AFL Silly Season (aka Trade Period)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFL Silly Season (aka Trade Period)

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am

Well the trade period (starting with free agency) has some big moves already.

Goddard is off to Essendon and Tippett has announced this morning that he has quit Adelaide.

As an Adelaide fan I am very angry at the moment. I know football is a business but I can't help but feel Tippett has squeezed everything he can out of us and now the well is dry, he's off to find a fresh one.

We only plucked him from basketball obscurity, taught him how to play footy and then payed him massive overs for the last 3 years. Not to mention presenting him with a golden opportunity to win a flag in the next 5 years. Still not enough though apparently.

Thems the breaks I guess. I still reckon we can get a win from the situation with the freedom in the salary cap plus his trade value. We'll see how this plays out.
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Re: AFL Silly Season (aka Trade Period)

Post by Lee on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 am

Yes, Tippett's disappointing.

He's a very, very good player and is a big loss.

I can understand it if it's to Brisbane or GC, but not to somewhere else.
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am

I'm sick of players leaving Adelaide. I could understand it to some extent with their poor form over the past couple of years, but we were a kick away from a GF birth this year with a young squad full of potential. Why would you walk away from that? I just don't understand.

Everyone keeps saying that footy is a business blah blah, it's unfair for fans to get emotional about these things blah blah. I understand this but footy is an emotional game and I'm feeling pretty angry and disappointed today.

I just hope Adelaide can go into the trade period with cash and attractive premiership prospects this year and secure a big name in return. Not since D Jarman has Adelaide really been able to secure a big name in their prime.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Have to wonder now how that leaves West Adelaide situated in terms of Joel Tippett, and whether he will also depart the club - assuming he is not drafted also.

Anything less than two first round draft picks for Kurt Tippett would be disappointing for Adelaide. I almost wonder if it is time for Adelaide, however, to put a big name, older player who may not improve markedly any further for them, up for trade to secure another first round draft pick.

Feel free to shoot me down for it, and I very much doubt it would ever be entertained by the club, but I wonder if Scott Thompson could be that player. Will be 30 by the time the new season starts, and his body has taken a battering over the years. With younger midfielders such as Rory Sloane stepping up this year, and the likes of Brad Crouch not far from stepping up to senior football, a player like Thompson could be seen as a very attractive inside midfield prospect for a club like Gold Coast to support Gary Ablett Jnr, and could easily attract a first round pick.

If Adelaide was to emerge with three first round picks in a draft touted as one of the best of all time, it would be a great impetus toward building the next squad to be right yup for some time.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:13 pm

I think the problem with getting draft picks now though CK is that Adelaide are rippening for a premiership tilt right now. The majority of the squad are in the 20 - 25 yr bracket and any kid drafted now will take at least 2-3 years to develop, possibly longer for a KPP.

I would like to see Adelaide to hit the trade period aggressively, using money/draft picks to secure an experienced defender.

The only other possibility is to cash in on some of the SA talent at the Gold Coast should Tippett decide he's going home. There are plenty of likely names on that list that have had a couple of years in the system now.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Joel is signed for next year at West, I think.

He'll only leave if he's drafted or rookie drafted, but I'd say that's quite likely.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Mark Ricciuto reckons that Joel is leaving at the end of the year as well.

Absolutely disgusted if Kurt Tippett ends up at Sydney as rumoured. Could understand if he went home to Gold Coast or Brisbane but not Sydney.
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Sydney is what I'm hearing.
And that was before Tim Watson mentioned it the other day in the media.

Would Sydney offer Joel a lifeline on the rookie list as part of the deal (read carrot?)

We'll hear soon enough I think.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

I hope we do hear soon enough Chambo. The trade period goes until the end of October this year, God help us if it takes the whole month for them to work a trade. Neutral

Now he's made his call, get him off the books as quick as you can Adelaide, please!
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:20 am

It is an interesting one.
All other trades mentioned in the last week come with a "going to" club.

At the moment, Tippet just wants out of Adelaide.
You wouldn't say that if you didn't have some pretty good indication of where you are going.

I don't buy it is just "I wan't out". I am of the view that he has a deal done (or very close to) and maybe using other clubs interest as leverage to maybe extract a few more drips from his preferred club.

The other thing mentioned to me is that it is all about Kurt.
Apparently, he was none too impressed a season or so ago, when the media and footy punters got into him about his kicking for goal. Didn't go down well in the browny point scale for remaining in Adelaide.

So far everything that has happened or been said has been consistent with what I was told was going to happen.

My money is still on Sydney.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

Possibility here - and its just that - is that Sydney may consider a trade involving Heath Grundy returning home to SA.
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Mentioned on radio tonight that Joel Tippet is leaving West Adelaide with one year to run on a contract.
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 pm

The stars are aligning!

Another little tidbit I forgot to mention in what I heard, was that Joel would go wherever Kurt went.
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 am

Not surprised with that one to be honest.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 am

The more I think about this situation the more I think it will turn out to Adelaide's advantage.

A key position forward about to enter the peak of his powers at age 25 is pure gold on the open market. They are just so rare, Adelaide could really exploit the bidding war that is eventuating between teams who currently have no key forward - particularly as the trade period now lasts for a month.

They still have Walker to lead their attack, so Tippett doesn't need replacing, and they now have plenty of dough in their salary cap to burn. News this morning is that the pre-season loophole is not available to Tippett also.

It all adds up to Adelaide being able to name their price pretty much.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 am

I also think Jenkins is a star in the making.

Not dissimilar pathway to Tippett with a basketball background.
Although JJ is starting a bit later than Tippett in footy.

I have seen him in the sanfl with Sturt and in patches he has torn up a defence due to his size, agility and marking. His last game v Port Magpies was like watching Rick Davies all over again. Port didnt have a defender capable of holding him at the goal front. We had the luxury of 3 talls that day, something that hasn't been available most of the season.

But he had similar patches for the Crows.
If he can gain some consistency throughout a match, I think it could be like for like for the Crows. Jenkins ruck work is not as good as it would need to be to hold that key spot, but at the goal front is a different story.

If the Crows can get someone similar to Tippett then they get another tall option. If he goes to the Gold Coast, would they offer Sam Day (another big unit, still finding his feet) as a trade?

I would like that, as Day may get a few games with the Double Blues too.

Not holding my breath.....
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:26 am

Have to agree with that Chambo, very happy that Jenkins is on our list! Bonus being that the Crows will now have to recieve a good player for Tippet in return as its been revealed that GWS will in fact be having the first selection this year and he would be ideal for them over yet another junior player!
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

GC have said that Day & Gorringe are off the table, so unfortunately it doesn't look like you'll see Day at Sturt next year Chambo.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out, as most of the clubs being suggested at Tippett's preferred don't necessarily have anything to offer the Crows in return.

A lot of people as saying Sydney, but gee they'll have to work some magic with a third party to have anything to offer Adelaide for him.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Tippet has been told to give an answer to which club he wants to go to by Saturday afternoon or no deal will be done (source a Crows listed player)
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Henry Slattery rumoured to have been in Adelaide talking to Port today.

Also rumoured that Angus Monfries has signed a 4 year deal with Port.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”– H.L. Mencken
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

The Monfries deal been doing the rounds on db.org. Although not the Power. Hmmm....

Mainly as to whether he is ahead of Porpoise and Callinan for the small forward gig at the Canaries.
Reckon they are all about even steven, imo.

However, I won't complain if Porpoise and Callinan are ahead of him! Wink

Bur if he goes to Port................... Crying or Very sad
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 am

Yea, I've heard Monfries being bandied about but I don't really think Adelaide need a player of his type. Key defender is really what they need if anything.

Trade period officially starts today, will be interesting to see whether it will play out differently now that it runs for a month rather than a week.

Traditionally most deals were done in the last day, would be amusing if that still happened despite the extra time.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 pm

A couple of trades between GWS & CG with draft picks changing hands for pre-listed underage players.

Daniher to Essendon & Viney to Melbourne with Father/Son picks via the new bidding process.

Whispers of a deal for Monfries to head to Port to be done by the end of the day today.
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Monfries to Port a done deal

Lake to Hawthorn also a done deal apparently.

Quite a few trades happening today considering the trade period goes for a month now!
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 am

Gorringe and Day have both been in for medicals at the AFC....
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum