Howzat, Kerry Packers war

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Howzat, Kerry Packers war

Post by firstblood on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Anyone been watching it? I think it's been on tele before but i thought i'd give it a look see. Some of it's quite comical in the way they play and act like certain cricketers of the past but it does give you an incite to how one day / night cricket became so popular and what Packer had to do to get it up and running. I give it 4 stars out of 5. It certainly brings back some memories. Smile
firstblood

My club : west

http://chaletos.4rumer.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Howzat, Kerry Packers war

Post by Gingernuts on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 am

I watched it the first time and really enjoyed it (I wasn't around when it all happened).
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Mick Malone is played by Frankie Worrall
Frankie is the South Australian fast bowler recruited from Melbourne this season

I went and saw a WSC game in Melbourne in the late 70s
Watched WSC on TV , cricket is cricket
Was not a great fan of the concept , but accepted it

WSC had this stigma image at the time of being Pyjama Cricket
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 pm

The pyjama stigma came from the 'establishment' side.
This all comes through quite well in the show, albeit with the slant quite pointedly charicatured.

It was a precipitation that would have happened one way or the other.
Packer just brought it to a head and for mine for the better of cricket.

Indirectly many good parts of cricket came from WSC and not just the short form of the game.

Sides understood the value of entertainment in the sport and that has translated through all forms of the game for 35 years.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

It's ironic that many (including myself) lament the loss in relevance of one day cricket.

I think the 50 over form of the game strikes a really good balance of entertainment value while still preserving much of the pure form of cricket.

When I was a kid I loved settling in front of the tellie on a hot evening after school to take in a one dayer.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am

All really interesting stuff.

The one thing that Test cricket has that sets it apart from the quicker forms of the game is character. Players' careers often come down to one innings, or just one stroke of luck. It's tension that means something, it just the tension of the moment.

In general, most of the games to remember are Test matches.

As an older fan, do younger cricket fans remember all the test matches of the last 10 years or so, or is it just one big continuous thing where it's hard to remember individual matches?

As a youngster, I remembered all matches, mainly because there weren't as many games, so they were the undisputed pinnacle of the game.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 am

Scrappy wrote:Mick Malone is played by Frankie Worrall
Frankie is the South Australian fast bowler recruited from Melbourne this season

I went and saw a WSC game in Melbourne in the late 70s
Watched WSC on TV , cricket is cricket
Was not a great fan of the concept , but accepted it

WSC had this stigma image at the time of being Pyjama Cricket

I was in the Scrappy camp.

History is always written by the winners, but one area of WSC, that has never been raised but I have often I pondered was the players selected and not selected. Of course, WSC had, in general, the established stars, but with the Australians in particular there seemed to be a number of selection blunders in the players chosen. Hindsight is a marvellous thing, but how were Trevor Chappell, Martin Kent, Rob Langer and Dennis Yagmich amongst others chosen and Allan Border, Kim Hughes and although he wasn't really one of mine, Graham Yallop overlooked. Also even though his career went downhill after WSC, Gary Cosier's omission compared to the young WSC players was amazing at the time.

I once heard David Hookes say that though he wouldn't change having played WSC, he thought that his development suffered in comparison to Border and Hughes because he didn't have the exposure at a young age to the Indian spinners especially on the sub continent.

Last edited by robranisgod on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

redandblack wrote:All really interesting stuff.

The one thing that Test cricket has that sets it apart from the quicker forms of the game is character. Players' careers often come down to one innings, or just one stroke of luck. It's tension that means something, it just the tension of the moment.

In general, most of the games to remember are Test matches.

As an older fan, do younger cricket fans remember all the test matches of the last 10 years or so, or is it just one big continuous thing where it's hard to remember individual matches?

As a youngster, I remembered all matches, mainly because there weren't as many games, so they were the undisputed pinnacle of the game.

As a younger fan I still only remember test matches. I remember bits of some World Cup matches, but test matches are the games that provide the enduring memories.

The shorter forms of the game are primarily for entertainment IMO, and there's nothing wrong with that. Test matches are much more than that.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:31 pm

i think the time has come for wsc records to be endorsed & added to these players respective careers.....eg how many more wickets would be added to D.K.Lillie's record ? i'm still in two minds about 'rebel tours' though
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:09 am

Dennis Lillee was far and away the most successful bowler in WSC taking 67 wickets in 14 Supertests (just under 5 wickets per Supertest), and a further 54 wickets in One Day Internationals.

121 wickets, not a bad haul.
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Hawk,
Bayman raised an interesting question
Should Lillies WSC wickets be included in First class records and or Test Records ?

Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Scrappy wrote:Hawk,
Bayman raised an interesting question
Should Lillies WSC wickets be included in First class records and or Test Records ?

I think it's unreasonable to include them in Test records because players opted not to play for their countries and join up with Packer.

However, most sane thinking cricket people all support the notion that the matches should be included in first class records. When you hear people the ilk of Barry Richards, the Chappell brothers, Clive Lloyd, etc all say WSC was far and away the toughest cricket they ever played, then something needs to be to elevate the status of these games.

I can understand why they weren't included as 1st class matches at the time because of the feeling against WSC, but I still cannot believe 35 years has passed and nobody has righted the wrong, particularly in view of the obvious benefits WSC has brought to contemporary cricket.

The ridiculous thing is I have a mate who never played for SA in Sheffield Shield nor against a visiting country, and yet he was involved in some representative match which was allocated 1st class status. That match was 1st class, and yet Barry Richards making 207 against Lillee, Gilmour, Walker, Bright, etc is not. Crazy stuff.
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum