Re: HANDS OFF OUR SANFL!!

Post by Go Legs on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 pm

That's why JO was nicked named "Shifty"
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:31 am

I'm hearing that one concern among some of the clubs is that if the Reserves teams enter the Amateur League, media focus will move there and away from the SANFL.
Would there really be that much interest in a team with ten AFL players, half of them probably rookies, playing against an amateur league team?

Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 am

bayman wrote:when the clubs vote on this i hope the clubs listen to their members & vote accordingly & not any of the present day coaches because lets face it no coach will be at any of the clubs for life

I know that Andrew Collins is totally against it.
Lee

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 am

At least an NT team would be wanting to win the flag same as everyone else.

Not so with the Crows/Power.
I know this is a sceptical veiw point, but is winning the flag at the still top of the Magpies KPIs?
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:56 am

That's a good question bc. I can only speak for myself obviously, but I seem to recall that the NT idea was put forward as a solution to what some people perceived as a "problem" in having an uneven number of teams in our competition. Something that's never bothered me. While I always thought it was unnecessary and unworkable, at least it was driven from within the SANFL, by people who were concerned about our competition. The AFL reserves push is clearly driven by the AFL to address their own agendas and has nothing to do with making the SANFL a better competition. Whenever I hear Mr D and his talking puppets going on about how it will strengthen the development of football in this state, my instinctive reaction has to do with bovine excrement. truckloads of it. Evil or Very Mad
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:58 am

"Bovine excrement" - love it, I am using that one CC!!!
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:"Bovine excrement" - love it, I am using that one CC!!!
I thought I had a copyright on it . I must check with my attorney. Laughing
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Hold your horses everyone.

The AFL the Crows/Power and Rucci are flying lots of kits at the moment in a sustained effort
to undermine the SANFL and its member clubs, why, to get the lowest price payable to the SANFL
for the 2 licenses whilst achieving a stated goal to have the Crows/Power field their seconds team
in the SANFL.

The Power have ramped up this pressure since before season 2013 by systematically bring a majority
of its "SANFL Aligned" players back to Port Adelaide Magpies.

There has even been statements that Sturt or West Adelaide are a target of take over by the Crows
to ensure they get a league berth in the SANFL.

I say stop being the bunnies in the bright head lights lets strengthen the SANFL case.

Get an independent team of known strong negotiators from outside of the SANFL and its clubs
(JO only knows how to sell at the lowest get rid of price, he has proven past history which should
condemn him from ever being part of this decision.)

Give this team the objective to negotiate the best possible price for "OUR ASSETS", Crows/Power
licenses to present to the SANFL and its clubs for final sanctioning and agreement.

That would include seeking offers from other potential bidders beside the AFL, some people laugh
but I bet the Tasmanian Football League and possibly a combined North Qld/NT would love to bid
all possibilities even from within SA should be sought.

Only then will this team be given the next task.

Negotiate a separate deal with the Crows/Power for them to join the SANFL in the SANFL Seconds
Competition, again at the best possible deal for the SANFL and its clubs.

Part of their starting brief should be achieve via the deal with the Crows/Power, TV coverage rights
agreement for the SANFL with either of the ABC/Channels 7/9/10.

We all know who will wind up paying for that deal, yes, it will be part of the AFL agreement for National
AFL coverage. In short the channel successful in that deal (Not our problem)

I am sure a few more deals could be put into place of benefit to the SANFL and its clubs.

I spit on any deal done by the SANFL that actually costs the SANFL or, much loved SA sponsors who we need
at clubs level.

Well I am sure you get the drift of where I am coming from, we need to be the strongest arm at any table,
The SANFL owns the licenses, the SANFL and its club own the League competition in SA

We are not the bunnies sitting in front of the high beam, but we need to up the ante big time.

Time to organise a short term contract for a team of 3 of the best Purchasing Managers known.

GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD.

Cheers,
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Did you really need to post this is three separate threads? I thought I was having a Groundhog day moment.Very Happy
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Might be time to save space by combining these 3 threads into one. Basically I agree with much of what Go Legs is saying. I'd qualify that by taking the TV rights business out of the debate altogether. It's nothing but a red herring that Rucci has dragged in. There's no real evidence that the ABC would not be amenable to doing a decent deal to continue their coverage. The suggestion that the Crows should give Eddie Maguire a million dollars to get into the SANFL is so ludicrous I'm amazed that even Rucci would have the gall to suggest it. Of course Port come in for free.Rolling Eyes There may be less credible journalists in the world somewhere, but off hand I can't think of any.
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Done, under the heading of the first thread on the topic.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 pm

UncleHuey wrote:Did you really need to post this is three separate threads? I thought I was having a Groundhog day moment.Very Happy
UncleHuey,

I did it to maximize the output to as many interested parties not only here but on as many forums as I could.

I did it to raise the awareness of supporters so that we could do something rather than be the bunny in the spotlight.

At the moment it all seems to be take it or leave it, a Win/Loss in the AFL's favour. I also think "you take it and shove it" is not beneficial to the SANFL,  but pay for the privilege and to our terms is a much better an outcome for the SANFL and its Clubs.
Go Legs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

No problem, now tidied up.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 pm

bigclock wrote:What are/were people's opinions on the introduction of a NT team into the SANFL a few years ago? Do people see that as a completely different situation, and if so how is it different - wouldn't it change the set up of the competition in a similar way to AFL reserves?

What I think I may be implying is that - is the resistance to this, purely from an ill feeling towards to AFL and in turn Crows/Power?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was against this suggestion at the time (still am) but it has more merit than the ''AFL reserves  bid''....not that it would happen if another team came in it should be from a metro or near metro area as it is a suburban league.....leave it as it is & let the generations to come enjoy it as well

bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm

just a question if this did unfortuneately end up happening & for example

the Wwt/Crows played Central at the Adelaide Oval as the pre game to a Crows v Collingwood match, my question is what happens to the Central season ticket holders & those Central supporters who pay weekly to watch their team  ? obviously it isn't fair to charge them for an AFL match & will there be any room to have the Central supporters at the game ? 

(obviously you can swap the example of Central with your team & ask the same questions)
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Didn't Port already have this problem last year or whatever?
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Wednesday looms as something of a watershed in this matter. My understanding is that club presidents will attend a meeting with SANFL management, at which they will be presented with the draft of the proposed deal with the AFL. If you look towards West Lakes and see a large  cloud of feathers flying in the air, you may be able to judge how well it was received. Rolling Eyes
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Cant wait to harass my club president this weekend then!
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 pm

ok, Port stay on the oval this week, while it isn't a huge major crime, it isn't a good look, it shows a distinct lack of respect to West & indeed the whole competition as a rule, i would have thought if the protocol is to go into the rooms at half time which i believe it is for player safety & so forth, then that's what should have happened, the real magpies' never ever had any problem at any of the grounds but then they aren't really the magpies anymore are they ?
When Port & Adelaide came into the competition then BOTH should abide by all the traditions of the league albeit they're paying to be in it, does 21 players need 20, 30 or whatever the number is of people in the rooms with them ?

bottom line is they did nothing sinister, however it was a morally wrong decision given the traditions of the league, in my opinion Port should apologize of a misunderstanding & everyone can move on quickly
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:57 am

"Morally wrong"....that's f'ing gold!

Bahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

No mate, sleeping with your mates wife while he's away on work is morally wrong. A team sitting on an oval at half time, morally wrong?

Stop it, please. My sides are hurting.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:30 am

AFL INTERVENTIONS
What was or is the most satisfactory era of the SANFL ?
A:Up to 1990
B:1991-2013
C:2014-Present

A
Was it better pre 1991 when the SANFL was drained of players to the VFL/AFL?
With none of those players playing in the SANFL at all

B
Was it better having players going from the Crows and Power to SANFL teams?

C
Is it better now that the Crows and Power keep their players at the one club?

I liked A by far
Prefer C to B though

The one good thing to come out of Adelaide and Port having their reserves teams playing in the SANFL , is there are not the interruptions , we have 10 teams with all their own players
The 1991-2013 model of having Crows and Power players playing for another team in another comp  had its disruptions at times
The rafferty rules of which Crows/Power players could play SANFL finals confused and alienated enough supporters to an extent
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:19 am

A was the best period .. Even toward the end when we started losing players to the VFL, we still had plenty of homegrown talent, in an era where the style of football really made for constant highlights.

There was never going to be a perfect world after the Crows came in, was a case of trying to make the best of a non-ideal situation.

Many people like their clubs not having to rely on AFL selection now under the current setup, yet a lot of people also bemoan the drop in standard, but thats going to happen when clubs lose 3 or 4 AFL listed players that were basically free recruits.
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:14 pm

I don't look at it on terms of player availabilty or loss.
But 'A' wins because you had as close to fair and even rules for all clubs.

To get back to A (albeit without the player talent pool of course), the afl needs to implement a tiered competition to include reserves sides. They won't do it of because they are too stingy even in the face of the VFL and NEAFL comps getting it half way there.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum