabbed a quiet 15 majors."

Think it was tony burgess who dealt with davies if memory is correct --- in the may davies onslaught kerls kept burgess well away from davies --- kerly was tryely a master coach and a great tactician.

Apart from the flash
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:50 pm

FWIW
Michael 'Flash' Graham once bought me a drink at a nightclub
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Neil Kerley use to buy me a beer after every home game
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:14 pm

oldfella wrote:

Yep that Sturt side was very talented. Not to mention a Norwood side that won flags either side of 83' that was competitive with Sturt (bar the Prelim) but couldn't get even remotely near it against that all-conquering West team.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum